The Student Room Group
Undergraduate Centre, Oxford Brookes University
Oxford Brookes University
Oxford

Which accommodation is close to shops?

Hey there ! I will be studying at Brookes next year and would like to know which accommodation is easy to get to the shops where i can buy food and stuff...=)))

Thx in advance !!!! :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Closest accommodation would be Wavy Gate, then Clive Booth. Possibly Harcourt Hill, though it's a little isolated on the other side of Oxford. Just don't end up at Wheatley!! :smile:
Undergraduate Centre, Oxford Brookes University
Oxford Brookes University
Oxford
Reply 2
Original post by RDale
Closest accommodation would be Wavy Gate, then Clive Booth. Possibly Harcourt Hill, though it's a little isolated on the other side of Oxford. Just don't end up at Wheatley!! :smile:

Why not end up at Wheatley?
Reply 3
Wheatley is about 5 miles east of Oxford and takes a while on the bus to get to. There's a small shop on-campus there for basic supplies and an ASDA 1/2mile away, but for anything else like nights out, banks, clothes then you have to get 30minute bus into Oxford. While the buses are fairly regular, they don't run much at all in the night.
And wheatley's just a bit of a miserable place tbh, old buildings etc.
Reply 4
Original post by RDale
Wheatley is about 5 miles east of Oxford and takes a while on the bus to get to. There's a small shop on-campus there for basic supplies and an ASDA 1/2mile away, but for anything else like nights out, banks, clothes then you have to get 30minute bus into Oxford. While the buses are fairly regular, they don't run much at all in the night.
And wheatley's just a bit of a miserable place tbh, old buildings etc.

So my course, computer science, is taught at Wheatley. Would you suggest I get accommodation somewhere else then and travel to the campus when I needed?
Reply 5
Original post by Adam7918
So my course, computer science, is taught at Wheatley. Would you suggest I get accommodation somewhere else then and travel to the campus when I needed?

My course, accounting and finance, is also in wheatley but having read around its apparently isolated and not very nice!

I'd prefer to be closer to the city centre and i dont want catered so i dont think i'll be choosing wheatley!
Reply 6
Original post by Hanmoo
My course, accounting and finance, is also in wheatley but having read around its apparently isolated and not very nice!

I'd prefer to be closer to the city centre and i dont want catered so i dont think i'll be choosing wheatley!

Yea I've looked into it abit more and I think I'll be choosing an accommodation closer to everything else.
Reply 7
I've got friends doing Computer Science and Accounting/Finance, I'm doing Engineering so we all get a BROOKESbus into campus most mornings (or occasionally drive :P). The uni will provide you with a free unlimited bus pass. If there's nothing else then sure, take Wheatley. But for nights out, sports, pubs, food, misc. shopping then definitely get somewhere in Oxford and get up a bit earlier to get the bus.
Reply 8
Yup, thanks for your help RDale :smile:

You possibly saved me from living in the isolated Wheatley!
Reply 9
Anytime. Feel free t'ask if you have any other questions about Brookes/Oxford
Reply 10
Where's your accommodation and how long does the bus take to get to wheatley? :smile:
Reply 11
My accommodation is on Collins st. on Cowley rd. Takes me 10 mins to walk to the bus stop then 25 mins on the bus. I leave about 8am for 9am lectures
Reply 12
Ok cool. And is the bus full as I can imagine it being very full?
Reply 13
Original post by RDale

thx u for ur info !! :biggrin:
how about Cheney Student Village ???? is it a good place ? im interested in this one.
I know that its close to Headington Campus, where i will be studying. But im not sure if its easy to get into the town, do some shopping, nightlife and stuff
Thx u !!!!!!
=)))
Reply 14
There's regular buses in the morning if one is full, but I've yet to come across a full bus. Depends on where you get the bus from. Should be fine anywhere around Headington though. Cheney's pretty good. Right next to the sports facilities and the closest accommodation to the main campus (Gipsy lane), 24h library etc. Cheney's pretty close to the centre as well, there's a bus stop very close by. Not too unreasonable to walk into the centre though. Would it help anyone if I made a map of Oxford showing the campuses and accommodation?
Reply 15
No need! I stumbled upon this:
https://www.brookes.ac.uk/studying-at-brookes/accommodation/halls-in-detail/hall-locations-map/

A very informative map of campuses, accommodations, city centre and more :smile:
Reply 16
Wow, wish I'd found that map when I was looking for halls! Though looks like Wheatley's close proximity to Oxford has been exaggerated a lil' bit
Reply 17
Original post by Adam7918
No need! I stumbled upon this:
https://www.brookes.ac.uk/studying-at-brookes/accommodation/halls-in-detail/hall-locations-map/

A very informative map of campuses, accommodations, city centre and more :smile:

Original post by RDale
There's regular buses in the morning if one is full, but I've yet to come across a full bus. Depends on where you get the bus from. Should be fine anywhere around Headington though. Cheney's pretty good. Right next to the sports facilities and the closest accommodation to the main campus (Gipsy lane), 24h library etc. Cheney's pretty close to the centre as well, there's a bus stop very close by. Not too unreasonable to walk into the centre though. Would it help anyone if I made a map of Oxford showing the campuses and accommodation?

very helpful thank you :colondollar:

ob is definitely going to be firm or insurance
Reply 18
I will be doing Business management so i will be on the Wheatley campus, I would like to be near town but near the uni itself. I definitely want a en-suite, what would you recommend? I'm sorry if i've posted this in the wrong place or way i'm new to this..
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by JayBhojani
I will be doing Business management so i will be on the Wheatley campus, I would like to be near town but near the uni itself. I definitely want a en-suite, what would you recommend? I'm sorry if i've posted this in the wrong place or way i'm new to this..

I think Cheney or Clive booth will best best then though not sure if they're available ensuite. Crescent/Paul Kent and Slade on the east side are the most equidistant between the centre and Wheatley, but if you ask me better to be near the centre and an extra few minutes on the bus to campus rather than miles from anywhere

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending