The Best Brain Training Games? Watch

norweger
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hello,

I've searched the web for this, but I didn't find any threads with comprehensive lists, so I thought I'd ask for your opinions? I am looking for all games that are useful for getting smarter, more knowledgeable, better at typing, reading, remembering etc. So it's not just brain training games in particular.

I've found some I think is quite useful, but there's bound to be plenty more out there.

Vocabulary: Scrabble/WordFeud and Flashcards Deluxe
Speed reading: I've doubled my reading speed by reading a book on the topic (not English), applying the advice here, and by using a speed reading app (the one I chose is called ReadingTrainer).
Speed typing: I've doubled my typing speed by playing games such as 10fastfingers and Typeracer.
Quiz: Quizzing is fun! But I haven't found a quiz website that has topics such as this: http://www.britannica.com/quiz/browse and also allows the users to go head-to-head with a timer. Anyone else who've found such a site?
Memory: This isn't really a game, but worth mentioning still. By using techniques from a book about memory, I can easily remember Pi with several hundred digits for years. I am absolutely sure other books will have pretty much the same information, but the book I read is called Memo. The memory techniques also works wonders for remembering history, geography etc.

And I really find flashcards very useful. I use them to learn new words, history, geography etc. But there is one thing I am missing: I'd like to be able to go into a quiz battle with a fellow student using flashcards (multiple choice) we create together. Does anyone know of a website offering that?

Please come with other suggestions for useful games!

Goldfly
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Try luminosity. I don't know if it helps but the app is pretty cool!
norweger
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
For learning history I think Civilization and Colonization are great fun. After playing some five rounds, one learns a lot about the founding fathers of the US, technological advances throughtout history, names of important ancient cities etc. etc.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

University open days

• Regent's University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Sep '19
  • Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate