What is assisted fertilisation? Watch

rosy123
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
I know its going to be to do with things like IVF, but does it include issues such as cloning as well? I have to write an essay on the the bio-ethics of assisted fertilisation, but having searched on the internet i've only found really complex articles that i don't understand! thanks for any help.
Revenged
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by rosy123)
I know its going to be to do with things like IVF, but does it include issues such as cloning as well? I have to write an essay on the the bio-ethics of assisted fertilisation, but having searched on the internet i've only found really complex articles that i don't understand! thanks for any help.
The concept of IVF is very simple...

You just fertilise some eggs with sperm in a lab...

You allow them to develop to a blastocyst (takes a few days as the cells divide)...

You inject them in the uterus (womb) and hopefully one of them will become embedded in the endometrium (womb lining) and will develop into a baby...

It generally isn't that successful, which is why women have to have multiple cycles at IVF...

Btw, I wouldn't mention cloning, I don't see how it's related to IVF...

As for ethics - should women have IVF cycles free on the NHS? That is an issue you should mention...
rosy123
Rep:
?
thanks, so apart from IVF are there any other methods of assisted fertilisation i could mention?
Revenged
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by rosy123)
thanks, so apart from IVF are there any other methods of assisted fertilisation i could mention?
Farmers do assisted fertilisation...

They like get sperm best male cow and eggs from the best female cow... make embryos... and then place the embryos in all of the female cows...

Actually, I suppose you could include this... and you could say that IVF may lead to the development of cloning... If I was personally doing this essay, I'd find out the laws on relating to fertilisation and new developments on fertilisation techaniques... remember what is ethical tends to just be what the law says is ethical...
rosy123
Rep:
?
thanks, yes i know it's not really relevant but i don't know much on the topic yet (which is probably pretty evident) and just want to find out about it before i begin to plan my essay.
nikk
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
There are quite a few techniques known as 'Assisted Reproductive Technologies' (ART). I had to write an essay on this in my first year and so have cut and paste a few relevant points for you.

Intra Uterine Insemination (IUI)
Sperm is injected using a catheter transvaginally directly into the uterine cavity. The procedure is normally carried out to coincide with ovulation and overcomes cervical problems that a woman may have preventing the normal passage of sperm through the cervix.

In Vitro Fertilisation (IVF)
As described by Sir Revenged.

Gamete Intrafallopian Transfer (GIFT)
Uses the same transvaginal ultrasound aspiration technique as IVF to collect a number of mature ova. Approximately four ova are combined with sperm from the father in a catheter and transferred to the fallopian tube via a procedure known as laparoscopy. GIFT is a suitable technique for women whose infertility is caused by cervical or immunological problems and mild endometrosis. As this technique ensures that both sperm and ova are in close proximity within the fallopian tube, it is also a reasonable method for moderate male infertility (where the sperm motility is low and would not naturally reach the fallopian tubes).

Intracytoplasmic sperm injection (ICSI)
For cases of complete male infertility. Involves injecting a single sperm cell directly through the egg membrane into the cytoplasm. The embryo is then implanted into the uterus using normal IVF methods. As the technique only involves a single sperm cell, it is a viable option for all infertile males as sperm can be extracted from the testes by needle under anaesthetic (epididymal sperm aspiration).

I hope some of that is of use to you
Revenged
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by nikk)
There are quite a few techniques known as 'Assisted Reproductive Technologies' (ART). I had to write an essay on this in my first year and so have cut and paste a few relevant points for you.

Intra Uterine Insemination (IUI)
Sperm is injected using a catheter transvaginally directly into the uterine cavity. The procedure is normally carried out to coincide with ovulation and overcomes cervical problems that a woman may have preventing the normal passage of sperm through the cervix.
I like how scientifically you describe a woman being injecting with sperm...

lol...

nikk
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Sir Revenged)
I like how scientifically you describe a woman being injecting with sperm...

lol...

Never fails on a night out :p:
Revenged
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by nikk)
Never fails on a night out :p:
If I ever need help thinking of chat up lines...

You'd be the first person I'd ask...

:rofl:
nikk
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Sir Revenged)
If I ever need help thinking of chat up lines...

You'd be the first person I'd ask...

:rofl:
Just spout out a load of scientific/medical terms and you're sorted lol :p:

Anyway, stop highjacking the thread - I hate highjackers! :p:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19

The new Gillette ad. Is it:

Man-hating bullsh*t (115)
45.82%
Pro-humanity (136)
54.18%