jacksonmeg
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hello, basically I need to get an A in A2 biology, in AS I got
114/150
72/90
36/60 (coursework being resat due to OCR being noobs)
I was 18 UMS off an A, is it possible for me to get an overall in A2? Should I resit any of the other exams?

Im currently writting notes, going through past papers and making revision cards, can anyone recommend anything else I should do? I seem to do badly in the exams even though the concepts aren't difficult to understand... I write completely the wrong thing, how can I combat this? :confused:

Please quote so I can see replies
SmaugTheTerrible
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
work hard.
jacksonmeg
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by adamsmithqm)
I did the exact same course as you last year and at AS I got 264/300 which very high A. I then got two B's and a D in my ISA at A2 and got a B overall which I was absolutely gutted about. A2 bio is quite a bit harder as your have to learn much more. F215 is a *****! I could have still got an A had I got 4 more marks in my ISA's so the only thing I can really say is work really hard

I don't know if this helps but this was my module breakdown:

AS
F211: 78/90 (A)
F212: 137/150 (A)
ISA: 48/60 (A)

A2
F214: 63/90 (B)
F215: 110/150 (B)
ISA: 32/60 (D) FFSSS!!!!!!!

B overall
more worrying then helpful
SmaugTheTerrible
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by jacksonmeg)
more worrying then helpful
sorry

I just really messed up my ISA's and had I got a B in them which was only about 4 marks more I would have gotten an A overall.
Emcousin
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by jacksonmeg)
Hello, basically I need to get an A in A2 biology, in AS I got
114/150
72/90
36/60 (coursework being resat due to OCR being noobs)
I was 18 UMS off an A, is it possible for me to get an overall in A2? Should I resit any of the other exams?

Im currently writting notes, going through past papers and making revision cards, can anyone recommend anything else I should do? I seem to do badly in the exams even though the concepts aren't difficult to understand... I write completely the wrong thing, how can I combat this? :confused:

Please quote so I can see replies
Hiya, I do OCR bio too, and got a high A at AS
If you manage to bring your AS coursework up as close to 100% as you can, and then really work in the summer to get high ums in the A2 exams and cw, it's definitely possible to get an A this year
I'd find it more of a challenge resitting one of the AS units on top of revising for the A2 ones than just revising loads for A2 so rather focus on this year, and the coursework resit, and you'll get that A

With regards to revising, I'm a bit of a crammer/last minute person so I doubt I can help much on that front
What I've always found helps though is to just concentrate fully in class, and try to understand it as best as possible the first time I'm taught a topic. And I really mean UNDERSTAND, not just memorising e.g. with the Calvin cycle, know WHY each step happens, and then you'll remember the how. It needs to be logical, so even if you forget a little bit, you can reason it out. So, while you can, ask loads of questions and get the concept and understanding of each topic lodged in your brain as best you can, and then the revision you do afterwards will just be reaffirming that. Also, if notes/revision cards don't seem to be working that well for you, maybe after you've learnt a topic (via revision guides, notes, revision cards, whatever), sit someone down in front of you, no one specific, and tell them everything about that topic you can remember and teach them it. I think that works because it's using different parts of your brain or something, and also in order to teach someone else you need to understand what you're teaching, so that helps too. Or there's the standard mind maps etc (I've never found them useful, the teaching thing however I find really helps, especially right before an exam) but I guess mind maps can be useful for linking different parts within a topic together.

So that's revision covered. Ish. Exams is just practice and technique. Do as many past papers as you can, without looking at the mark scheme. And one you're done, go over the past paper with your textbook and fill in any extra detail to your answers in a different coloured pen, and then mark it properly, adding in what you missed in a third colour. I find this really helps because certain questions and types of questions always come up and you start to learn what they want in them pretty quickly.
Hope this helped, and good luck
JohnTerry123
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
hi
does anyone have the June 2013 past paper or mark scheme?
please would be much appreciated.
thanks
Namsu
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by adamsmithqm)
I did the exact same course as you last year and at AS I got 264/300 which very high A. I then got two B's and a D in my ISA at A2 and got a B overall which I was absolutely gutted about. A2 bio is quite a bit harder as your have to learn much more. F215 is a *****! I could have still got an A had I got 4 more marks in my ISA's so the only thing I can really say is work really hard

I don't know if this helps but this was my module breakdown:

AS
F211: 78/90 (A)
F212: 137/150 (A)
ISA: 48/60 (A)

A2
F214: 63/90 (B)
F215: 110/150 (B)
ISA: 32/60 (D) FFSSS!!!!!!!

B overall
Aaaaw!! Thats is so unlucky!!!! I can imagine how you must have felt... but I think you somehow motivated me. I have to get an A now!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Clemclem
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Sorry that this is the wrong thread guys,

Can somebody explain this genetics question to me?

Coat colour in mice is controlled by two genes. Gene 1 controls whether fur is coloured (C) or albino (c). Gene 2 controls whether the colour is grey (G) or black (g). Gene 1 is epistatic over gene 2. Describe and explain the phenotypic ratio produced in F2 generation from a CCGG x ccgg cross.

I don't understand how you know which type of epistasis is happening :/

Thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (61)
29.33%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (15)
7.21%
No I am happy with my choice (116)
55.77%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (16)
7.69%

Watched Threads