AQA: Do mistakes still get you marks?

Watch this thread
Anonymous_0749
Badges: 15
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Hey,
When I do mocks and questions which are dependant on previous answers, e.g.lets say (a) part one, my teacher marks everything else wrong if the first part was wrong, even though I did all other correct working out. I read somewhere in the mark scheme that if this was the case, only one mark would be lost (for AE I think) and you can still gain all other marks if they are correct. Is this true?

Today I done my own mock, and I made a silly mistake in one part. The other three parts were dependant on part a but I didn't know how to mark it.... (My working out was all fine just the answer from part a was different). How should I mark this?

Thanks
Flauta
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by ssargithan)
Hey,
When I do mocks and questions which are dependant on previous answers, e.g.lets say (a) part one, my teacher marks everything else wrong if the first part was wrong, even though I did all other correct working out. I read somewhere in the mark scheme that if this was the case, only one mark would be lost (for AE I think) and you can still gain all other marks if they are correct. Is this true?

Today I done my own mock, and I made a silly mistake in one part. The other three parts were dependant on part a but I didn't know how to mark it.... (My working out was all fine just the answer from part a was different). How should I mark this?

Thanks
Your teacher's probably just trying to mark really harshly or being lazy, in a real exam you would've gotten some marks for it.

Depending on the question yeah you should get some error carried forward marks if the rest of the working in subsequent questions is 100% correct. Generally this will either be full marks or full marks less one
tmorrall
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
There are many different types of marks you get, but arguably the best type is 'method' marks. If you apply the correct theory and show you have a logical attempt at a problem you get almost full credit usually only dropping one or two marks for 'accuracy' (you cant get these for numerical errors and the like)

Posted from TSR Mobile
techno836
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by ssargithan)
Hey,

Thanks
Normally you just drop part (a) marks and get ECF marks ( error carried forward), they can't punish you multiple times for the same thing :-)

E.g in OCR A physics you can lose a mark for significant figures , but it says in the mark scheme you can only lose this mark once throughout the paper
Atsushi
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
It's called carried error marks. You get the marks
Anonymous_0749
Badges: 15
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Cheers guys
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (132)
66.33%
No (45)
22.61%
I didn't use it to prepare (22)
11.06%

Watched Threads