The Student Room Group

..Is my arm supposed to hurt like this after a blood test? +pix

Just as an advance warning, do not read if you're squeamish!

I had a blood test this morning since I was ill last week and still felt exhausted. I''ve only ever had one once that I remember, which was fine - not too painful & only left a tiny dot mark. I'm terrified of needles but went ahead and had it done anyway. The nurse was very friendly, took the blood while I was lying down and tried to make conversation so I didn't think about the needle. It was much more painful than last time - I felt faint and shaky after so I was told to sit outside and drink some water.

It's been achey all day- it hurts to type or do anything with my right arm, food shopping earlier was a bit of a joke. I took the plaster off and it looks worse than I remember it being. I keep getting mild shooting pains in my arm too. Yes, it is slightly phallus shaped which at least keeps me entertained through the aching!

Pic:

Is this a normal reaction or should I go back to the doctor/panic yet? :smile:
Mines went like that but I'm a nightmare to get blood out of apparently. I ended up like a pin cushion. I wouldn't worry, give it a day or two and it should go back to normal
Reply 2
I've had blood drawn from me plenty of times. There should be no reaction. However, go to sleep and see how you feel in the morning.
Reply 3
Original post by Staceyc1990
Mines went like that but I'm a nightmare to get blood out of apparently. I ended up like a pin cushion. I wouldn't worry, give it a day or two and it should go back to normal

Thanks for your quick reply! I'll leave it & see if it gets better :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by mxcs
Just as an advance warning, do not read if you're squeamish!

I had a blood test this morning since I was ill last week and still felt exhausted. I''ve only ever had one once that I remember, which was fine - not too painful & only left a tiny dot mark. I'm terrified of needles but went ahead and had it done anyway. The nurse was very friendly, took the blood while I was lying down and tried to make conversation so I didn't think about the needle. It was much more painful than last time - I felt faint and shaky after so I was told to sit outside and drink some water.

It's been achey all day- it hurts to type or do anything with my right arm, food shopping earlier was a bit of a joke. I took the plaster off and it looks worse than I remember it being. I keep getting mild shooting pains in my arm too. Yes, it is slightly phallus shaped which at least keeps me entertained through the aching!

Pic:

Is this a normal reaction or should I go back to the doctor/panic yet? :smile:

mxcs, few days before I was dealing with illness because of obesity and I have go with many blood tests. I had got same spot as your and it healed in few days. So don't get panicked.
know more
(edited 10 years ago)
It happens to me when I have blood tests sometimes, it's perfectly normal I think. Don't worry about it. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest