Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    ANY IDEAS?
    Since September, I've been researching on schizophrenia and thinking about its misconceptions. I was going to do my essay on how and why have conceptions of schizophrenia changed since the 20th century. But the problem is that I can't seem to find any good research on attitudes on schizophrenia in the 20th century. So I was wondering whether there would be any part of psychology that I could focus and research on. I need to be able to write 5000 words, so I was wondering whether anyone had any ideas. It sounds picky, but hopefully ideas won't be too complex as I'm only in year 11 and have never studied psychology. Also, would I be allowed to do something in psychology that comes up in the A-Level psychology curriculum?

ReputationRep:
    Studying schizophrenia (SZ) right now at A2 level, an idea is:
    -Psychological and biological explanations of SZ (evaluate and compare, including pros/cons for both)
    -Psychological and biological treatments of SZ (evaluate and compare, including pros/cons for both)
    -Diagnosis and issues with the diagnosis of such condition (DCM-IV and ICD-10)

All come up on my a-level exam board at A2 level, and the diagnosis, explanations and treatments are the 3 main areas you will study. (worth checking exam board you will be studying though!)

ReputationRep:
    I did my EPQ on criminology and physcology and neurology! Look into that, it's really similar and interesting

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by americandrama)
    I did my EPQ on criminology and physcology and neurology! Look into that, it's really similar and interesting

Posted from TSR Mobile

Awesome, criminology sounds very interesting. But I'm not really the science type of person and I think that I would find it tricky. What parts of criminology are you doing? I have no idea what to base my essay on

ReputationRep:
    I did like how brain defects cause criminal behavior and case studies
    How genes show criminal behavior - nature and nurture debate
    And about hormones and neurotransmitters and how is causes criminal behaviour
    And about general characteristics LOMBROSO

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I like your idea although 'attitudes' is very broad - and 'explanations' of why Schizophrenia occurs are probably easier to get material on.
    To take it beyond the A level specification, why not ask whether or not Scizophrenia actually exists as an identifiable disease? You could start with explanations from the A level course and compare them with the anti-psychiatry movement started by Thomas Szaz in the 1960s, rejecting the idea that schizophrenia is a disease. You could also look at recent stories in the news about controversy around the way schizophrenia has been described in the new 5th edition of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual (DSM V) used by psychiatrists to diagnose mental health disorders. These days, quite a few psychologists are questioning and rejecting the label schizophrenia.
    Btw I teach psychology A level and EPQ so I know this would satisfy requirements to go beyond the A level. It also shouldn't be too difficult to find material online.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 3, 2014

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 24 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.