The Student Room Group

Doing MBBS in Bangladesh, looking to do research once I graduate. Need advice..

I am a second year MBBS student currently studying in Bangladesh. The course here is of 5 years so I still have 4 yrs plus 1 more for internship left. I want to go into a research field once I graduate. I'm interested in research which would help in the future such as cancer research, maybe even possibly stem cell research.

The thing is, I don't want to live in Bangladesh in the future. I have always lived abroad my whole life and came here from Saudi to complete my higher education. I'm not saying that I hate this country, I myself am a Bangladeshi but I have always wanted to live somewhere outside my own country.

Now here is where I hope you kind folks can help me out. What should I do once I graduate? I don't really have much info and can't seem to find any decent sources of information either. What I would like to know is, the sequence of events and such. Which countries would accept MBBS students from this region of Asia into (if possible) a research field? What kind of a life would I be expected to be leading if I do dedicate my life to research? I think the UK might accept students but once again, I don't know what degrees or programmes I should be looking for when I go to the websites of different universities. Should I be looking at Master's programmes or PhD's? I don't have much of a clue and would really appreciate any response!

Quick Reply