should humans act solely on emotion and not logic?

Watch
coalovesnami
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
what use does logic serve?
TurboCretin
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Sounds like a great idea. Let us know how it turns out.
CJKay
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
No. This isn't Saudi Arabia.
coalovesnami
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
er.. i never mentioned Saudi.

If anything UK society is as fault, as we tend to view logically-based decisions or actions as "better".

But then logic is subjective, and humans often use logic mixed with emotions to act.
FSAisVictorious
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It depends on what you mean by logic. Do you mean to be more reasonable i.e. the absence of idiocy? or consistency (2,4,6,8,10,...) in our physical behavior?

Also, can humans act in a certain way (reason vs. emotions vs. or or or) that derives from the mere will? we are all a product of experience i.e. have been influenced to think and act in certain ways, so its not certain whether to "act" in one way or other is even free will in the traditional sense to be considered worth anything special
Vian
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by coalovesnami)
But then logic is subjective.
I'm not quite sure you understand what logic is.
Le egg
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
No because otherwise I would have to blow up Tottenham,West ham, Man Utd, Fulham and Chelsea football clubs
Juichiro
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
er.. i never mentioned Saudi.

If anything UK society is as fault, as we tend to view logically-based decisions or actions as "better".

But then logic is subjective, and humans often use logic mixed with emotions to act.
Please go read about logic then come back. :rolleyes:
Alrounder79
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
what use does logic serve?
One thing's for sure, you're not being logical in what you're saying. Practice what you preach, eh?
pmc:producer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
What about all the murders and rapes? No thanks.
ConsiderScience
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
No, **** emotion. Logic should always come before emotion. Unless some smartass on TSR links me some example of where logic was a bad thing over emotion, which they won't.
SciFiRory
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Spock would be horrified at this idea
Ladyliesel
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The world would be havoc. I immediately thought of jealousy. Acting just on emotion could result in violence and obsessive behaviour. Logic puts things in perspective. Emotions lead to impulsive actions and regrets.
MRNO
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
We called build a powerful computer, then let it make all the choices for us. Based only on logic.

We could call it Skynet.

And definitely put it in full control of our nuclear missiles....

What could go possibly wrong?:rolleyes:
No Man
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If we humans acted solely on emotion, people wouldn't behave any differently to chimpanzees (me included) and we all know how unpredictable chimpanzees are.

The the 2011 England riots were a result of hordes of people acting solely on emotion. If you made their voices sound like chimp screams and made made them wear good chimp costumes, they'd be no different to chimps.
John Stuart Mill
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
No, but cold rationality isn't the best practice either.

p.s logic is not 'subjective'
DiddyDec01
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
No. Logic is what defines us as human. Rather than acting solely on emotions and instinct. Emotions can quite often get in the way of the "right" decision. There is a fine balance between logic and emotion.
Abu H&N
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
use both but use only good emotions and not things like anger
sugar-n-spice
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm sure people think they are being logical when they are being emotional-that's the problem, we are still emotional animals
ankit21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It depends solely on the question that does it creates any value on our end.
We must clear our concepts about our emotions first.
Emotions come from mind, and Mind is defined as the power of our ignorance seeking for truth. This comes to be the real logic.
We have to train our self in such a way that we are able to create value that has a true blend of mindfulness in it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (513)
33.75%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (627)
41.25%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (311)
20.46%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (69)
4.54%

Watched Threads