Bloodletting procedure what does it involve.

Watch
thoyub
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Bloodletting procedure what exactly doe this involve? I want to know quite soon preferably. So will need information on what does this involve and how you would need to prepare for such a procedure if at all.

Has anyone here had a bloodletting procedure and if so would like to hear your experience.
thoyub
Rep:
?
what is involved in bloodletting procedure need information please
Kabloomybuzz
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Bloodletting in what context? I would guess what it involves depends on the context and the people involved.
You do realise (whether rightly or wrongly) that bloodletting is illegal if done by anyone other than yourself. Even with consent.
thoyub
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kabloomybuzz)
Bloodletting in what context? I would guess what it involves depends on the context and the people involved.
You do realise (whether rightly or wrongly) that bloodletting is illegal if done by anyone other than yourself. Even with consent.
maybe misunderstood, now more commonly known as phlebotomy but different terms still used
moonkatt
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by thoyub)
maybe misunderstood, now more commonly known as phlebotomy but different terms still used
You've got your terms mixed up here. Phlebotomy is merely the accessing of veins to take blood for analysis, where as blood letting is generally thought of as a procedure where people are bled as they are thought to have "too much" blood. It was commonplace in medieval times. I've seen it done in clinical practice as a procedure called venesection however it is pretty rare these days.

So what's your question about? Are you having some blood tests done or is it something else?
Kabloomybuzz
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by moonkatt)
You've got your terms mixed up here. Phlebotomy is merely the accessing of veins to take blood for analysis, where as blood letting is generally thought of as a procedure where people are bled as they are thought to have "too much" blood. It was commonplace in medieval times. I've seen it done in clinical practice as a procedure called venesection however it is pretty rare these days.

So what's your question about? Are you having some blood tests done or is it something else?
This, bloodletting is also a sexual/fetish practice for some.
thoyub
Rep:
?
(Original post by moonkatt)

i dont want to go into too much but the objective of the procedure is to treat a large amount of iron in my blood and to eventually restore to normal levels as apparently complications can occur if left untreated. m doctor refereed to it as bloodletting butwill ask them as soon as i can to clear things up and provide correct terms. Must be a misunderstanding

thanks
Kabloomybuzz
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
i dont want to go into too much but the objective of the procedure is to treat a large amount of iron in my blood and to eventually restore to normal levels as apparently complications can occur if left untreated. m doctor refereed to it as bloodletting butwill ask them as soon as i can to clear things up and provide correct terms. Must be a misunderstanding

thanks
Yeah... I'd definitely find out what the procedure actually is before agreeing to it.
moonkatt
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

thanks
Yeah that's venesection. I've had patients who've had liver transplants require it doing to lower their Hb to hopefully reduce the risk of hepatic artery thrombosis. I've found an information pdf from Guy's and St Thomas which explains the procedure pretty clearly.

http://www.guysandstthomas.nhs.uk/re...enesection.pdf

Hope this helps
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (9)
37.5%
No - I have already returned home (4)
16.67%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (6)
25%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (1)
4.17%
No - I live at home during term anyway (4)
16.67%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed