Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey! I am embarking upon a new course next year for AS/A Level as I have now finished my GCSE's: English Lit AQA B. I am expecting an A*; thus, will I be able to do well next year and soforth. Will I able to attain an A if i work really hard. The only problem is that I don't read books in my own time - is this necessary? Will it give me a disadvantage? I enjoy reading the books that I am told to do and enjoy finding meanings through the authors' / poets' purpose. I have been speculating for ages now - what shall I do? Please help!
    Moreover, can somebody please tell me what the course entails; I have read the specification but I need someone with experience...

Thanks xxx

ReputationRep:
    I never read fiction books for leisure. I got a B at GCSE Eng Lit and a B in AS level AQA spec B. Thus it should be easy for you to get an A.
    Heres the AS course
    Poetry and play exam 35%
    Novel exam 35%
    Shakespeare coursework 30%
    A2
    Poetry and play exam 30%
    compare 2 texts coursework 30%
    Unseen material exam 40%

It's a well designed easy course.

ReputationRep:
    Thankyou so much for your help - i think i will take Lit

Good luck in all your exams...

ReputationRep:
    i've just finished this course, and i thought it was really good!! although the teachers choose the actual texts you study, there is plenty within them to enjoy and take your own 'slant' on the. i studied (although the spec may have changed now) Pride and Prejudice, poetry of John Donne, Streetcar Named Desire, King Lear, Rime of the Ancient Mariner, Edward II and for my A2 coursework (which you can choose yourself) the notion of genre in Robinson Crusoe and Gulliver's Travels.
    Do Eng Lit!! it's fab!!! and i'm now going to study Lit at uni.

Ellie
    xxx

but it is advisable to read some book in your free time, concentrating on the 'classics' such as eliot, hardy, dickens etc which are always useful to refer to in essays and sound intelligent!

ReputationRep:
    Although it's good, and will make your writing better, there's no need to read other books at English A-level. I didn't really; not because I didn't want to, but because I was taking so many damn subjects that I just didn't have time!

I really liked English A-level. Rime of the Ancient Mariner in particular was fantastic. And if you got an A* at GCSE, then there's no reason why you shouldn't do well at A-level too.

ReputationRep:
    We did
    AS Austen Pride Prejudice
    Blake- songs of innocence and experience
    Miller Death of Salesman
    Shakespeare Othello coursework

A2 Shakespeare Measure for Measure
    Chaucer Prologue of Canterbury Tales
    Coursework - Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? and Great Gatsby, though teacher chose this for the class

ReputationRep:
    What was your question for your King Lear Coursework? I would really like to know please. What do you need to do to get full marks??

ReputationRep:
    hi there What was your question for your King Lear Coursework? I would really like to know please. What do you need to do to get full marks??
    I did - "Discuss the statement that the Fool in King Lear is "not altogether Fool" (a quote by Kent) and explore to what extent the representation of the fool in King Lear is mirrored in the portrayal of other Fools within Shakespeares work". That got me 86/90, so almost full marks.

The other Shakespeare plays i chose to study for my coursework in addition to King Lear were Twelfth Night, As You Like It and Much Ado About Nothing. The interviewers at Oxford asked me loads about my coursework, so it was good that i loved writing the coursework!!

Hope that helps,
    elliejayne

:tsr2:

ReputationRep:
    I've just finished the AS this year and like you, I achieved an A* at GCSE in lit. I absolutely loved the course and I was lucky to have an excellent teacher. We studied Wise Children as our novel, The Miller's Tale as our poetry, Comedians as our play, and A Midsummer Night's Dream for our coursework. I don't want to scare you off as the course is really enjoyable, but I didn't find it as easy as I thought I would, and it does require some hard work if you want achieve a high grade. I'm really hoping I do well as it's my favourite subject and I want to study it at university. So take it if you like it!

ReputationRep:
    i got A* GCSE Eng Lit and now do AQA Eng Lit B , jsut finished AS, you can get away in ure AS without reading a single book outside the syllabus lol i do read so i cant speak from personal experience but mates who dont read did fine, Unit 4 may eb abit tricky coz you can pick ure own two books for the coursework or do the ones teacher picks, i'm not if every school does this but we do and we take both courseworks done to like a proper draft then pick one fo them. so if ure school operate that way, you may over the summer between As and A2 want to read a couple of books lol (proper books mind lol, that said i'm doin Clockwork Orange with A Color Purple, not ure 1800's Lit classics but still amzing books to ananlyse)

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.