Your thoughts on the sunday trading law? Watch

Leigh
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Why not let people choose? If you're strictly religious, and believe in resting on a Sunday, don't go to Tescos on a Sunday, and don't take a job where they make you work on a Sunday.
If you aren't, or don't see 'resting' as synonymous with 'having to sit in the house doing bugger all because everywhere is closed', then you can go shopping.

I think it's a very old fashioned, religious tradition which should be removed like many other similar things. I mean, we can't put flags up in the work place now. I'd say forcing someone to close their shop on a day of rest for one religion (ok, it's the religion of our country, but it's the same argument as the flag thing) is worse than displaying a flag!
M'Lady
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Will)
They don't. It's not like there's a type of person out there who sits at home on Sundays, gripping the arms of a chair, drooling at the mouth and watching teleshopping, all because the shops are closed. I'm just saying that it would be convenient for all sorts of people if supermarkets/convenience stores could open longer hours. If you found that you didn't have milk to make a dessert for Sunday dinner because it had gone off, for example, it would be nice to be able to go out and buy some more.
Why couldn't you have thought "we're running low on milk" on saturday? Really it's not a life or death situation. The whole western world is turning into "convenience" this and "convenience" that, most of the time it's just laziness.
There are people similar to that which you have described, I've been violently threatened by a customer before because I told her we were closing. I work in a toy shop and she'd been in there for atleast an hour prior to closing so she'd had plenty of time to choose her so desperately wanted toy.

(Original post by Will)
These are big corporations though, and nobody is forcing the employees to work Sunday evenings, even if some of them don't want to.
Like I said before, some people HAVE to work sundays because of their contract and to save themselves and their families from starving because that may be the only job they can get.

(Original post by Will)
Well, you better give yourself a pat on the back and a cookie, because only 99.99% of the rest of the population can go 24 hours without shopping. You make it sound like there are millions of people who need their 'hit' of shopping every day.
That is how it's coming across.

Personally I don't see the whole problem if all shops closed for 24hrs each week and I also think that 6hrs on a Sunday is plenty time to think about getting anything you se desperately need.
M'Lady
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Will)
They don't. It's not like there's a type of person out there who sits at home on Sundays, gripping the arms of a chair, drooling at the mouth and watching teleshopping, all because the shops are closed. I'm just saying that it would be convenient for all sorts of people if supermarkets/convenience stores could open longer hours. If you found that you didn't have milk to make a dessert for Sunday dinner because it had gone off, for example, it would be nice to be able to go out and buy some more.
Why couldn't you have thought "we're running low on milk" on saturday? Really it's not a life or death situation. The whole western world is turning into "convenience" this and "convenience" that, most of the time it's just laziness.
There are people similar to that which you have described, I've been violently threatened by a customer before because I told her we were closing. I work in a toy shop and she'd been in there for atleast an hour prior to closing so she'd had plenty of time to choose her so desperately wanted toy.

(Original post by Will)
These are big corporations though, and nobody is forcing the employees to work Sunday evenings, even if some of them don't want to.
Like I said before, some people HAVE to work sundays because of their contract and to save themselves and their families from starving because that may be the only job they can get.

(Original post by Will)
Well, you better give yourself a pat on the back and a cookie, because only 99.99% of the rest of the population can go 24 hours without shopping. You make it sound like there are millions of people who need their 'hit' of shopping every day.
That is how it's coming across.

Personally I don't see the whole problem if all shops closed for 24hrs each week and I also think that 6hrs on a Sunday is plenty time to think about getting anything you so desperately need.
Arminius
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I still don't think you've given a good reason for keeping the sunday law, merely reasons why you don't think people should shop on sundays.

I'm in favour of scrapping the law not because i'm a shopaholic but because sometimes its a sunday and you run out of something, or get the munchies for a particular type of food and you have to wait till monday to get it.

You will probably call me impatient, but i'd like you to tell me a good reason why i should have to wait. Whats the point in waiting?

Also, if somebody has to work on sunday so that their family "doesn't starve" then surely the restricted hours of work on sunday allready restrict their earnings? thats a bad thing too.
Fleffzilla
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by The One and Only Lady Jennington)
Personally I don't see the whole problem if all shops closed for 24hrs each week and I also think that 6hrs on a Sunday is plenty time to think about getting anything you so desperately need.
Sometimes in life things happen which you can't predict.

Sometimes all the feminine products in my house get used up, seeing as there's me, my sister, and my mum. Sometimes there's very few, or even none left. And it's saturday night. But we can wait 'til monday, right? One day won't hurt? And for the record I don't have the habit of going round my house checking that we have enough of everything in case we run out on sunday - I have other things to do, such as my job. I work from 10am-11pm sometimes on a saturday, I don't have the time nor the energy to make a shopping list at any point during the time I'm not at work.
What if I start my period sunday evening, after the shops have shut. Where does that leave me?
In bed that night feeling very uncomfortable and dirty.

If people, as you have said, need the money, being restricted to only 6 hours on a sunday isn't helping. If a shop wants to open on a sunday from 10-6, there's more hours to work. You've contradicted yourself.

"Like I said before, some people HAVE to work sundays because of their contract and to save themselves and their families from starving because that may be the only job they can get."
Then they work sundays, get more hours = more money = no family starving.

"The whole western world is turning into "convenience" this and "convenience" that, most of the time it's just laziness."
Laziness would be refusing to get the milk from a nearby cow, not wanting to walk to the local shop to get some milk for a cup of tea.

"I also think that 6hrs on a Sunday is plenty time to think about getting anything you so desperately need."
Unless you're one of the people in the world who don't work in a shop or an office, maybe a pub or a restaurant who aren't bound by those hours, so you have to work through the time in which shops are open. In which case, you're buggered if you come home with a splitting headache after a hard days work and realise that you're even more buggered because someone else has used the paracetamol and not thought to get any more, and the shops are shut.

Yes, we're a demanding society, and there's quite obviously a demand for shops to be open on sundays, judging by the response from this thread and the fact that the shops are already open on sundays. Usually with trading it's a case of supply and demand. In this case, there's plenty of demand but bugger all supply, because the government says no.

I can see your points, but the way you're putting them across does not help your argument. Your tone's aggressive without need, and frankly, it's annoying me. Even if you're right, I'm still going to try and argue with you purely because you're being an ass about it.
db
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Fleff)
I can see your points, but the way you're putting them accross does not help your argument. Your tone's aggressive without need, and frankly, it's annoying me. Even if you're right, I'm still going to try and argue with you purely because you're being an ass about it.
what she said
M'Lady
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I don't know about anyone else, but before I go shopping I go round checking that I've got written down everything that looks like it's about to run out if there are a box of tampons with 5 in on a particular day then I will write it down and buy them before I have to. That way I never get caught short. That is what I was trying to explain about how you can avoid needing to go shopping for more than 24hours. Surely 6hours on a sunday is enough time to think about and actually go and buy a box of tampons?
I wasn't being agressive how can you tell my tone from typed words? I could say that you sound like you have an agressive tone from your typed words it depends on how you read it. I admit I may have been aggressive earlier in the thread and I appologise, but I am not being agressive now.
Fleffzilla
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by The One and Only Lady Jennington)
I don't know about anyone else, but before I go shopping I go round checking that I've got written down everything that looks like it's about to run out if there are a box of tampons with 5 in on a particular day then I will write it down and buy them before I have to. That way I never get caught short. That is what I was trying to explain about how you can avoid needing to go shopping for more than 24hours. Surely 6hours on a sunday is enough time to think about and actually go and buy a box of tampons?
I wasn't being agressive how can you tell my tone from typed words? I could say that you sound like you have an agressive tone from your typed words it depends on how you read it. I admit I may have been aggressive earlier in the thread and I appologise, but I am not being agressive now.
For starters, I've got a job, my sisters got a job, my mum and dad both have jobs, we have other responsabilities. The main emphasis in our house is on food, so some things get missed. It's inevitable that something gets missed because there's so many things to shop for. We don't have time to go round the whole house checking that we've got everything on a list. Yes, we make one, but sometimes, as is human nature, we make mistakes. It's not convenient for us. So yes, shops opening on sundays is a convenience thing. But why not? Shops are made for convenience. Otherwise we'd grow our own food, or buy from farmers, and not have microwave meals. And sometimes, it's an inconvenience that they are only open for 6 hours on a sunday. So why have convenience stores that are inconvenient?

The main reason shops were shut on sundays was down to religion, it's the day of rest. So no work, no shopping, nothing. You stay at home or go for a walk on the beach somewhere and spend time resting. And go to church.
But half of us aren't religious anymore, we're not strict believers anymore. We have other days of rest that are dictated by our jobs. I've got tomorrow and tuesday off, but I've been working today, I'll be working wednesday onwards again. This is my weekend coming up now. And it's the same for everyone who works where I do - they have weird days off. Dan started work at 10 this morning and didn't finish until about an hour ago. How can he go shopping now? It's the same for people who are in the same line of work as me.Which is a lot of people. It's not down to religion when we rest anymore, so why should shopping be down to it?
I can't see how it's a huge inconvenience if shops are allowed to be open if they choose to for a bit longer on a sunday. I don't see why sundays should be special anymore. That tradition's gone and it seems it's hanging on by the skin of it's teeth, to the annoyance of others who treat sundays the same as any other day.
Invocation
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
i think the law should be scrapped entirely. im pissed of that on sundays the things that were available to me on saturday arnt there. not everyone is religious in britain, or even crhistian so i dont see why the government should stop trading on sundays just because its a sunday. plus it gives you a chance to buy things that you forgot to buy on saturday

plus the extra spending will help the economy to grow by a very big margin in the long-term
SuperhansFavouriteAlsatian
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
What's wrong with leaving it in the hands of the businesses and companies, as to if they want to open? If they can find the staff and have the desire to, what right does the government have to tell them they can't?
Invocation
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by DanGrover)
What's wrong with leaving it in the hands of the businesses and companies, as to if they want to open? If they can find the staff and have the desire to, what right does the government have to tell them they can't?
the government thinks it has to keep the church-going christians happy to secure their support
SuperhansFavouriteAlsatian
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by 10inchpianist)
the government thinks it has to keep the church-going christians happy to secure their support
what, all 13 of them?
Invocation
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by DanGrover)
what, all 13 of them?
trust me they're a lot more of them then you'd think in rural areas. i think they'll die out in number dramatically in the nexy 30/40 years though. but i shouldn't have to wait that long to but food on a sunday !!!
M'Lady
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Fleff)
For starters, I've got a job, my sisters got a job, my mum and dad both have jobs, we have other responsabilities. The main emphasis in our house is on food, so some things get missed. It's inevitable that something gets missed because there's so many things to shop for. We don't have time to go round the whole house checking that we've got everything on a list. Yes, we make one, but sometimes, as is human nature, we make mistakes. It's not convenient for us. So yes, shops opening on sundays is a convenience thing. But why not? Shops are made for convenience. Otherwise we'd grow our own food, or buy from farmers, and not have microwave meals. And sometimes, it's an inconvenience that they are only open for 6 hours on a sunday. So why have convenience stores that are inconvenient?

The main reason shops were shut on sundays was down to religion, it's the day of rest. So no work, no shopping, nothing. You stay at home or go for a walk on the beach somewhere and spend time resting. And go to church.
But half of us aren't religious anymore, we're not strict believers anymore. We have other days of rest that are dictated by our jobs. I've got tomorrow and tuesday off, but I've been working today, I'll be working wednesday onwards again. This is my weekend coming up now. And it's the same for everyone who works where I do - they have weird days off. Dan started work at 10 this morning and didn't finish until about an hour ago. How can he go shopping now? It's the same for people who are in the same line of work as me.Which is a lot of people. It's not down to religion when we rest anymore, so why should shopping be down to it?
I can't see how it's a huge inconvenience if shops are allowed to be open if they choose to for a bit longer on a sunday. I don't see why sundays should be special anymore. That tradition's gone and it seems it's hanging on by the skin of it's teeth, to the annoyance of others who treat sundays the same as any other day.
Before the summer holidays I was in school 5days a week, I was working friday evenings and all days saturdays and sundays. I volunteer on tuesday and wednesday evenings and I had piano lessons on thursday evenings. This left me with monday evenings to do any shopping I needed to. I managed.
Anyway, I'm going to cornwall for a week now, so goodbye.
Segat1
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I miss 24 hour shopping.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

The new Gillette ad. Is it:

Man-hating bullsh*t (140)
46.51%
Pro-humanity (161)
53.49%

Watched Threads