Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello, this is my essay question:

“…the description of British government as an elective dictatorship is no longer appropriate.” (V. Bogdanor The New British Constitution (2009) Oxford, Hart).

Discuss, considering in particular Bogdanor’s argument that the separation of powers has been strengthened within the British Constitution in recent years.

I found it really difficult to research on (I barely found a few resources), and I think the problem is because I don't know exactly what the question wants. Is the main focus about the British government becoming less of an elective dictatorship because of the strengthening of the separation of powers? I don't know what the contents of the essay should be (i.e how I should organise the intro, body, conclusion). The maximum number of words is 2500... It's my first law essay ever, so it would be great to get some help from some people. Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by belle418)
    Hello, this is my essay question:

“…the description of British government as an elective dictatorship is no longer appropriate.” (V. Bogdanor The New British Constitution (2009) Oxford, Hart).

Discuss, considering in particular Bogdanor’s argument that the separation of powers has been strengthened within the British Constitution in recent years.

I found it really difficult to research on (I barely found a few resources), and I think the problem is because I don't know exactly what the question wants. Is the main focus about the British government becoming less of an elective dictatorship because of the strengthening of the separation of powers? I don't know what the contents of the essay should be (i.e how I should organise the intro, body, conclusion). The maximum number of words is 2500... It's my first law essay ever, so it would be great to get some help from some people. Thanks!
    Righteo kiddo, the question is asking you to consider the original preposition (that it was an elective dictatorship) first. Here you will look at the constitutional arrangement as it historically has been (i.e the government, the judiciary and the 'enforcement arm'/police) and in considering Bogdanor's argument (you'll have to read and maybe use quotes here). The important difference is about the 'changes in the British constitution in recent years', here you can talk about many things. Like [1] how the House of Lords (the judicial arm) was separated and moved to create transparency & a distinction, so that the argument of the judiciary being politically motivated is lessened (here you should look for criticisms by academics of the judiciary being "politically motivated". [2] How there has been massive devolution of power to local councils and even with Scotland & Wales having separate parliaments (you could include current affairs to make your essay more relevant at this point). In considering the 'separation of powers' these are the sorts of things you will look at. You can also (and this is quite a focused point) look at [3] the role of the Lord Chancellor (historically and post Constitutional reform Act 2005) and how that powerful position has changed.
    Good luck kiddo! Now back to my final year Jurisprudence essay

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Capn cas)
    Righteo kiddo, the question is asking you to consider the original preposition (that it was an elective dictatorship) first. Here you will look at the constitutional arrangement as it historically has been (i.e the government, the judiciary and the 'enforcement arm'/police) and in considering Bogdanor's argument (you'll have to read and maybe use quotes here). The important difference is about the 'changes in the British constitution in recent years', here you can talk about many things. Like [1] how the House of Lords (the judicial arm) was separated and moved to create transparency & a distinction, so that the argument of the judiciary being politically motivated is lessened (here you should look for criticisms by academics of the judiciary being "politically motivated". [2] How there has been massive devolution of power to local councils and even with Scotland & Wales having separate parliaments (you could include current affairs to make your essay more relevant at this point). In considering the 'separation of powers' these are the sorts of things you will look at. You can also (and this is quite a focused point) look at [3] the role of the Lord Chancellor (historically and post Constitutional reform Act 2005) and how that powerful position has changed.
    Good luck kiddo! Now back to my final year Jurisprudence essay
    Oh gosh sorry but I only just read this today... Thanks alot for your help! It really did help me with planning the flow of my essay Happy New Year!!

ReputationRep:
    hahaha are you from leeds uni? thanks, was a struggling a bit myself.

ReputationRep:
    Hey! Yeah I am haha I just finished my essay today, but I still need to polish it up a little bit more. Good luck with yours!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 11, 2014
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.