The Student Room Group

I want to study Politics at uni. How to increase my chances?

Currently, studying AS and am really enjoying Politics. Both myself and my teacher would like me to carry it on further.

What do I need to do to make my application next year stand out? What EC activities, work experience?
As in the title - How can I increase my chances of studying Politics? Other than getting the grades!

Scroll to see replies

If you can get work experience with a local MP or councillor, that'd look brilliant. It's pretty difficult to get some work with an MP, but even if it's just sorting out their paperwork or making tea, it all counts for something.

If your school has a school council, or if there's an opportunity to be a prefect (most likely next year) then definitely go for that.

Volunteering can sometimes be good too, even if it isn't directly related to government, you're bound to find something interesting, such as charity work or fundraising for an NGO. A lot of these require little commitment and are very flexible, meaning you can do a few days once exams are finished or perhaps over the summer break.

Lectures and outside reading are also useful, there's quite a few good ones at the London School of Economics if you're close to London, although they also put them onto iTunes as podcasts afterwards so you don't have to worry too much about physically being there.

Other than that, you don't really need much in terms of extracurricular activities or work experience. These were the types of things that an Oxford applicant at my school had and he got an interview, but there's some other people in my Politics who applied to RG universities with very little/no work experience in Politics and have gotten offers.

Best of luck!
First and foremost, get the grades.

Then, do some reading of relevant books - an introductory textbook or classic text never did anyone's application any harm.

Beyond that, talks / public lectures by MPs and others involved in politics are always useful.

Relevant work experience and volunteering is always nice up have, but far from essential - politics is an academic course, which is not in any way intended to prepare you to be an MP or similar.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by moggington
If you can get work experience with a local MP or councillor, that'd look brilliant. It's pretty difficult to get some work with an MP, but even if it's just sorting out their paperwork or making tea, it all counts for something.

If your school has a school council, or if there's an opportunity to be a prefect (most likely next year) then definitely go for that.

Volunteering can sometimes be good too, even if it isn't directly related to government, you're bound to find something interesting, such as charity work or fundraising for an NGO. A lot of these require little commitment and are very flexible, meaning you can do a few days once exams are finished or perhaps over the summer break.

Lectures and outside reading are also useful, there's quite a few good ones at the London School of Economics if you're close to London, although they also put them onto iTunes as podcasts afterwards so you don't have to worry too much about physically being there.

Other than that, you don't really need much in terms of extracurricular activities or work experience. These were the types of things that an Oxford applicant at my school had and he got an interview, but there's some other people in my Politics who applied to RG universities with very little/no work experience in Politics and have gotten offers.

Best of luck!

Thanks for your thorough reply.

I already have work experience with my MP from year 10, but I might try and get something with a councillor too. That's a good idea!

I don't think we have prefects because I go to a sixth-form college but I was a prefect in year 11.

Again, good idea! I'll aim to get something over the summer if I don't manage to get a part-time job.

I'll look into lectures as I don't live too far from London so it would be possible and look great. I'm going to try and do some outside reading too which will also be useful for my Politics Alevel too I'm sure.

Going through this make me more confident, thanks a bunch for your help! And good luck for whatever you're currently doing in life :wink:
Reply 4
Original post by Origami Bullets
First and foremost, get the grades.

Then, do some reading of relevant books - an introductory textbook or classic text never did anyone's application any harm.

Beyond that, talks / public lectures by MPs and others involved in politics are always useful.

Relevant work experience and volunteering is always nice up have, but far from essential - politics is an academic course, which is not in any way intended to prepare you to be an MP or similar.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for your reply. I think extra reading will be a great idea and also help for my current course.
Just a note on the volunteering advice... Please ensure your volunteering is relevant! Nobody is impressed with irrelevant volunteering. You're not handing out soup because you want to, you're doing it to write it on your personal statement, and they can see through this - so make sure you're at least benefiting from the time you're giving.

Remember - there's no such thing as an altruist!
Reply 6
Original post by pmc:producer
Just a note on the volunteering advice... Please ensure your volunteering is relevant! Nobody is impressed with irrelevant volunteering. You're not handing out soup because you want to, you're doing it to write it on your personal statement, and they can see through this - so make sure you're at least benefiting from the time you're giving.

Remember - there's no such thing as an altruist!

Ah yeah, I see what you mean. In that case, Where would you suggest is a good place to volunteer?
Original post by SophF_rth
Ah yeah, I see what you mean. In that case, Where would you suggest is a good place to volunteer?

I think you've already had excellent advice here regarding getting close to a MP! Contact your local MP and ask if you can help out/shadow him - even ask to arrange a meeting with him to discuss it. Treat him special, ask lots about him and his work... Before you know it you'll be filing and making tea (as mentioned) but it's a great addition to your CV!
Politics at Uni isnt a vocational course; it doesnt train you to be an MP, and it will not concentrate on British Parliamentary politics alone.

Politics is about 'the negotiation of power relationships' - at all levels and in all environments. So, any voluntary work that gives you experience of how 'other people live' is valuable - especially if you come from a fairly middle-class background. A few days voluntary work in an inner-city drug rehab centre or an aged care home will show you vastly more about deprivation, equality and social justice than you could ever learn through A levels. See http://www.charityjob.co.uk/volunteer-jobs for ideas.

Also, you need to start to get to grips with political theory and the 'higher level' thinking expected for a Uni course in politics. Try these or similar for a start :

1. http://www.amazon.com/Introduction-Political-Philosophy-Jonathan-Wolff/dp/019929609X

2. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Politics-Palgrave-Foundations-Andrew-Heywood/dp/0230363385/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1387384210&sr=1-1&keywords=palgrave+politics

You dont have to buy them - you can get them on inter-library loan from your local library.
(edited 10 years ago)
Work at East Anglia Politics Faculty, email them :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by yasminzaracc
Work at East Anglia Politics Faculty, email them :smile:

Thank you :tongue: But that's pretty far away :frown:
Thank you :tongue: But that's pretty far away :frown:

Tbh you don't need to do anything as impressive sounding as that to get in. I applied for International Relations and IR with Politics a few years ago, I had:
-1 weeks work experience with an MP
and
-Read a few political magazines - one left, one right, one centre, think they were The Spectator, The Economist and one other.
-Worked as a youth worker

I got all my offers, helped by the fact that in my personal statement I didn't just list what I'd done- I put what skills I'd gained from them, thats what matters more to universities.
Reply 12
Original post by jelly1000
Tbh you don't need to do anything as impressive sounding as that to get in. I applied for International Relations and IR with Politics a few years ago, I had:
-1 weeks work experience with an MP
and
-Read a few political magazines - one left, one right, one centre, think they were The Spectator, The Economist and one other.
-Worked as a youth worker

I got all my offers, helped by the fact that in my personal statement I didn't just list what I'd done- I put what skills I'd gained from them, thats what matters more to universities.

Thank for you reply. Okay, great! I am a subscriber to The Economist :biggrin: I'll look into reading other too.

Out of interest, where did you apply?
Thank for you reply. Okay, great! I am a subscriber to The Economist :biggrin: I'll look into reading other too.

Out of interest, where did you apply?

No problem! I read three to show I was aware of the line of thought on all sides of the political spectrum as it doesn't help going into a politics degree if your narrow minded.

And first time round Sheffield, Leeds, Birmingham, UEA, Portsmouth.

Second time round Leeds, Birmingham, UEA, Nottingham Trent, Portsmouth.

Got all my offers both times just missed the grades the first time so took a year out to retake and reapply.
Reply 14
Currently, studying AS and am really enjoying Politics. Both myself and my teacher would like me to carry it on further.

What do I need to do to make my application next year stand out? What EC activities, work experience?
As in the title - How can I increase my chances of studying Politics? Other than getting the grades!

-Grades
-Work experience with MP
-Good and relevant other a levels such as, history, English lit, r.s ect
-Books
-Political Party memeber?
-Continue Politic for A2
-Generally good extra circular stuff like DofE and sport
-Doing a politics based EPQ or an independent essay
-Election campaigning with MP or councilor
-Reading a paper and magazine

Thats lol. I can think of, I did most of that for my PS and UCAS but not all, still getting good offers! Good luck?
Original post by Will95206

-Political Party memeber?

I can't fault your reasoning, but it shouldn't be forgotten that at degree level very few politics students are party political!

Pressure group membership / activism will look equally good - I was a member of Liberty for PS purposes!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16

Hello! I'm elated to see another potential Politics-freak! :biggrin:

Remember, your Personal Statement next year is limited to 4000 characters and 47 lines, so there's little point in trying to do EVERYTHING, because you won't be able to include it all. Things that you could look for that are great to include:

Academic (to show skills)

- Summer Schools (an impressive showing of academic dedication)
- Extended Project (brilliant, no explanation needed)
- Essay competitions etc (shows writing skills)

Political events(to show interest)

- MP work experience (just ASK!)
- Mock events (EU, UN, Parliament)
- Conferences (LSE does a pretty good one)

Local (same up as both above, but easier achieved)

- Read relevant and interesting political literature & philosophy (Paine, Hobbes, Socrates, Mill etc) <<< Forms the basis of my own PS
- Take part in school clubs - debating or otherwise
- Take-up a student leadership position (not too much, should only take up a fraction of your statement)

This is only stuff that I managed to do, so it's by no imagination a comprehensive or decisive list (even then, I had to have certain things omitted and put into my reference from these, due to space issues).

Feel free to inbox me if you need to know more; I'd be happy to help! :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)
If you’re solely concerned with getting UCAS offers I wouldn’t get too hung up about ECs. Most of my personal statement was complete rubbish about future career aspirations that changed during my three years of study. I didn’t have much in the way of ECs and they didn’t seem to mind. AAA at A-level seemed enough to get offers.

However I would suggest work experience and volunteering are a good thing as there will come a time when you need to impress people in the “real world” outside the ivory tower of academia.
I got a first from Nottingham and was told I was “easily in the top ten students in the year group”.

Thing is the ability to pass exams is not a particularly useful skill in the real world. Employers are going to take far more notice of some decent work experience and ECs than the ability to critique post-structural feminism.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 18
Yes good idea with the summer schools but also attend taster day in politics, there are 2 slots on UCAS where you can put them in called additional info, came out this year, that way you can attend taster days in Politics and not have to write about them in your PS!
(edited 10 years ago)
There are also lots of Public Lectures at your local Uni you can attend, and talk about in your PS - see http://www.bath.ac.uk/podcast/ for examples.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending