Why did Michael Jackson only release albums every 5 years? Watch

Isambard Kingdom Brunel
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I notice Bad was released in 1982 and Thriller in 1987, what on earth did he do in between? I know he toured pretty extensively, but so does every artists, and they still release every year/every two years.
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Not many people know this but Michael was the voice of Stephen Hawking. Obviously they tweaked it a bit so it would sound less obvious. That is what he was doing in the so-called Silent Years.
arxtra
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
He was crafting them. His ideology was that every song in an album should be single-worthy and a hit.

Sometimes I wonder what's best, the MJ route where you compile and hold off your best material in a long wait for an album with as little filler as possible or the prolific Prince route where you churn out whatever project that comes to mind every year.
smd4std
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
so is he releasing a new album in 5 years?
AristoBrat!
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
He was off being awesome, of course.
:yep:

Man, if I had a house like Neverland, I'd be taking years off too!
:ahee:
F1's Finest
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel)
I notice Bad was released in 1982 and Thriller in 1987, what on earth did he do in between? I know he toured pretty extensively, but so does every artists, and they still release every year/every two years.
This is actually a good question, especially coming from you!
Kvothe the Arcane
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by the bear)
Not many people know this but Michael was the voice of Stephen Hawking. Obviously they tweaked it a bit so it would sound less obvious. That is what he was doing in the so-called Silent Years.
Really? I knew knew, thanks for telling the rest of us
How does a 5 year gap between two albums equate to a rate of an album every 5 years. You'll want at least 3 albums if you're proposing a trend...
(Original post by James A)
This is actually a good question, especially coming from you!
Tss, what a burn
bigwhalegambler
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Because it takes a lot out of you, when you work as hard as he did.

Tell me how often do you release your albums, and how much do they sell?
Plainview
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The real question is: why do modern artists churn out half-baked albums so often?
xoxAngel_Kxox
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
As you said, touring, and being in the writing process takes a long time if you want to release a full album.

Also, artists are people too, and many don't want to just work themselves into the ground. Current artists need to make the most of the exposure they can get, as "celebrity status" doesn't tend to last that long. MJ was a legend and would never have struggled to sell records after disappearing for a few years.
theOldBean
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
pauca sed matura
- gauss
Isambard Kingdom Brunel
Rep:
?
(Original post by theOldBean)
pauca sed matura
- gauss
I don't speak French.
Queen_Victoria
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
He did because he was talented. Those who release albums every year do so to keep the hype up. If Rita Ora for example took a 5 year gap, she'd be forgotten. Elvis did the same; took a 7 year gap at one point.
Ndella
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
He was probably making the album as best as it could be - and it definitely has. I think it would be better for an artist to create albums whole heartedly and worth the wait than an ok album released once every 3 months.
River85
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It's generally a four year gap between albums, and Thriller came first. A four year gap is not unusual.

As for the time between Thriller and Bad, I'm sure having his hair caught on fire and suffering some serious burns over his scalp and face took a few months out of him...

Plus Thriller was just a phenomenal success, there was a lot of awards and promotion as a result.
Et Tu, Brute?
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
you say why, I'd be he said why not?

Think about all the artists that release albums every 2-3 years. The bulk of the songs on there are rubbish. Take Foo Fighters as an example, in their 'There's Nothing Else to Lose' album, Grohl apparently even admitted that there was a couple of decent songs but the rest were just record fillers. I mean why in the under **** is the point in that? Why settle for sheer mediocrity for the sake of throwing out an album. Why not wait until you have a good record, with awesome songs.
River85
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Ndella)
He was probably making the album as best as it could be - and it definitely has. I think it would be better for an artist to create albums whole heartedly and worth the wait than an ok album released once every 3 months.
How many artists release an album ever three months. The average is generally three or four years, really, and that's generally what Michael Jackson did.

Starting with Off the Wall (not his earlier solo stuff): -

Off the Wall 1979
Thriller 1982
Bad 1987
Dangerous 1991
History 1995
Blood on the Dancefloor 1997
Invinceable 2001

If we discount Blood on the Dance Floor, which wasn't a complete album of new material, the greatest gap is between History and Invincible.

As mentioned, the gap between Thriller and Bad can be explained by him recouperating following receiving second and third degree burns while filming the Pepsi commercial in 1984, plus the heavy amount of promotion and success after Thriller.

I don't think this is bad for an artist who was one of the world's major superstars, and generally did a worldwide tour (two legs) after each album.
Fortitude
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Because he could, as has been mentioned before, imagine what would happen if some of today's popular singers released an album once every 5 years? Plus as always, quality over quantity.
Isambard Kingdom Brunel
Rep:
?
I also read he didn't do any interviews for 13 years until that Oprah Winfrey one. What a wacko.
Xscape
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I also read he didn't do any interviews for 13 years until that Oprah Winfrey one. What a wacko.
Not true... this is an 1987 interview.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dg6Xa8zadLQ If he didn't do an interview for 13 years how does that make him a 'wacko'? Some people want their privacy and not delve into their personal life.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (200)
19.18%
Labour (443)
42.47%
Liberal Democrats (202)
19.37%
Green Party (54)
5.18%
Brexit Party (28)
2.68%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (4)
0.38%
SNP (15)
1.44%
Plaid Cymru (10)
0.96%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (1)
0.1%
Sinn Fein (2)
0.19%
SDLP (1)
0.1%
Ulster Unionist (3)