Do you sometimes forget to breathe? Watch

brightcitylights
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Sometimes I realise that I've been subconsciously holding my breath for a bit too long and then I have to take a deep breathe to compensate. I don't actually think I breathe as often I should. Does anyone else get this?
Silver Arrows
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I sometimes forget to blink.
Pastaferian
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by brightcitylights)
Sometimes I realise that I've been subconsciously holding my breath for a bit too long and then I have to take a deep breathe to compensate. I don't actually think I breathe as often I should. Does anyone else get this?
Yes, mainly when I'm focussing on a manual task requiring dexterity, eg, drawing, painting, etc.
dBousfield
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I do this when i'm concentrating sometimes haha I have a friend who forgot to breathe during a clarinet exam and passed out...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hal.E.Lujah
  • Study Helper
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yes! I tried explaining it to my flatmates though and they said it wasn't normal :sad:

I think it was from learning to play instruments when I was younger. Not sure why but thats the only time in my life I ever remember messing my breathing around.
SophiaKeuning
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I do, I think it's out of stress, when you get tense.
DeemzBeamz
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I can find it hard to swallow sometimes. So I feel like I'm choking...

Edit: yeah I was told it was because of high levels anxiety.
Vixen47
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It happens a lot when I'm deep in thought. I have this strange habit of pouting my lips when I'm thinking so I stop breathing through my mouth. I only realise I'm doing it when I really need to start breathing through my mouth again. :dontknow:
Stephanie_12
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Only when I think about how we breathe without thinking, then it all becomes concious and I panic.
Scorlibran
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yeah it happens to me all the time when I'm concentrating hard on something.
when she was 22
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Sometimes. Although recently I've had a blocked nose and sometimes when I'm eating I run out of breath really quickly because I can't breathe through my nose like normal. Same thing happened when I was kissing someone recently for quite a prolonged period. That was a bit awkward. Eventually I had to explain why I kept wanting him to kiss my neck every 30 seconds. I just really really needed air.
superwolf
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yep, generally when facing high winds I just automatically stop breathing. Although way more embarrassing is when I suddenly forget how to walk... :erm:
VDW
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
if we are being philosophical about it, wot is 'breathing'?
brightcitylights
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by SophiaKeuning)
I do, I think it's out of stress, when you get tense.
I think you're right.
Robbie242
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
nope
User1310602
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Oh great! Now I can't stop thinking about breathing and it feels weird. :mad:
Maid Marian
Badges: 20
Report 5 years ago
Hmm, not that I can think of. Maybe sometimes when I'm trying to get to sleep ... :hmmmm2:
aranexus
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
No, breathing is subconscious and automatic...
Plantagenet Crown
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Nope, never forgotten to breathe
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (220)
23.63%
Pop (231)
24.81%
Jazz (35)
3.76%
Classical (56)
6.02%
Hip-Hop (174)
18.69%