This discussion is closed.
Jarred
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
B621 - Treason Felony (Repeal) Bill 2013, TSR Liberal Party

The Treason Felony (Repeal) Act 2013
An Act to abolish Section 3 of the Treason Felony Act and all legislation pertaining to regulations and statutory provisions relating to the Treason Felony Act.

BE IT ENACTED by The Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:

1. Statutory repeals
(1) The following Statutes are hereby repealed:
(a)Treason Felony Act 1848 (Section 3)

2. Commencement
(1) The provisions contained within this Act shall come into force on the first day of January 2014.

3 Short Title
(1) This Act may be cited as the Treason Felony (Repeal) Act 2013.

Notes
What is the Treason Felony Act?
Written in the 19th century, it fundamentally outlaws republicanism and freedom of speech around the subject of republicanism or anti-monarchy discussion. This act enforces the sentence of life imprisonment for anyone who even contemplates opposing Britain's hereditary monarchy and associated institutions.

Why abolish the Treason Felony Act?
It is a fundamental breach of our freedom of speech and expression. It is an outdated law that needs removing from the statute books. The law has not been used to prosecute anyone for many years, but it means it is still theoretically possible for anybody who even so much as imagines over throwing or declaring war on the Queen or the Monarch to be imprisoned for life. Repealing Section 3 will be a further step towards modernising the United Kingdom, in line with other democracies around the world.

Sources

SciFiRory
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
aye!
Will95206
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by SciFiRory)
aye!
Hear hear, I commend the Honourable Gentleman's supportive comment!

Also an Aye for I!

Any questions about the bill please quote me in!
nixonsjellybeans
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
First stop the Treason Felony Repealment Bill.
Second stop the Palace for tea

I should really know more about these old laws just are just left to rot.
Superunknown17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It's not enforceable anyway but aye for what it's worth.
Will95206
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by nixonsjellybeans)
First stop the Treason Felony Repealment Bill.
Second stop the Palace for tea

I should really know more about these old laws just are just left to rot.
I first found this one in the independent online! The article where I found the idea for the bill is in the sources section, it's quite short and a good read!

(Original post by Superunknown17)
It's not enforceable anyway but aye for what it's worth.
of course but this bill is more of an ideological one than a pragmatic one!
PhysicsKid
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Republic here we come, I suppose.
Will95206
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by PhysicsKid)
Republic here we come, I suppose.
Well we're getting there..... Lol
Henry_Tudor
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
sounds good, its a shame I am not an MP!
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Can we make an exception for Simon Cowell?
chrisawhitmore
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Aye, why not.
Republic1
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Aye aye aye!
LETSJaM
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Aye. It is strange what quirky laws are still in place in such a 'modern' era.

<3 x
username456717
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Nay. Waste of time when this law cannot be enforced anyway.
That Bearded Man
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
So does this mean a joking "I'm gonna kill the queen" is technically punishable by life imprisonment.

Or a genuine plot to kill the queen instead of another person carries a higher sentence.

Either way, the end of this will be good. Aye!
Will95206
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by That Bearded Man)
So does this mean a joking "I'm gonna kill the queen" is technically punishable by life imprisonment.

Or a genuine plot to kill the queen instead of another person carries a higher sentence.

Either way, the end of this will be good. Aye!
Even comprehending over throwing the monarchy in your mind is punishable, (just thinking about it now, bam! Life inprisonment! A silly old law that needs to be tide yup for modern society!
Will95206
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by nebelbon)
Nay. Waste of time when this law cannot be enforced anyway.
What do you mean? The actual law in the first place (section 3) cannot be enforced, that along with other reasons, is why we the Liberal Party have decided to repeal section 3.
Blue Meltwater
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
As far as I understand it the Human Rights Act 1998 effectively overrides the Treason Felony Act, however with many Conservatives seeking to withdraw from the European Convention of Human Rights I don't know how safe the guarantees given by it will continue to be. Certainly, I believe it to be a fundamental right of any citizen to criticise their head of state and question the institution which selects individuals for the office, so this is a definite aye from me!
Clip
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm pretty sure that Treason still carried death penalty until a few years ago (late 90s). I think there was one other offence that also did - something unusual like "Arson in Her Majesty's Dockyards" or something.
Will95206
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Clip)
I'm pretty sure that Treason still carried death penalty until a few years ago (late 90s). I think there was one other offence that also did - something unusual like "Arson in Her Majesty's Dockyards" or something.
True but now it is life imprisonment.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (317)
65.77%
No (165)
34.23%

Watched Threads