mmollyyyyyy
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
i know this is basic stuff but i can never remember when to use sine or cosine rule? help! does anyone know any easy ways of remembering it, anything?! would be greaaattt!!!
SorryInAdvance
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 years ago
if you two side either side of an angle and you want to find the third or have three sides and want to find an angle - use cosine
otherwise sine will work
k4l397
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
You might have already came accross it but SOH CAH TOA

So SOH = Sin(angle) = Opposite / Hypotenuse
CAH = Cosine(angle) = Adjacent / Hypotenuse
TOA = Tangent(angle) = Opposite / Adjacent

If you don't get why it's supposed to be easy to remember try saying it :P It sounds funny. When I say opposite I mean the side opposite to the angle You'll notice they are all in order too as to when they appear in the equation.

Hope this helps
TenOfThem
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by k4l397)
You might have already came accross it but SOH CAH TOA

So SOH = Sin(angle) = Opposite / Hypotenuse
CAH = Cosine(angle) = Adjacent / Hypotenuse
TOA = Tangent(angle) = Opposite / Adjacent

If you don't get why it's supposed to be easy to remember try saying it :P It sounds funny. When I say opposite I mean the side opposite to the angle You'll notice they are all in order too as to when they appear in the equation.

Hope this helps
You may not have done the Sine and Cosine Rule yet, so perhaps you did not understand why the OP was asking
k4l397
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by TenOfThem)
You may not have done the Sine and Cosine Rule yet, so perhaps you did not understand why the OP was asking
Ahh I did think it was a bit of an obvious question :P I'm guessing it's C2 or C3??
TenOfThem
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by mmollyyyyyy)
i know this is basic stuff but i can never remember when to use sine or cosine rule? help! does anyone know any easy ways of remembering it, anything?! would be greaaattt!!!
Make sure that you label the triangle correctly
Vertices are capitals and sides are lowercase

You will be given 3 pieces of information and asked to find a 4th
the information given will only fit one of the rules

The Sine Rule requires 2 angles whereas the Cosine Rule only needs 1
TenOfThem
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by k4l397)
Ahh I did think it was a bit of an obvious question :P I'm guessing it's C2 or C3??
GCSE
k4l397
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by TenOfThem)
GCSE
*facepalm* just realised what it was xD I had a moment ignore me :P
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (79)
13.57%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (11)
1.89%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (147)
25.26%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (47)
8.08%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (280)
48.11%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
3.09%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed