goldleaf40
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hey student room community, I present you with a problem which has been worrying me since it happened however it's now come of time when my RAF pilot application process is in the near future as I graduate from uni this year and I have to deal with the problem I am stuck with (literally). The problem started two years ago on an american football tour, sadly the "what goes on tour stays on tour" motto does not apply here. The whole team decided to get tattoos on their bottoms saying "I <3 TOUR" to remember the best week of their lives, sadly at the time I was in a weak place after solidly drinking for the past week and gave into temptation. 50 Euros and one sore coach journey home I now am stuck with the dilemma of the RAF eligibility rules, I understand that these can be flexible and some tattoos are allowed however the question is would I be throwing it all away if I applied with this tattoo or am I worrying about nothing?
Here is what the section in the "You can't join if..." says:

The RAF policy on tattoos prohibits personnel from joining the service if they have tattoos or brands that are deemed obscene or offensive (eg racist, anti-religion or belief, crude, overtly sexist, homophobic, drug-related or of an extreme political nature).

In addition, RAF Personnel are not permitted to have any tattoos that are above the neck collar, on the hands, wrists or on the ankles so that they are visible in Service uniform.
Similarly, bead implantation that is deemed obscene or offensive or is visible in Service uniform is not permitted.

Whether a tattoo or bead implantation is deemed obscene or offensive will be determined on a case-by-case basis according to extant policy and seeking legal advice where appropriate.
Please be aware that during the recruiting process, a record of the location of tattoos/bead implantation will be requested.

So here is my questions:
Will they check my derriere?
Should I tell them anyway?
Would you class the tattoo as "crude" or "obscene"?
If they do find out will they decline my application?

Thanks for your responses in advance!
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by goldleaf40)
So here is my questions:

Yes, I don't think it'll come up, not really, and I doubt it.

You've got much more to be thinking about or worrying about rather than a daft tattoo. Relax!
Tommmo
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You are worrying about nothing. Your tattoo is not obscene, crude or offensive. It is also not above neck line etc.

I've seen worse tattoos knocking around the RAF so don't worry, you'll be fine. During recruitment they give you a form with a picture of a person and you just have to show on there what/where you have them. They will also be noted during your medical - that's it.

Basically, unless you've got a penis or a swastika on your forehead it's not a major issue. Being laughed at in the gym showers, however, that's a different thing entirely Best of luck with your application.
ProStacker
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It's a bit sad, but it won't be a reason for you to pass or fail.

Concentrate on those things.
tory88
  • Study Helper
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Make sure to be honest about it, most importantly (if they find out later on that is grounds for dismissal). I don't think anyone could classify it as a banned tattoo - it's not in a visible place and isn't offensive/crude/racist etc.
Silver Arrows
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Tell them. It should be fine anyway.
tes1996
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
My father had a tattoo of his school crest and motto, then got some WE Henley lines whilst at university- all on his upper arms. Then when he commissioned into his regiment, he had the regimental badge done.
Bearing in mind he was a regular officer in a prestigious regiment involved in public duties, he had no problems at all. As long as they're covered up (as one would hope your arse would be) they can't stop you from joining.
Good luck
Lord T
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hello there Goldleaf40, I have 2 pretty simple answers for your question. firstly my knowledge of this, I have served 3 years in the Army and I am currently re-joining in to the RAF.

A. Tell them, tattoos are not a problem at all unless they can be seen in service uniform with it been on your arse this is not a problem. also if you put down that you have a tattoo on the form "picture of a man" they will only ask you what it is they wont ask to see it, all you have to say is that it is words and nothing offensive.

B. Don't tell them, they are not going to check and they are not going to find out, once you have joined up you will find that nobody tells anyone about any new tattoos they will be getting.

I have served with plenty of people with tattoos on necks and hands etc. don't even worry about it.

if it was me I wouldn't even bother telling them.
ProStacker
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Lord T)
B. Don't tell them, they are not going to check and they are not going to find out, once you have joined up you will find that nobody tells anyone about any new tattoos they will be getting.

I have served with plenty of people with tattoos on necks and hands etc. don't even worry about it.

if it was me I wouldn't even bother telling them.
Crap advice. Integrity is something they look for. If he tries to hide it then it gets seen on a medical, they will see it.
Lord T
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm very sorry you found my advice "crap" prostacker. It's up to goldleaf40 what he chooses to do. Also the medical is done by a civilian doctor and you do not remove your underwear. Also the doctor is not there to check what tattoos you have or have not and does not have any information from the careers office regarding your tattoo form.
ProStacker
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Also the medical is done by a civilian doctor and you do not remove your underwear. Also the doctor is not there to check what tattoos you have or have not and does not have any information from the careers office regarding your tattoo form.
The OP is applying for Pilot. This involves a medical and eventually an Aircrew medical. Have you experience of Officer and Aircrew medicals?

Still crap advice and integrity is important.
fred292
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by goldleaf40)
Hey student room community, I present you with a problem which has been worrying me since it happened however it's now come of time when my RAF pilot application process is in the near future as I graduate from uni this year and I have to deal with the problem I am stuck with (literally). The problem started two years ago on an american football tour, sadly the "what goes on tour stays on tour" motto does not apply here. The whole team decided to get tattoos on their bottoms saying "I <3 TOUR" to remember the best week of their lives, sadly at the time I was in a weak place after solidly drinking for the past week and gave into temptation. 50 Euros and one sore coach journey home I now am stuck with the dilemma of the RAF eligibility rules, I understand that these can be flexible and some tattoos are allowed however the question is would I be throwing it all away if I applied with this tattoo or am I worrying about nothing?
Here is what the section in the "You can't join if..." says:

The RAF policy on tattoos prohibits personnel from joining the service if they have tattoos or brands that are deemed obscene or offensive (eg racist, anti-religion or belief, crude, overtly sexist, homophobic, drug-related or of an extreme political nature).

In addition, RAF Personnel are not permitted to have any tattoos that are above the neck collar, on the hands, wrists or on the ankles so that they are visible in Service uniform.
Similarly, bead implantation that is deemed obscene or offensive or is visible in Service uniform is not permitted.

Whether a tattoo or bead implantation is deemed obscene or offensive will be determined on a case-by-case basis according to extant policy and seeking legal advice where appropriate.
Please be aware that during the recruiting process, a record of the location of tattoos/bead implantation will be requested.

So here is my questions:

Uou can always get it removed, can't you just tell them that.
AwsomePossum
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by ProStacker)
The OP is applying for Pilot. This involves a medical and eventually an Aircrew medical. Have you experience of Officer and Aircrew medicals?

I'm neither officer, Aircrew or RAF. Plenty of lads I joined up with have horrendously **** tattoo's in all sorts of places. I suppose the fact its not visible in any form of dress will probably save you OP.
Lord T
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by ProStacker)

I served a year with the qaranc "medics" I provided medical assessments for navy, raf, army. At no point will they ask the OP to drop his underwear.

Getting off topic anyway now.
Rhys_Mayes
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I have a half sleeve and they didn't bat an eyelid

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I served a year with the qaranc "medics" I provided medical assessments for navy, raf, army. At no point will they ask the OP to drop his underwear.

Getting off topic anyway now.
After a dozen or so aircrew PMEs, I can contentedly say that your experience of "qaranc medics" and any "assessments" you may have done are meaningless, and unfortunately there have been times where doctors have been able to see my backside in the regular course of their duties.

More importantly, as about 10 people have already said "it doesn't matter in the slightest," can you explain why on earth you'd advise the OP to lie on a form connected with his application??
Rhys_Mayes
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Don't lie, just don't bloody do it! They will fu*k you if they find out!

Be honest, tattoos are a lot more accepted in the armed forces now! People who have full body tattoos even get into the RAF newspaper and win prizes etc! It's Harder to find people in the forces without tattoos than it is to find people that have them!

They won't care mate! Like I said doctor asked if that was my only tattoo, I said yes and that was that

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (296)
55.95%
I don't have everything I need (233)
44.05%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise