The Student Room Group

How to make a good impression as a potential housemate?

So I've been a bit unlucky with halls, I live in a flat with chinese students. They are nice enough but because of the language barrier - they're mainly on their foundation year to learn english this year - it's kind of hard to even have a conversation with them.

I didn't move because I have quite specific requirements because of my medical conditions, so the place is ideal requirementwise and it's really quiet so atleast I get good sleep.

However most my friends already have signed contracts for second year... pretty much all of them are sticking with their flatmates from halls. I could have lived with one friend's group but it was a large partying group which worried me in terms of sleeping It would have been hard to get all the things I needed from a house without going over some of their budget so I said don't worry I'll sort something.

And well... I haven't. Today I went to view a house and it was IDEAL! However, I was taken aback that they were showing another girl around at the same time. She'd arrived well before me and was already making one of the guys laugh. She was doing the same course as some of them in the same year, and at the same society as another and I just got so nervous I made things really awkward so I feel they'll pick her over me if she's interested (which she definitely seemed) .

I guess I kind of feel like some kind of a freak for not finding a house for second year (none of my friends had problems) even though I know it's been down to luck. I haven't even been at uni half the time, because I had surgery and needed to go home to recover. I really don't want to go back into halls as although my immediate flatmates are quiet I do get woken up several times a week at 3am herw which hasn;t been great.

So next time around, how do I come across better? What would good questions to ask be? How do I get across that I'd be an awesome housemate? Any tips on how to not be nervous (it's weird I'm usually confident, this is just such an awkward sit to be in)?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
So I've been a bit unlucky with halls, I live in a flat with chinese students. They are nice enough but because of the language barrier - they're mainly on their foundation year to learn english this year - it's kind of hard to even have a conversation with them.

I didn't move because I have quite specific requirements because of my medical conditions, so the place is ideal requirementwise and it's really quiet so atleast I get good sleep.

However most my friends already have signed contracts for second year... pretty much all of them are sticking with their flatmates from halls. I could have lived with one friend's group but it was a large partying group which worried me in terms of sleeping It would have been hard to get all the things I needed from a house without going over some of their budget so I said don't worry I'll sort something.

And well... I haven't. Today I went to view a house and it was IDEAL! However, I was taken aback that they were showing another girl around at the same time. She'd arrived well before me and was already making one of the guys laugh. She was doing the same course as some of them in the same year, and at the same society as another and I just got so nervous I made things really awkward so I feel they'll pick her over me if she's interested (which she definitely seemed) .

I guess I kind of feel like some kind of a freak for not finding a house for second year (none of my friends had problems) even though I know it's been down to luck. I haven't even been at uni half the time, because I had surgery and needed to go home to recover. I really don't want to go back into halls as although my immediate flatmates are quiet I do get woken up several times a week at 3am herw which hasn;t been great.

So next time around, how do I come across better? What would good questions to ask be? How do I get across that I'd be an awesome housemate? Any tips on how to not be nervous (it's weird I'm usually confident, this is just such an awkward sit to be in)?

Sorry just realised I contradicted myself. It's good for sleep as in no-one wakes me up early and I can rest as much as I need during the day (no one plays their music loud) which is unusual for my uni halls. But all halls are bad for sleep during the night in general on nights out lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending