The Student Room Group

Would anybody reject Oxford for a foreign university?

Just curious if anybody that got accepted to Oxford would consider going to a lower ranked university abroad or not?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No, why would anyone want to go to a lower ranked uni abroad where you can go to one of the best in the country and its closer to home, like you have to be stupid to reject oxford unless you get accepted at Harvard then maybe
Reply 2
Yes if it's free and slightly lower.
For a degree like medicine.
Reply 3
Original post by mr T 999
No, why would anyone want to go to a lower ranked uni abroad where you can go to one of the best in the country and its closer to home, like you have to be stupid to reject oxford unless you get accepted at Harvard then maybe

mmm, not really, I mean, rankings aren't the only factor are they? I mean, there are plenty of other things someone might prioritise. Maybe to live with family abroad, or to move further away from family, or love of that country, or maybe because the university abroad is a nicer area to live, or cheaper fees, or maybe the course is better (in their opinion) - perhaps because the university is known to be particularly good at that one course...

Lots of possible reasons. People have different motivations lol. It's just a university.
Reply 4
Original post by Pride
mmm, not really, I mean, rankings aren't the only factor are they? I mean, there are plenty of other things someone might prioritise. Maybe to live with family abroad, or to move further away from family, or love of that country, or maybe because the university abroad is a nicer area to live, or cheaper fees, or maybe the course is better (in their opinion) - perhaps because the university is known to be particularly good at that one course...

Lots of possible reasons. People have different motivations lol. It's just a university.

Stop judging me it just my opinion, that whats the question is asking for people opinions
Reply 5
Stop judging me it just my opinion, that whats the question is asking for people opinions

You asked why would anyone not go to oxford, I was just informing you of possible reasons... Blimey, calm down...
Reply 6
A lot of American students don't take up Oxford/Cambridge offers because if they're smart enough to get in then they're likely to get a full scholarship (which completely covers the extortionate fees) over in the US! As for home students who are well supported by SFE, I can't see why they would..
Reply 7

I can't see anything judgemental about that reply..
Reply 8
I wouldn't. I mean unless you really prefer the foreign university. Money shouldn't be a question because an Oxford degree will most likely earn you more than a foreign university. Sadly that's how the system works. So I guess it's the worth the 9k which you don't even directly pay for.

So only if you really like the course offered by the foreign university.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you for all of the responses, I did ask for opinions and I know people are going to disagree. I was just really curious
Reply 10
Original post by senz72
I wouldn't. I mean unless you really prefer the foreign university. Money shouldn't be a question because an Oxford degree will most likely earn you more than a foreign university. Sadly that's how the system works. So I guess it's the worth the 9k which you don't even directly pay for.

So only if you really like the course offered by the foreign university.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This isn't necessarily true. What is it with this forum?
It depends on numerous things, including what the course is, and what career you're aiming for.
Reply 11
Original post by Pride
This isn't necessarily true. What is it with this forum?
It depends on numerous things, including what the course is, and what career you're aiming for.

Probably why they said "most likely" - of course it's not necessarily true.
Reply 12
I would. I don't think I'm going to get an offer from Oxford though due to my disastrous interview but I would turn them down for any of the US unis I've applied to.
Reply 13
Never
Reply 14
Original post by Noble.
Probably why they said "most likely" - of course it's not necessarily true.

But that's what I'm saying. How do we know that most of the time, it's true. Or that it's highly probable. I mean, where are the studies to support that? Don't employers take into account numerous factors before they just employ graduates? Are they really going to go, 'oh you went to Oxford? Let's skip the interview, you're hired!' or 'oh you went to Oxford, therefore you should earn more than this person that went to Prague'?
Reply 15
Original post by ChangeOurWorld
Thank you for all of the responses, I did ask for opinions and I know people are going to disagree. I was just really curious

I still insist that I've been nice here... :dontknow:
I have a friend who turned down Oxford for Newcastle.

He got a 1st class degree, got a distinction in his MSc and now is happily employed. Additionally he also met his fiance at Newcastle too. His brother went to Oxford and he didn't like what it had done to him but he applied there because their parents expected them to.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by Pride
But that's what I'm saying. How do we know that most of the time, it's true. Or that it's highly probable. I mean, where are the studies to support that? Don't employers take into account numerous factors before they just employ graduates? Are they really going to go, 'oh you went to Oxford? Let's skip the interview, you're hired!' or 'oh you went to Oxford, therefore you should earn more than this person that went to Prague'?

:lol: You'd be surprised at the number of companies with this mentality, or worse, the few prestigious jobs, or highly paid startup jobs, which don't bother recruiting outside of Oxbridge in the UK.

As soon as I saw the thread I thought of this: http://oxford.tab.co.uk/2013/03/12/oxford-has-more-millionaire-grads-than-cambridge/

Where both Oxford and Cambridge topped the list, by quite a large margin. Of course it isn't proof that even the average Oxbridge graduate goes onto earn more, but it's hardly surprising that earnings and reputation of the university you attended are quite highly correlated - there's plenty of evidence that shows this (if you search on this topic there's a Government group who do a yearly 'study' on this).
If you are hard working, knuckle down, can think for yourself and get the tasks in front of you done to a high standard, you will go far in life.
It should not be any surprise that the majority of hard working students , then go on to top universities and then follow this through in their careers. (this is not getting into other issues such as social mobility btw!)

BUT

There is nothing to say that if you get accepted into a top university and choose to go elsewhere that you will not be able to succeed just as well. Sure top level universities do often hold a bit more weight with employers, but properly not as much as some people think!

At the end of the day employers are looking for all the traits listed above, and if you can show that to them then really where you were educated has nothing to do with it.
Some people may wish to study elsewhere for a variety of reasons, course content, general feeling of the uni, University may offer specific work experience you cant get elsewhere etc.....that doesn't make someone 'stupid' for thinking about their options careful.
Reply 19
I'm here, and I'd be tempted by top Ivy League. But nothing else.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending