User-selected forums in Discussions widget

Watch this thread
Dwane
Badges: 6
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Yesterday, there was a thread (already taken down by moderators) in which people expressed frustration for the frequent threads concerning Muslims.

What if the Discussions widget allows forums of the user's choice (e.g. the Religion forum) to be removed when listing the latest and most popular threads?
If the Discussions widget also ignores the Chat forum by default, it would go hand-in-hand with the solution of off-putting sexist titles on the Latest Discussions column.
Truefaith
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 years ago
This could be a good idea but one could just not reply or not click on the thread. I also think that troll threads should be dealt with rather than hidden.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Noor90
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
I think this is a good idea, will probably help clean things up as well I think the mods should seriously consider this idea.
Vixen47
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
I'm surprised this hasn't already been done. It would make seeing relevant forums/threads so much easier as the completely irrelevant ones (for me that would be those regarding universities and specific subject forums that have nothing to do with me) won't contaminate the Discussions section.

Also, a lot of people have been reporting that they find it incredibly irritating that so many threads on Islam are contaminating their Discussions section. I also find this to be an issue except my issue isn't just the threads on Islam -- it's most of the threads on the Religion forum.

Having this option would be tres bien. :borat: It would make Discussions a lot cleaner and easier because we won't have to sift through threads so much.
Dwane
(Original post by Truefaith)
This could be a good idea but one could just not reply or not click on the thread. I also think that troll threads should be dealt with rather than hidden.
Have you noticed a significant number of people who click / reply anyway? It just sounds like it's easier said than done. Besides, as Vixen47 mentioned above, different forums will have different relevancy to different people. The latest thread in a forum which a person has no interest in whatsoever takes up space in the Discussions columna relevant thread to the person would be more useful in its place.

Troll threads should be dealt with, yes, and I hope the moderators are doing a good job with that. However, I think this increased functionality of the Discussions widget would reduce the number of troll threads, if some of those troll threads are indeed the result of some people seeing far too many Muslim-related threads than they prefer, for example.
Hal.E.Lujah
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
I really like this idea. I currently can't see any reason for it not to happen. If someone has a counter argument I'd love to hear it.

(Original post by Captain Jack)
qfa
(Original post by Fullofsurprises)
qfa
(Original post by Dez)
qfa
Thoughts?
rmhumphries
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Hal.E.Lujah)
I really like this idea. I currently can't see any reason for it not to happen. If someone has a counter argument I'd love to hear it.

Thoughts?
It has been suggested before, and I believe Capt. Jack liked it - so it might already be on the dev list
Fullofsurprises
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
I would support this idea, glad it's being discussed.
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Could work well, I think it should definitely be looked into
gdunne42
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
100% yes please

Posted from TSR Mobile
username1078181
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Amen to that, sir.
Captain Jack
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Great idea, thank you for starting this thread. This is certainly something we could explore after Christmas. What would be great us for everyone to share all of your ideas in here, try thinking of multiple different ways it could work, then we could look at all of them together
Dwane
I realised that the Watched Forums widget is related to the feature I'm suggesting for the Discussions widget. In the FAQ, it says "the Watched Forums widget lets you keep track of any new posts or threads in the forums you've selected to watch."

Nevertheless, my suggestion should still be implemented because

(1) For the Watched Forums widget, forums must first be selected to be watched. It's more practical to be able to remove forums in the Discussions widget which people don't want to watch (the exception being the Chat forum which should be removed by default to deal with the issue of off-putting titles).

(2) Only one thread per forum is shown by the Watched Forums widget. We need to see many threads per forum, like the current Discussions widget.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE English Language Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (70)
19.23%
The paper was reasonable (134)
36.81%
Not feeling great about that exam... (108)
29.67%
It was TERRIBLE (52)
14.29%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed