mrITguy
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi CGI I was wondering if you could answer my questions regarding my career in ICT. Firstly here is a bit of background knowledge on me.

I am a student at college who is currently doing there final year on the Applied ICT course (worth two A levels) and I plan to do an apprenticeship after the course has finished (whcih will be around June/July time). I am 19 and will be 20 by the time I finish my A levels with hopefully an AA or an AB overall. I also have autism and ADD.

The areas that interest me the most is Web and Software development (leaning more towards software development though) which I plan to do an apprenticeship in.

Now here are my questions below:

1. What is the best way to sell myself to the employer that will put me at an advantage over younger students? as employers do tend to prefer younger students aged 16 to 18.

2. I have a little bit of trouble thinking logically when programming, is there any strategy's that your employees use that help them to problem solve better/quicker.

3. With me being special needs I will no dont need a bit more support than a normal person and possibly a one to one/mentor that will help me. Would this effect my chances of being accepted on the apprenticeship?

4. Is it true that a good firm handshake at an interview is very important when getting a job?

5. Can you give a general overview of what you expect from an apprentice and what sort of jobs would I roughly be doing in the first few weeks? e.g. will I slowly be eased into it or will I have to hit the ground running etc.

6. Would I be able to do a Level 2 or 3 apprenticeship even though I already have A levels?

7. What do you think are the biggest challenges in the IT industry currently?

8. What are the skill shortages from employees that the IT industry is facing?

9. Is there anything that I can do to prepare myself better for an apprenticeship? e.g. skill wise, technical skills etc.

10. Do you think I should send a speculative email for an apprenticeship even if they are currently not advertising an apprenticeship yet? or should I wait?

11. I have noticed that IT people are generally snobbish in that they do not like to admit they are wrong (even when they are) and some talk to you like you know what they are saying (very technical). Also when you have a problem with your work (e.g. code) they talk to you as if to say "why have you done that, your stupid" etc.

Is this normal in the IT industry or have I just come across the wrong people?

12. What do you think is the future for IT and its technologies? e.g. do you think cloud computing will take over? or do you think businesses will become far too automated so that only one or three people is needed to run a nation wide business? etc.

13. Are there any future technologies that you are using or will be using over the next few years?

14. What is the best way to keep myself up-to-date with the latest technologies/the IT industry? do you recommend any magazines? etc.

Thankyou VERY MUCH for your time in answering these questions as your answers will prove very valuable to me and give me a better picture of the IT industry.

The more detailed your answers the better and sorry for the very long post but I really appreciate it .
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (171)
44.19%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (43)
11.11%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (32)
8.27%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (83)
21.45%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (36)
9.3%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (22)
5.68%

Watched Threads