The Student Room Group

The male equivalent to slut shaming, virgin shaming?

'Slut shaming' is something that I've heard mentioned a hell of a lot in my life recently (on TSR too), and I was wondering how people would then respond to the male equivalent, which to me would be sexual inexperience/the ageing virgin. We're told now that women should not be ridiculed for promiscuity, as they are sexual beings and we need to break down the walls of patriarchy and promote sexual freedom.

Then, why do we still ridicule men so much for being sexually inexperienced? We all know that the ageing male virgin is an object of cultural ridicule. I mean, how many times have you heard a guy insulted (particularly on the internet) for being a 'pathetic virgin'? Probably several thousand times. This applies perfectly to TSR, the amount of times I've heard girls (and guys too tbf) respond with 'you need to get laid' or 'obviously a virgin'. Often these are said with no basis, merely because they disagreed with them, particularly if its something relating to feminism. So what do people think?

(Anticipating somebody responding with I need to get laid or something, so mentioning this should stop any cheap repwhoring. I think this applies to women to some extent too, but no more than 'slut shaming' does for men imo. And also not nearly as damaging, in both cases)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by dosvidaniya
'Slut shaming' is something that I've heard mentioned a hell of a lot in my life recently (on TSR too), and I was wondering how people would then respond to the male equivalent, which to me would be sexual inexperience/the ageing virgin. We're told now that women should not be ridiculed for promiscuity, as they are sexual beings and we need to break down the walls of patriarchy and promote sexual freedom.

Then, why do we still ridicule men so much for being sexually inexperienced? We all know that the ageing male virgin is an object of cultural ridicule. I mean, how many times have you heard a guy insulted (particularly on the internet) for being a 'pathetic virgin'? Probably several thousand times. This applies perfectly to TSR, the amount of times I've heard girls (and guys too tbf) respond with 'you need to get laid' or 'obviously a virgin'. Often these are said with no basis, merely because they disagreed with them, particularly if its something relating to feminism. So what do people think?

(Anticipating somebody responding with I need to get laid or something, so mentioning this should stop any cheap repwhoring. I think this applies to women to some extent too, but no more than 'slut shaming' does for men imo. And also not nearly as damaging, in both cases)

I don't ridicule men for being sexually inexperienced - it's usually men doing that too
Reply 2
Original post by aeon439
I don't ridicule men for being sexually inexperienced - it's usually men doing that too

It's not really aimed at women exclusively. Women call other women sluts a lot too...
Reply 3
It's not really aimed at women exclusively. Women call other women sluts a lot too...

I don't

Who cares what anyone says about your/anyone else's level of sexual experience anyway??
Reply 4
Original post by aeon439
I don't

Who cares what anyone says about your/anyone else's level of sexual experience anyway??

Lol that's irrelevant.

I don't personally, but you can't be so blind to see that sex is a massive part of a (particularly younger) person's identity.
Reply 5
Lol that's irrelevant.

I don't personally, but you can't be so blind to see that sex is a massive part of a (particularly younger) person's identity.

I've probably forgotten - I'm 47 so it's all in my past lol
Reply 6
Original post by aeon439
I've probably forgotten - I'm 47 so it's all in my past lol

I'm not sure about the slut thing with girls, but a lot of guys will get offended at you calling them a virgin.

I would assume that it's the same with girls when they're called sluts.
Reply 7
Original post by NathanW18
I'm not sure about the slut thing with girls, but a lot of guys will get offended at you calling them a virgin.

I would assume that it's the same with girls when they're called sluts.

No women have ever called me one that I know of and if they did I wouldn't give a toss

It's a meaningless word to me as their opinion of my sexual habits is irrelevant to me

Being called unattractive - that would get to me, but a slut implies you get lots of sex so why is it hurtful??

I'd never call a man a virgin or imply he was or be bothered if he was as it's nothing to be shamed of
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by aeon439
No women have ever called me one that I know of and if they did I wouldn't give a toss

It's a meaningless word to me as their opinion of my sexual habits is irrelevant to me

Being called unattractive - that would get to me, but a slut implies you get lots of sex so why is it hurtful??

I'd never call a man a virgin or imply he was or be bothered if he was as it's nothing to be shamed of

That's good that it doesn't effect you, but it's hurtful to a lot of other people.

The negative connotations in society, I guess.

Maybe you wouldn't, but a lot of people do. It is a very common insult towards men. You can see it on this forum all the time.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by NathanW18
That's good that it doesn't effect you, but it's hurtful to a lot of other people.

The negative connotations in society, I guess.

When I was a virgin I was worried about getting rid of it but no one made me feel bad about being one

it's just another thing for stupid, insensitive people to joke about, as they do with everything
Reply 10
Sex seems like the most important thing in the world until you've had it. Then...meh.
I'd call someone a virgin regardless of gender. It's equally an insult.
Reply 12
I completely agree, I love how TSR's resident "promiscuous" girl likes to insult some people because of their virginity but gets offended when someone points out the fact no one wants to get with someone so used up.
Reply 13

That's sometimes in jest...situation depending. Either way as for the virgin thing it'd be an insult to either party. I don't really do this though... Tbf its mainly men who would mock other men for being virgins or whatever but yes sometimes girls make snide comments (esp. on here) like 'obviously a virgin' and what not.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister

I've never seen you call a woman here a virgin before.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister

Disgusting.
Original post by 2ndClass
I completely agree, I love how TSR's resident "promiscuous" girl likes to insult some people because of their virginity but gets offended when someone points out the fact no one wants to get with someone so used up.
<br />
<br />

whos TSRs resident 'promiscuous' girl?
I don't see what it has to do with feminism. I've personally found it works all ways today. It's like people are expected to find a specific number of people to sleep with by a certain age to be socially acceptable. I know people being called man-whores or sad virgins, then women being viewed as too loose or frigid. When I was younger someone told me before a birthday that "you're getting on now, you really need to do something about it" (my virginity). "Something about it"? It's not like a little rash that you need to take care of. I don't think it's anyone's business how many people a person sleeps with or if they ever do. Whether they are male or female it creates unneeded anxiety.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Eva.Gregoria
I've never seen you call a woman here a virgin before.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have once

Original post by manchesterunited15
Disgusting.

Why? It's no different to any other insult
Reply 19
Original post by lucine.B
That's sometimes in jest...situation depending. Either way as for the virgin thing it'd be an insult to either party. I don't really do this though... Tbf its mainly men who would mock other men for being virgins or whatever but yes sometimes girls make snide comments (esp. on here) like 'obviously a version' and what not.

It is clearly more offensive to men though, as we don't have slut shamingand its easier for girls to get laid.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending