The Student Room Group

Probability question

Four people are playing a game of cards in which they each receive 13 cards.

What is the probability that in a given deal one player receives two aces, one player receives no aces and the other 2 players have once ace each?
Original post by stealth_writer
Four people are playing a game of cards in which they each receive 13 cards.

What is the probability that in a given deal one player receives two aces, one player receives no aces and the other 2 players have once ace each?

What have you done/tried, and what are your thoughts?
Original post by ghostwalker
What have you done/tried, and what are your thoughts?

Well I've tried a massive tree diagram and drank three cans of red bull to help sustain my efforts. But still no clue. Could you help me please mate? cheers
Well I've tried a massive tree diagram and drank three cans of red bull to help sustain my efforts. But still no clue. Could you help me please mate? cheers

Clue: You want to work with combinatorics, and consider how many ways you can arrive at a deal that meets your criterion, and how many deals there are without any restrictions. The ratio of the two gives you your probability.

I think that's the easiest way.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by ghostwalker
Clue: You want to work with combinatorics, and consider how many ways you can arrive at a deal that meets your criterion, and how many deals there are without any restrictions. The ratio of the two gives you your probability.

I think that's the easiest way.

The only bit i am struggling with- how many different ways are there to distribute the four aces at a deal that satisfies the criteria in the question exactly? Please could show me how many different ways to there are to distribute the 4 aces as desired in the Q? I should be ok from after that. Thanks
The only bit i am struggling with- how many different ways are there to distribute the four aces at a deal that satisfies the criteria in the question exactly? Please could show me how many different ways to there are to distribute the 4 aces as desired in the Q? I should be ok from after that. Thanks

You could start by distributing 3 aces, so you have 1,1,1,0 - how many ways?

Then distribute the 4th ace to a hand that already has one - how many ways?

I confess to being lost as to how you're actually doing it, but the above should lead you to the answer to the bit you're struggling with.

Edit: Depending on how you're doing it, you may just be looking for the number of arrangements of 2,1,1,0, which would just be 4!/2!
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest