The Student Room Group

French - direct and object pronous??

I don't understand how to use them.
So i tried reading my grammar textbook, but that hasn't helped. :frown:

When do i use which?

Thanks in advance! :smile:
Reply 1
Hi,

Do you have any examples, sentences that you do not understand then we might be able to explain :smile:
Reply 2
I'm guessing you mean the difference between direct and indirect object pronouns?

It depends on the verb.....

If the noun which the pronoun is replacing would usually be preceded by "à" then you need an indirect object pronoun.
If there is no preposition before the noun, then it is generally a direct object.

Thus;

J'ai envoyé un cadeau à mon frère

This sentence has two objects. un cadeau is the direct object as it is not preceded by a preposition. mon frère is the indirect object as it is preceded by à

So...

Je l'ai envoyé à mon frère
Je lui ai envoyé un cadeau
Je le lui ai envoyé

Make sense?

You have to learn which verbs are always followed by à or de in French, as they don't always follow the English translations. Although this example works in English the same way; I send a present (direct) to my brother (indirect) , there are lots of French verbs which take indirect objects, but in English take direct objects. E.g. Dire quelque chose à quelqu'un, so Je lui ai dit = I told him
Original post by Tasha-x
I'm guessing you mean the difference between direct and indirect object pronouns?

It depends on the verb.....

If the noun which the pronoun is replacing would usually be preceded by "à" then you need an indirect object pronoun.
If there is no preposition before the noun, then it is generally a direct object.

Thus;

J'ai envoyé un cadeau à mon frère

This sentence has two objects. un cadeau is the direct object as it is not preceded by a preposition. mon frère is the indirect object as it is preceded by à

So...

Je l'ai envoyé à mon frère
Je lui ai envoyé un cadeau
Je le lui ai envoyé

Make sense?

You have to learn which verbs are always followed by à or de in French, as they don't always follow the English translations. Although this example works in English the same way; I send a present (direct) to my brother (indirect) , there are lots of French verbs which take indirect objects, but in English take direct objects. E.g. Dire quelque chose à quelqu'un, so Je lui ai dit = I told him

Thank you! :smile:

This is really helpful and i understand it now. :biggrin:
Original post by Mouchetic
Hi,

Do you have any examples, sentences that you do not understand then we might be able to explain :smile:

Can you give me really random sentences and i'll translate them into french? :biggrin:
Reply 5
Original post by Infinity_4652
Thank you! :smile:

This is really helpful and i understand it now. :biggrin:

Good! Just ask if you need any more explanations :smile:

Quick Reply