The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yes and it will start in Asia.
I don't exclude another World War in people's history. I give them credits to do it, but I don't think so that it may happen in our lifetime. If World War III should break out, the mankind and the earth will destroy.
Reply 3
World War III will be a cyber war, and it will be more devastating than the other two combined.
Reply 4
Yes. Governments etc will shut down electricity in rich countries and then everyone will die instantly
Reply 5
Almost certainly, our way of life ensures it and by that I mean the system of corrupt-capitalism.

Oh god don't mistake me as a Marxist, note I wrote CORRUPT.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Assassinn
Almost certainly, our way of life ensures it and by that I mean the system of corrupt-capitalism.

Oh god don't mistake me as a Marxist, note I wrote CORRUPT.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm also a critic of capitalism, but not a marxist. But in my opinion World War III wil not be caused by capitalism in the future. I guess it will be a conflict between different ideologies.
Reply 7
Yes. As a result of overpopuation/lack of resources. Asia will be worst affected (since they're developing quickly and are highly populated)
(edited 10 years ago)
I just want a zombie apocalypse really...
doubt it will happen in our lifetime.
We already had WW3, it was won in 1989.
Reply 11
How can there be a consensus on something purely hypothetical and not based on any rigorous causal evidence?

East Asia is probably the most volatile region of the world geopolitically when scaled for state capacity to launch war - the Middle East's state military capacity has been severely deteriorated by war, economic stagnation, corruption and a restive population.

And the power struggle between China and the US could turn violent, as emerging powers tend to have a tendency to cause wars. But any historian or political analysis who believes they can determine even a vague outline of future events is smoking a crack pipe.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by felamaslen
We already had WW3, it was won in 1989.

Do you associate Cold War with World War III? if World War III were broken out at that time, no one would exist today.
Original post by Kallisto
Do you associate Cold War with World War III? if World War III were broken out at that time, no one would exist today.

It was a war of ideas, but still very much a war.
Reply 14
I'm not so sure that WW3 will occur when one looks at the fact that we enough shale oil to last for centuries, GM crops that can sustain the developed world and desalinisation technology. We're even looking at space mining.

If there were a war however i suspect the aggressor would either be a dictator or a heavily religious country. Shia vs Sunni and Pakistan vs India come to mind, Russia is somewhat a dictatorship threatened by European expansion. African countries are bound to go nuclear at some point.

I don't see China and the USA going to war however, they have a fairly harmonious relationship and no religious clash.
(edited 10 years ago)
It already happened, it was called the Cold War. It was the Third World War because it was fought in (and quite frankly, against) the Third World by the USA and USSR.
Original post by Ferrus
How can there be a consensus on something purely hypothetical and not based on any rigorous causal evidence?

1+1=2
Reply 17
There should never be a consensus on anything called "War" - these things should be avoided, and if they are not we should rethink the political front we are "using"
Reply 18
Original post by coolcapp
There should never be a consensus on anything called "War" - these things should be avoided, and if they are not we should rethink the political front we are "using"

Why? War and force are perfectly valid and necessary responses to certain events. Maybe not in this context but I can think of quite a few situations where politicians were right to call for the use of force against other nations
No, in my opinion because globalisation and an increased ability to access information around the world means that there is no benefit for any nation to start another mass war.

Latest

Trending

Trending