The Student Room Group

Would anybody reject Oxford for a foreign university?

Scroll to see replies

Because if you are good enough to get into Havard, MIT, Princeton you can definitely receive full scholarships. You will also have the chance to study at Oxford for one year. So you can have the best of both world.
Reply 61
Original post by Lucilou101
There's things I prefer about other universities such as having more free time, less intensive, I didn't really like the city itself very much.
Also the course at Durham is a lot more flexible, so much that I could even continue a maths module if I wanted to.

It also depends on what subject they gave me an offer for, as I applied for Classics and English and got interviewed for straight Classics at another college. Which I wouldn't accept if I got.

I felt a bit like this a few years ago after my Oxford interviews, but then I got my offer :wink: :tongue:

Congrats! :clap2:
I would say it relies strongly on your subject, in my case (engineering) I would say I might if it was for an equivelant uni in my field such as MIT or Cal Tech but besides that, I would not. Unis become world renowned for a reason. And on the pay front you may not get treated differently to other graduates in a job you apply for but what an Oxbridge degree does do is allow you to apply for jobs with higher pay, I am getting e-mails inviting me into careers with over 2 times the salary of a standard graduate engineer position PLUS a company car. (And I have only just finished my first term at oxford)

Posted from TSR Mobile
It very much depends, and there is quite a strong difference between undegrad vs grad education.

For undergrads, I think it is unlikely but possible: it would very much depend on the program and the overall environment. For instance, one might not like very much the collegiate system, or be enthusiast about working with someone outside Oxbridge. Since people getting into Oxbridge for undergraduate education are very strong applicants, they might prefer other world-renowned universities with different systems, locations, and so on.

For postgrads, I think it is much more likely to reject Oxbridge for foreign (or domestic) universities, since the considered variables are generally different from those of undegrads (and there is greater variation among degree programs and departmental reputations).
Reply 64
This year, rumour has it a guy at my school rejected an offer from Cambridge (Trinity) to study at Columbia.
Original post by Катя
This year, rumour has it a guy at my school rejected an offer from Cambridge (Trinity) to study at Columbia.

There's a person on the Oxford thread who's going to reject Oxford if they get an offer from Columbia :smile:
Reply 66
Harvard for sure, if I got a scholarship, the whole American university scene seems so much more fun

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Катя

It says on your profile you study at Trinity Cambridge. If it is maths you are doing then: :adore:.
Is it?
Original post by Катя

Original post by Lucilou101
There's a person on the Oxford thread who's going to reject Oxford if they get an offer from Columbia :smile:

I met somebody at Oxford interviews this year who while in Oxford got an email notifying him of his Columbia success, so withdrew his Oxford application.
My friend's brother rejected Cambridge engineering for stanford. But we're international and stanford offered him a scholarship. Plus you can work in the us after you graduate:smile::smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending