The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Zakatu
Ummm, i think if shops allready open on a sunday what is the harm of opening for more hours?

It annoys me that so many places shut, same for alcohol laws. I'd like to be able to buy it at 4am if i so desire. I'm sure some shops will be willing to stay open to sell it.

I do like sundays being a family day, but not everyone works in a shop. And if they do work on a sunday surely this means they take their "weekend" on another day of the week?

I think that if you want to work in a covenience store, you should realise this might mean that you work unsociable hours. Nobody forces you to work that job.

You are so blinded.
Some people have no other choice than to work in a shop, but they do it rather than sitting on their fat arses scrounging off the government to keep themselves alive. It's not always easy to just "have your weekend on another day" because the people you would spend your weekend with are at work or school.
Why don't you take your head out of your arse for just a minute, look around and realise that the whole world does not revolve around you. If you want alcohol at 4am then buy it THE DAY BEFORE or GO TO A PUB OR BAR, they've been given new lisences so people can get drunk out of their faces whenever they want.
I don't understand. Does this law only apply to England, because I live in Scotland and I'm sure that the Tescos near me is open 24/7?
The One and Only Lady Jennington
You are so blinded.
Some people have no other choice than to work in a shop, but they do it rather than sitting on their fat arses scrounging off the government to keep themselves alive. It's not always easy to just "have your weekend on another day" because the people you would spend your weekend with are at work or school.
Why don't you take your head out of your arse for just a minute, look around and realise that the whole world does not revolve around you. If you want alcohol at 4am then buy it THE DAY BEFORE or GO TO A PUB OR BAR, they've been given new lisences so people can get drunk out of their faces whenever they want.

I don't think this is a question of being selfish. On what grounds can you say that the trading of shops should be restricted on Sundays?

With the extended licensing laws I could see what the fuss was all about, because of fears of anti-social behaviour, but allowing shops to stay open longer is not going to have any catastrophic social effects.

The point is - nobody really shops in the middle of the night anyway - but the stores that are open 24 hours provide their facilities to those limited few who choose to do so, or have to out of necessity because of unforeseen circumstances.

I think that your 'selfish' and 'head in arse' comments are unjustified. Of course the world doesn't revolve around the people who want to shop late on Sunday, and neither should it revolve around anybody else, and this is the whole reason why Sunday Trading Laws should be abolished. It's about choice.
Reply 23
Well, i'm a libertarian and i think shop owners should be able to open a shop at whatever hour and day they choose to do so. I don't think the government should have the right to tell you when you can and can't do so,

Thats it really, i also like the covenience of being on the way back from a night out and fancying x, y or z and being able to go and get it.

I don't really see how thats sellfish, i'm blinded? the shop owner isn't doing me a favour. Afterall i'm the customer coming to buy his products.

At the end of the day if people want things at 4am i think shopowners should have the liberty to be able to open up and sell.

Both parties win.

I think some people are viewing this from the perspective of "oh the poor shop assistant having to stay up on sundays". Well, i agree that it would be a bad time to work. I think perhaps a law should be introduced that entitles employees to have sunday off IF THEY CHOOSE. So the employer can't force them to work sunday or hold it against them if they don't.
i think that the government is right to leave the law. They know how divided the country is and so have left it alone. previous governments tried to interfere with it and as a result had to come up with the compromise. It's not ideal but it does restrict the chance of exploitation of vulnerable workers (which in my view is a factor that exists) and does still allow for shopping for stuff if you really have to on sunday and it allows for people to go to church n stuff (if thats what your into).

To me it seems a fair compromise over an issue over which people seem to have such radical views
Reply 25
I disagree with the law but it must still be there for a reason I haven't considered.
Im working at a gastropub tomorrow. IS this wrong? What if I am really grateful for the extra work afforded me by the restaurant opening on a Sunday?
What if people want to eat out on a Sunday (Which they do)?
What if you were under no compulsion to come to the gastropub if you didnt want to?

Idiots.
Reply 27
Phonicsdude
C of E state as in biblical law must be respected by everyone?
Biblical law = English law?

Wrong on both counts.

Having shops open longer wouldnt force people who wanted to treat Sunday as a day of rest to be spent with the family to go out shopping. They could stay at home if they wanted.

aren't we a CofE state though, i'm not implying we strictly follow Biblical law but that there is a tradition brought about by the Church to follow Biblical teaching and respect Sundays.
This is why we have the law today. True say.
But this is no reason not to change the law if there are compelling reasons to do so. Greater flexibility for consumers (there is no need to disrupt market forces in this case) and greater potential revenue for those who do shift work (usually the poorer members of society who struggle to bring in enough money).
You are so blinded.

There would be more money for them to earn if there were more hours available. Plus they could work shorter shifts throughout the week and have the same amount of hours per week if Sundays were 12 hours instead of 6.

Shop workers don't have to work every day, there are shifts. You can say "my religion bars me from working on Sunday" if you really can't, they will accomodate you.
I don't think shops should be open on a Sunday and I think it's unfair people should have to work Sundays. I used to hate it, really has gone crazy to think people need to go out shopping on a Sunday.
I don't think shops should open at all on sundays, surely we should be given one day in which we can find other things to do? I see people going up to the shopping centre at 5pm on Sundays and trying to break in the back entrance of sainsburys, even though they close at 4pm. Surely 6days a week is enough time to do your shopping and then if you've forgotten anything it's not going to be life or death if you have to wait 24hrs.

Who are you to say when I can and cannot go shopping?

Why is Sunday any different? If shops WANT to open on Sundays, then who are you to say they can't?
Reply 32
numero sept
Who are you to say when I can and cannot go shopping?

Why is Sunday any different? If shops WANT to open on Sundays, then who are you to say they can't?

Who are you to say that the shops should open when YOU want to? How many people really go shopping at stupid o clock? Why are people not able to survive a few hours before going shopping? I really do think it's selfish, it all adds to the "I want it now" society that we live in.
The place in which I work is suffering with business at the moment but because of some bylaw or something stupid it has to stay open late night on thursdays and fridays. Do you know how much money is wasted on rent, electricity, wages, water etc? Just because some bozo in an office says we have to stay open.
Who are you to say that the shops should open when YOU want to? How many people really go shopping at stupid o clock? Why are people not able to survive a few hours before going shopping? I really do think it's selfish, it all adds to the "I want it now" society that we live in.

It's not me, but the shopowners. Since they own their businesses, they have a right to open when they want. Shopowners are out to make a profit. If they're catering for people's needs and desires and want to make a profit, then so be it. Screw what the government says.
Reply 34
numero sept
It's not me, but the shopowners. Since they own their businesses, they have a right to open when they want. Shopowners are out to make a profit. If they're catering for people's needs and desires and want to make a profit, then so be it. Screw what the government says.

Yep. Shops will only open if they can make a profit. So that means a lot of people must go shopping on a sunday
Reply 35
numero sept

Only if they are independently owned and not dictated by the centre in which they are situated.
One thing that annoys me is when the shops do shut for like 1 day i.e Xmas Day and there's people moaning about it, i mean geez don't they bother with celebrating Christmas no more in this county, fair enough there's religious groups that don't believe in Christmas, but there's some who do celebrate but yet they'd still rather shop on xmas day.

I work in Woolworths and if we opened longer on a Sunday i'd simply refuse to work longer. Afterall we should all least have 1 day off during the week to chill out
Come on now, Lady Jennington. You've been borderline flaming people for expressing a valid and reasonable opinion.

I don't see any problem with allowing shops to open later on Sundays. The 'Sabbath' argument against it is not a good one because we are a de facto secular state, and Sunday has already been considerably degraded as a day of rest. There's not a lot of point in clinging on to something so clearly moribund.

Claiming that wanting shops to have the choice to open late on Sundays if they so desire, is selfish, seems ridiculous. Later opening is not going to infringe your rights or enjoyment of the day. If you don't want to shop on a Sunday then don't shop on a Sunday. Removing the trading law is not tantamount to saying 'you must shop on a Sunday,' it is just removing a restriction. Ok, so some workers might not want to work on a Sunday, but again there's nothing forcing them to, and there are plenty of people who will want to make a bit of extra money by working at that time.

I still don't see any well-argued reasons for not removing the Sunday Trading Law.
Reply 38
Will
Come on now, Lady Jennington. You've been borderline flaming people for expressing a valid and reasonable opinion.

I don't see any problem with allowing shops to open later on Sundays. The 'Sabbath' argument against it is not a good one because we are a de facto secular state, and Sunday has already been considerably degraded as a day of rest. There's not a lot of point in clinging on to something so clearly moribund.

Claiming that wanting shops to have the choice to open late on Sundays if they so desire, is selfish, seems ridiculous. Later opening is not going to infringe your rights or enjoyment of the day. If you don't want to shop on a Sunday then don't shop on a Sunday. Removing the trading law is not tantamount to saying 'you must shop on a Sunday,' it is just removing a restriction. Ok, so some workers might not want to work on a Sunday, but again there's nothing forcing them to, and there are plenty of people who will want to make a bit of extra money by working at that time.

I still don't see any well-argued reasons for not removing the Sunday Trading Law.

1)I have never claimed the sabbath argument, I am not religious myself so that would be null, my point was why do people feel this urge to need to shop every hour of the day?

2) It wouldn't give choice to shops, it would give choice to the greedy head office manager who sits in an office all day and has probably never spent a considerable amount of time working in a shop and who forces opening and closing times. Those sorts of people will want the shop to be open all the time despite the fact that there could be a loss of money, just on the offchance that somebody spends alot of money.

3) I don't shop on a sunday, I work on a sunday and even when I don't work on a sunday, I don't shop on a sunday because I have self control and can withstand more than 24hrs without shopping.
1)I have never claimed the sabbath argument, I am not religious myself so that would be null, my point was why do people feel this urge to need to shop every hour of the day?

They don't. It's not like there's a type of person out there who sits at home on Sundays, gripping the arms of a chair, drooling at the mouth and watching teleshopping, all because the shops are closed. I'm just saying that it would be convenient for all sorts of people if supermarkets/convenience stores could open longer hours. If you found that you didn't have milk to make a dessert for Sunday dinner because it had gone off, for example, it would be nice to be able to go out and buy some more.

2) It wouldn't give choice to shops, it would give choice to the greedy head office manager who sits in an office all day and has probably never spent a considerable amount of time working in a shop and who forces opening and closing times. Those sorts of people will want the shop to be open all the time despite the fact that there could be a loss of money, just on the offchance that somebody spends alot of money.

These are big corporations though, and nobody is forcing the employees to work Sunday evenings, even if some of them don't want to.

3) I don't shop on a sunday, I work on a sunday and even when I don't work on a sunday, I don't shop on a sunday because I have self control and can withstand more than 24hrs without shopping.

Well, you better give yourself a pat on the back and a cookie, because only 99.99% of the rest of the population can go 24 hours without shopping. You make it sound like there are millions of people who need their 'hit' of shopping every day.

Latest

Trending

Trending