Lonely in London - looking for FRIENDS! Watch

veryfatpanda
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi there
I graduated as a teacher in July. I live in South West London and am feeling rather lonely! I made a few friends in uni but they have since moved back home and work so they can't really make it down here!

I'm 22 and female, and I am in to the alternative scene. I like to go out for a drink or explore London and discover some hidden gems.

I was wondering if anyone else is finding it hard making friends in London?
rock_climber86
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
look at meetup.co.uk or join an interest group

Posted from TSR Mobile
Musie Suzie
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by veryfatpanda)
Hi there
I graduated as a teacher in July. I live in South West London and am feeling rather lonely! I made a few friends in uni but they have since moved back home and work so they can't really make it down here!

I'm 22 and female, and I am in to the alternative scene. I like to go out for a drink or explore London and discover some hidden gems.

I was wondering if anyone else is finding it hard making friends in London?
I am... I'm 22 and at uni, but my course is tiny (fewer than 40) and we study in a building that's away from the main uni buildings, so I don't get much chance to spend time with other students (kinda missed the friendship groups boat within my course in first year) and I feel very alone. I do have some lovely friends that I met in halls but we don't see each other much as they're on other courses and we're all busy/live far apart. They're also not the kind for nights out, and I'd love to go out and discover more of London's nightlife, and also like going for wanders in the day and finding new places.

PM me if you'd like to
robthefool
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I live in south west London a well and find the same problem! Although I am only 20, my friends are all away from home now so I never see them anymore!
und3niable_
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm only 19, from London and have this problem haha.
Zenomorph
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Alternative scene ?
MrDystopia
  • Section Leader
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I am happy to meet up with anyone, given I live/have lived here in London all my life
SoftPunch
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Join a dating site, OP, if it's a problem.
SikO124
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by SoftPunch)
Join a dating site, OP, if it's a problem.
I think she's not looking for dates :facepalm2:
SoftPunch
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by SikO124)
I think she's not looking for dates :facepalm2:
Looks like you've never been on a dating website.
You can choose option on almost every single dating website that you're just looking for friends.
veryfatpanda
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I have been on dating sites for friends in the past, but only one person has remained a friend. Everyone else turned out to be creepy and hanging on in the hopes of getting a date out of it! I also find most dating sites pretty odd.

I have looked on Meet up and found a few groups to join there. I think the longer I leave it the more I seem to develop this weird shy trait. I need a minion!
rock_climber86
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by SoftPunch)
Looks like you've never been on a dating website.
You can choose option on almost every single dating website that you're just looking for friends.
thats bull****! people dont go to dating websites to look for friends! they go there for sex or relationships! For friendly meetups people use stuff like meet up or some kind of interest group. A dating website is just that...dating/sex website! Why else would people use it? No one goes to a dating website thinking: "hey i'm going to meet a girl of the same gender as me for a pint and become her friend." Just no!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
SoftPunch
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by rock_climber86)
thats bull****! people dont go to dating websites to look for friends! they go there for sex or relationships! For friendly meetups people use stuff like meet up or some kind of interest group. A dating website is just that...dating/sex website! Why else would people use it? No one goes to a dating website thinking: "hey i'm going to meet a girl of the same gender as me for a pint and become her friend." Just no!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Speak for yourself.
ALDNGraduate
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I have actually just moved back to London myself after a few years away. I'm 24 and a lot of my friends have already moved away. Seeing as though there are a few of us in this position perhaps we could meet up at a pub somewhere? I know I'm not alone In feeling lonely in London and if a few of us met up perhaps that could be the start of a social circle.
Crazy92
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I would be interested in this!
LauraLawPol
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
To the people saying they are lonely, I can completely empathise. People say 'just talk to more people' but at times it just isn't that easy is it? I find living in London terribly lonely at times. I stupidly somewhat focused on a small group of friends in the first year of uni and now I'm my second year I am not close with these people at all, and despite living with one of them I feel so alone.

I really feel like I could be a great friend but I am just painfully shy at times I find it hard to broaden my horizons and approach new people.

Anyone in London looking to just get in contact with me I would really appreciate it. Despite whinging in this post I honestly think I am a nice person with a lot of time and kindness to give!!
pinkglitterx
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I feel the same! My uni course works out that we will be on placement all this yr at different times so will hardly see friends!
Anyone else a student in london, would be gd to meet up as a group
LauraLawPol
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
A meetup sounds great

Posted from TSR Mobile
pinkglitterx
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Anyone a good organiser out there?! Haha! I'm more of a turn up when all sorted kind of person :P If anyone is interested in a meet up I suppose we could PM each-other on here? and once we get a few people decide on somewhere/ sometime to meet up that's convenient for us all?!
LauraLawPol
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Sounds like you're quite a good organiser! haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (107)
17.34%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (65)
10.53%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (108)
17.5%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (92)
14.91%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (62)
10.05%
How can I be the best version of myself? (183)
29.66%

Watched Threads