Does anyone take Notheristerone tablets? Watch

Finishing Touches
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
I'm taking them because the Pill didn't work for my periods and I was wondering whether anyone else took them? Do you ever take them for longer than the three weeks advised?

Also, what exactly are their function? Only the Doctor didn't actually explain.
Anonymous #1
Report 12 years ago
I took them to delay my period for up to a week or so when I was doing competitive sailing - being out on the water for 6 hours-plus in a tiny boat is practically impossible with a period. They worked fine, although i tended to get more period pains and a slightly heavier period once I stopped taking them.
dremmel
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
yea i can say u do get worse cramps when u take them but i generally find its worth it

you were asking about their function,
they aren't the pill so remember to be careful! they basically just stop your body from makin some hormone which makes you have your period.
I don't know about taking them for more than 3 weeks, I've doubled up on them before like taken 6 tablets instead of 3 in a day because I came on early (dr said it was fine b4 anyone starts!)
personally I'd ring your dr and just ask if you can take it for X amount of weeks...
ciara
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
i've taken it several times to delay my period, but the longest i've ever taken it for has been a week. friends have said their period, when it eventually comes has been heavier/more painful, but i haven't found this to be the case - i suppose it varies from person to person.

as for how it works, well from my (limited) knowledge of the menstrual cycle i'd guess that it maintains high levels of the hormone which would naturally drop to cause a period. so when you stop taking it, after a few days the hormone level drops and the period comes.

if it recommends only taking them for 3 weeks you should stick to that unless advised otherwise by your doctor. you certainly shouldn't constantly take them to avoid periods altogether, just the same as with the pill - your body does need to have periods and loading your body with hormones can't be good.
Finishing Touches
Rep:
?
Bumping for more opinions on this, please.
dremmel
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Finishing Touches)
Bumping for more opinions on this, please.
seriously don't take any advice off people here phone your dr... it'll just be a quick 5 minute phone call just to confirm how long you can take them for!

if you feel scared just have a look at all the side effects you can get from them, I'm pretty sure these will all be increased with continuous taking of them! and you can get blood clots by taking these tablets for long amounts of time!
hippieglitter
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I took them temporarily to stop the bleeding before i went on the pill for pcos.
Finishing Touches
Rep:
?
Just to let you know that doctor said it was fine to take it for longer.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (213)
27.92%
No (550)
72.08%

Watched Threads