The Student Room Group

Best Uni for Consulting/IB

Hi,

I wanted to know which course would be better in terms of graduate prospects and salary? I wanted to know which would be better to get me into a consultancy job with a good firm or an IB?

I am torn and have offers from both, Lancaster for Management and Reading for Business and Management, both with placement year. But I have heard reading is highly recognised for business degrees?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by wkahn
Hi,

I wanted to know which course would be better in terms of graduate prospects and salary? I wanted to know which would be better to get me into a consultancy job with a good firm or an IB?

I am torn and have offers from both, Lancaster for Management and Reading for Business and Management, both with placement year. But I have heard reading is highly recognised for business degrees?

Probably Reading, both aren't that ideal though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by will2348
Probably Reading, both aren't that ideal though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why do you say Reading? And what would be ideal then?
Original post by wkahn
Why do you say Reading? And what would be ideal then?

Well I don't know for sure, but Reading comes across as more reputable for those subjects.

Ideally you'd want Oxbridge, LSE, UCL, Imperial, Warwick. Or failing that, Durham, Bath, Nottingham, Bristol, Manchester or Cass etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Well I don't know for sure, but Reading comes across as more reputable for those subjects.

Ideally you'd want Oxbridge, LSE, UCL, Imperial, Warwick. Or failing that, Durham, Bath, Nottingham, Bristol, Manchester or Cass etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay thanks, what uni you at studying what? Also what do you think my chances are if I do go to Reading?
Original post by wkahn
Okay thanks, what uni you at studying what? Also what do you think my chances are if I do go to Reading?

I'm at Cass but I have a scholarship so I have no debt whatsoever. I mean, I see people from Reading at events, but the people from Reading who are interested compared to the people from Reading in FO is very, very slim. Possible though, you'll just have to work way harder than most with grades, networking, ECs, building your competencies etc.

Not sure there is an awful lot in it though OP between the two unis you mentioned.

Outside the top six, breaking into FO IB is a downhill struggle, really tough. You really have to want it and push yourself through the system.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
I'm at Cass but I have a scholarship so I have no debt whatsoever. I mean, I see people from Reading at events, but the people from Reading who are interested compared to the people from Reading in FO is very, very slim. Possible though, you'll just have to work way harder than most with grades, networking, ECs, building your competencies etc.

Not sure there is an awful lot in it though OP between the two unis you mentioned.

Outside the top six, breaking into FO IB is a downhill struggle, really tough. You really have to want it and push yourself through the system.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay thanks I get what you mean, but isn't that because not everyone at Reading is interested in FO IB? Also I will try and obtain a first, what other things could I do to increase my chances, like what EC's? And networking, but how and where?

Thanks
Original post by wkahn
Okay thanks I get what you mean, but isn't that because not everyone at Reading is interested in FO IB? Also I will try and obtain a first, what other things could I do to increase my chances, like what EC's? And networking, but how and where?

Thanks

Not sure about MO/BO but probably a significant more in those type of roles.

I don't know, see what your uni has to offer. Maybe some sport, a conference, a finance society, a newspaper, just anything where you can try and get a role of responsibility.

UCL and LSE Finance/Investment Banking Conferences are both good. If banks don't actively come to your uni they usually run events at their own building that students can go to (sometimes restricted to London unis though). No harm in trying to reach out to people on LinkedIn either.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Not sure about MO/BO but probably a significant more in those type of roles.

I don't know, see what your uni has to offer. Maybe some sport, a conference, a finance society, a newspaper, just anything where you can try and get a role of responsibility.

UCL and LSE Finance/Investment Banking Conferences are both good. If banks don't actively come to your uni they usually run events at their own building that students can go to (sometimes restricted to London unis though). No harm in trying to reach out to people on LinkedIn either.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ohh right yeah and also if I can't get into IB then what are my chances of getting into a good consultancy job? Such as with a firm like Bain, Accenture or mckinsey etc?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by wkahn
Ohh right yeah and also if I can't get into IB then what are my chances of getting into a good consultancy job? Such as with a firm like Bain, Accenture or mckinsey etc?

Generally speaking at MBB firms, it's harder than IB. But Accenture would be your most likely bet - that's probably achievable with a lot of hard work.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Generally speaking at MBB firms, it's harder than IB. But Accenture would be your most likely bet - that's probably achievable with a lot of hard work.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ohh right, btw how much do Accenture pay at graduate level when you start, 35/40k? And why is that easier to get into than MBB firms?
Original post by wkahn
ohh right, btw how much do Accenture pay at graduate level when you start, 35/40k? And why is that easier to get into than MBB firms?

MBB firms are more prestigious and thus more competitive. Honestly have no idea about Accenture salaries, I'd be pretty shocked if it was less than 30k though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by wkahn

Thanks

Networking is without a doubt overrated. It is an American thing that people read about on sites such as WSO and M&I. It seems people think that if you go to an event and introduce yourself then when you apply, the recruiter will remember how amazing you are and simply give you an offer.

The best way to stand out is through the application forms that everyone has to fill in. To do this, do attend company events etc, but just take notes of (a) who is speaking and what their role is and (b) what they're talking about - that way, when you're filling in competency questions you can have a 'story' about how through attending these events and meeting so and so and hearing them speak about M&A in the south african auto industry etc you realised how X bank was unique etc. Just refer to names and postions etc as honestly, unless you are the most charismatic and unique person ever, people won't remember who you are, but you can give an impression of going all out to network and find out about the company through the application form.

If you're struggling to find events that you can go to (i.e companies don't come to your uni often etc) then join Bright Network - it's free and they hold loads of useful insighty sort of events with pretty big/respected companies, and it's easy to attend - for example, I'm not particularly interested in Law, but went to a Clifford Chance (law equivalent of Goldman) event with them which would have been so useful in the applications process, and get invites to events pretty much weekly.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 13

Posted from TSR Mobile

:lol:
Reply 15
I'm at Cass but I have a scholarship so I have no debt whatsoever. I mean, I see people from Reading at events, but the people from Reading who are interested compared to the people from Reading in FO is very, very slim. Possible though, you'll just have to work way harder than most with grades, networking, ECs, building your competencies etc.<br />
<br />
Not sure there is an awful lot in it though OP between the two unis you mentioned. <br />
<br />
Outside the top six, breaking into FO IB is a downhill struggle, really tough. You really have to want it and push yourself through the system.<br />
<br />
<font size="1"><a href="http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/app" target="_blank">Posted from TSR Mobile</a></font>
<br />
<br />

I was wondering what is the reputation for CASS IFRM for fo ib roles? Also, what % of the class get into fo roles/trading because on the career section on the site it seems like a lots of people get into the BB firms but on here many people say Cass reputation isn't that good.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Sun_Bear
<br />
<br />

I was wondering what is the reputation for CASS IFRM for fo ib roles? Also, what % of the class get into fo roles/trading because on the career section on the site it seems like a lots of people get into the BB firms but on here many people say Cass reputation isn't that good.

This is all just based on purely anecdotal experience. It's true there are quite a number in MO roles at the top banks. For FO though, it varies from bank to bank. For example, quite a few at Nomura and Citi but I literally know just one at JPM. At a guess I'd say probably top 5% roughly land FO with a sizeable percentage going back to their home countries and others into MO roles. Quite a few go to Big 4 or a corporate.

Again, this is just anecdotal experience - I don't have statistics to back it up (not that they are easy to find anyway). A sweep on LinkedIn can give you an indication though. I mean, I'm applying for SWs and already had an interview and another guy has an offer so it won't hold you back but probably won't place you at a massive advantage either.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Very interesting replies here, I have a question of my own if anyone would be kind enough.

I have an unconditional for LSE econs, can I know the chances of breaking into MBB for MC or landing FO roles at The very top BB's such as GS, MS, JPM straight out of undergrad? (I don't intend to take a masters unless sponsored so be working immediately after completing my degree.

What would you guys recommend I do to maximize my chances? I intend to take up leadership positions in several ec's and actively attend networking events, but is there much else I am missing? I am also aiming for a first class at the end of my studies.

Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by dente
Very interesting replies here, I have a question of my own if anyone would be kind enough.

I have an unconditional for LSE econs, can I know the chances of breaking into MBB for MC or landing FO roles at The very top BB's such as GS, MS, JPM straight out of undergrad? (I don't intend to take a masters unless sponsored so be working immediately after completing my degree.

What would you guys recommend I do to maximize my chances? I intend to take up leadership positions in several ec's and actively attend networking events, but is there much else I am missing? I am also aiming for a first class at the end of my studies.

Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, you're good to go! LSE is perfect for top BB banks or MBB. Just do everything you said, internships are key to breaking into banking. Start focusing on First Year Spring Weeks as soon as you get there.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Original post by wkahn
Hi,

Just a quick one, I know Lancaster pretty well and their business school has been climbing up the rankings over the last few years. I'd take Lancaster over Reading without a doubt.

Quick Reply

Latest