Biology or Computer Science? Watch

Unfintna
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi there, in terms of opportunities and employment, would a degree in Human Biology or Biomedical Science open more doors than a degree in Computer Science?
I know it sounds a bit shallow, but in terms of salary which of the three degrees would be a better choice?
Damask-
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Compsci grads earn more. [x, x]

The best career choice would be taking the one you're most motivated to spend a minimum of three years studying - that's inevitably what you'll do best in.
Quady
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Ditto
M1011
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
A degree in Computer Science is likely to provide stronger employment opportunities than Biology / Biomedical Sciences.

However you can do well with any of them really. What kind of career do you want?
Unfintna
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Thank you very much for your replies!

(Original post by Damask-)
Compsci grads earn more. [x, x]

The best career choice would be taking the one you're most motivated to spend a minimum of three years studying - that's inevitably what you'll do best in.
I'm pretty much equally interested in the both of them, maybe slightly more in Computer science.

(Original post by M1011)
A degree in Computer Science is likely to provide stronger employment opportunities than Biology / Biomedical Sciences.

However you can do well with any of them really. What kind of career do you want?
I have a strong interest in Biology, the problem is I'm just not sure what there is that I would do with it, I don't know if I have the right "character" to do anything medical, and I'm not sure I would really enjoy research.

On the other hand, when it comes to the Computer Science choice, I think I could see myself working as some sort of IT consultant, or on the Business Intelligence end of things, which sort of leads me to my second question:
to go into something like IT consultancy, or Business Intelligence, would it be better to do Computer Science and Mathematics (which is a combined honours, and a three year course in total), or a degree in Computer Science (which is a four year course).
Sorry if the questions seem silly, I really have no idea what employers and firms are looking for.

Regards.
M1011
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Unfintna)
I have a strong interest in Biology, the problem is I'm just not sure what there is that I would do with it, I don't know if I have the right "character" to do anything medical, and I'm not sure I would really enjoy research.

On the other hand, when it comes to the Computer Science choice, I think I could see myself working as some sort of IT consultant, or on the Business Intelligence end of things, which sort of leads me to my second question:
to go into something like IT consultancy, or Business Intelligence, would it be better to do Computer Science and Mathematics (which is a combined honours, and a three year course in total), or a degree in Computer Science (which is a four year course).
Sorry if the questions seem silly, I really have no idea what employers and firms are looking for.

Regards.
First off, why is the computer science degree a four year course? Does it include a year in industry? Or is it possibly including a masters? I would have expected both degrees to be the same length.

As for whether or not to do straight Comp Sci or combined honours with Maths, I think a big part of the answer is to do what you would prefer to study. Ultimately it's critical that you get the right degree classification, so if you're not sure about Maths then don't add it in!

I know for a fact that you would be fine with either of those degrees (providing you got the 2.1 and had the right UCAS tariff) to apply to any of the big tech consulting firms (IBM, Capgemini, Accenture, big 4 etc). Neither will hold you back. In reality, the more important differentiator is likely to be your work experience, so if the four year course incorporates a year in industry then I'd strongly consider that as an option. All the top players in the field (including all those names above) offer placement years to university students.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (131)
19.55%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (64)
9.55%
No I am happy with my course choice (379)
56.57%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (96)
14.33%

Watched Threads