jasonsaint
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Having trouble with a starting point for an essay that is due. I understand the basic principles (I think) of Equity & trusts. However, I am left confused with the question posed:

"Out of the principal interactions between commercial law and equity has been a desire on the part of commercial lawyers to keep equity out of commercial cases. The thinking is this: the law dealing with commercial contracts requires certainty so that commercial people can transact with confidence as to the legal treatment of their activities. Consequently, it is said, discretionary remedies and equitable doctrines are likely to disturb commercial certainties and therefore should be avoided. However, what this thinking fails to admit is the need for some ethical norms to govern commercial life in the same way that they govern non commercial life…

For commercial law to seek to avoid equity would be to allow commerce to escape the norms of the legal system which are nevertheless enforceable against all ordinary citizens. This would be a particularly pernicious development with would permit the already powerful corporate and commercial interests to set up their own legal system: in effect, it would be to produce one law for them and another law for the rest of us.”

Alastair Hudson, Equity & Trusts (7th Edition, Routledge-Cavendish, 2012) 1039, 1059

With reference to the above extract, critically evaluate the extent to which you consider that equity has been able to balance its aim for flexibility, fairness and justice with the desire for certainty, stability and consistency in the legal system.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
TSR Learn Together
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
Law__Student93
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hey there! I actually have the same coursework question!
Struggling a bit here myself, wondering what is actually being asked of us, I just seem to be rambling!
Did you ever get any justification on the question being asked?
I don't even know where to begin!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (3)
6.98%
I need help researching courses (3)
6.98%
I need help with filling out the application form (3)
6.98%
I need help with my personal statement (20)
46.51%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (10)
23.26%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (1)
2.33%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (3)
6.98%

Watched Threads