The Student Room Group

Drop out reapplying

Hellooo,

I went to university in September 2012, and by January 2013 I knew I hated my course and my flatmates and I left. I was on a education studies course, I thought I wanted to teach but I've since realised that it wasn't for me and now I know that I want to work with children.

So when I was at college I only worked for the grades I needed to get onto the course, so I only have 260 UCAS points, I also did a ASDAN CoPE, but that is about as much use as a chocolate fireguard.

Yesterday I sent off my UCAS application, to only one university, for only one course. I applied to University of Salford (because it's about an hour away on the train I can commute in) to do Nursing (Child). I've been looking into the course for months and months and kept convincing myself that there's no point in applying because I'd never get in. They are looking for 260-300 UCAS points, so I'm at the very bottom of what they'd want.

I'm so nervous, I know I've tried my best, I know that my personal statement shows that I haven't just spent my time away from uni sat around doing nothing, it shows I've been travelling and spent most of my time looking after my mum as she's been ill.

I suppose it's weird because I know there's nothing I can do, I can't work super hard to get the grades I need, past me already decided that, when they get back to me, it wont be a "maybe" it will be a straight yes or no and it's taken me so long to get up the courage to apply.

Anyway, I only applied yesterday so I don't think I'll hear anything back until January now.
Reply 1
Original post by Beckzfizz
Hellooo,

I went to university in September 2012, and by January 2013 I knew I hated my course and my flatmates and I left. I was on a education studies course, I thought I wanted to teach but I've since realised that it wasn't for me and now I know that I want to work with children.

So when I was at college I only worked for the grades I needed to get onto the course, so I only have 260 UCAS points, I also did a ASDAN CoPE, but that is about as much use as a chocolate fireguard.

Yesterday I sent off my UCAS application, to only one university, for only one course. I applied to University of Salford (because it's about an hour away on the train I can commute in) to do Nursing (Child). I've been looking into the course for months and months and kept convincing myself that there's no point in applying because I'd never get in. They are looking for 260-300 UCAS points, so I'm at the very bottom of what they'd want.

I'm so nervous, I know I've tried my best, I know that my personal statement shows that I haven't just spent my time away from uni sat around doing nothing, it shows I've been travelling and spent most of my time looking after my mum as she's been ill.

I suppose it's weird because I know there's nothing I can do, I can't work super hard to get the grades I need, past me already decided that, when they get back to me, it wont be a "maybe" it will be a straight yes or no and it's taken me so long to get up the courage to apply.

Anyway, I only applied yesterday so I don't think I'll hear anything back until January now.

So what exactly is your question?
You shouldn't have mentioned your ill mother in your PS though because it's too private and not relevant for the course you're applying for, so it sounds a bit odd and not very professional. It should be mentioned in your reference!

Good Luck!!
Reply 2
Original post by Hanover
So what exactly is your question?
You shouldn't have mentioned your ill mother in your PS though because it's too private and not relevant for the course you're applying for, so it sounds a bit odd and not very professional. It should be mentioned in your reference!

Good Luck!!

I just said that I'd been looking after family whilst being out of work. (didn't want to say too much)

My reference was from two years ago, my same reference from when I applied to a teaching course, as I had nobody else to ask but my old college tutor.

I think my question was basically "am I doing the right thing?"
Reply 3
I just said that I'd been looking after family whilst being out of work. (didn't want to say too much)

My reference was from two years ago, my same reference from when I applied to a teaching course, as I had nobody else to ask but my old college tutor.

I think my question was basically "am I doing the right thing?"

Oh, it should be alright then! I've heard of applicants writing half of the PS about their private life.
So you're afraid you're gonna make the same mistake again? I don't really know to be honest, how do you feel in comparison with last year, when you were about to start the course you've now broken up?
Reply 4
Original post by Hanover
Oh, it should be alright then! I've heard of applicants writing half of the PS about their private life.
So you're afraid you're gonna make the same mistake again? I don't really know to be honest, how do you feel in comparison with last year, when you were about to start the course you've now broken up?

I think I was in denial last time, telling myself it was the right thing to do because everyone else was doing it. If I'm honest I've spent a lot of this year not wanting to go back to university to end up in a job I could do without a degree.
Reply 5
I think I was in denial last time, telling myself it was the right thing to do because everyone else was doing it. If I'm honest I've spent a lot of this year not wanting to go back to university to end up in a job I could do without a degree.

So what is the exact reason that urges you pursuing your studies? If you know what you want to reach, you should know wether you're making the right decison or not!
Reply 6
Original post by Hanover
So what is the exact reason that urges you pursuing your studies? If you know what you want to reach, you should know wether you're making the right decison or not!

I know I want to help people, it's not a matter of whether the course is right for me, I know it is, it's a matter or whether going through it all again is right for me.
Reply 7
I know I want to help people, it's not a matter of whether the course is right for me, I know it is, it's a matter or whether going through it all again is right for me.

University is tough and requires lots of hard work, much time, endurance & ambition etc.. If you think that school was not for you, university is definitely a wrong place to go to.
In addition, don't just think of your job opportunities after graduation. A degree is also part of your life that you can be proud of! So go for it!
Reply 8
Original post by Hanover
University is tough and requires lots of hard work, much time, endurance & ambition etc.. If you think that school was not for you, university is definitely a wrong place to go to.
In addition, don't just think of your job opportunities after graduation. A degree is also part of your life that you can be proud of! So go for it!

I don't feel like you've really read what I was saying.
Reply 9
I don't feel like you've really read what I was saying.

Nope.
I think you don't even know what you're asking here. How about 1 clear question? I mean your first post doesn't even include one single question.
You said:'....whether going through it all again is right for me...'
And that's what I understood.
it's actually quite common for people to go from teaching too children's nursing. Don't worry too much about it but I would advise if you don't get in this year then defo go through clearing! and Apply for access courses!

- I study children's nursing and got in through clearing at the university of nottingham :smile:
-and the access course is a year long and means you can make sure you defo have the requirements :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by graceey_bear
it's actually quite common for people to go from teaching too children's nursing. Don't worry too much about it but I would advise if you don't get in this year then defo go through clearing! and Apply for access courses!

- I study children's nursing and got in through clearing at the university of nottingham :smile:
-and the access course is a year long and means you can make sure you defo have the requirements :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I can't do an access course, I've already had one year of student finance and will need the other three for the nursing course, meaning I'd have to pay £3800 up front. I work part-time...I don't earn that in a year.
I can't do an access course, I've already had one year of student finance and will need the other three for the nursing course, meaning I'd have to pay £3800 up front. I work part-time...I don't earn that in a year.

there's funding available to cover most the cost! One of the girls did it I'm at uni with and she paid £300.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by graceey_bear
there's funding available to cover most the cost! One of the girls did it I'm at uni with and she paid £300.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Whaaattt!? Well if I don't get in this year then I'll definitely look into that some more.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending