Saif95
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Can you guys please help me with part iii and iv of this question please?

According to examiners report these were very hard questions and hardly anyone got full marks.
Name:  c3 jan 6.png
Views: 561
Size:  18.1 KB
Mohid Khan
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
hi, which exam board is this?
Mohid Khan
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
i think this is how you do it:

(iii) put the x value of a and c into the gradient function to get the gradient and if you times the two gradients together you should get -1.
(iv) simply integrate then substitute the cordinates of a to find +C , Now just use the x coordinate of a and substitute into the intigrated equation, this will give you the area.

Hope this helps!
Phichi
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Saif95)

According to examiners report these were very hard questions and hardly anyone got full marks.

For iii). multiply the gradients of either tangent together. When multiplying the gradients of perpendicular lines, you should get -1.

iv). Integrate the original y= equation you're given, remembering the proof you're given in the question. You're finding the area between the lines CD and BE, bounded by the curve and the x axis. So integrate between the two x co-ordinates, relating to point E and D. Integrate from D to E.
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
it does not seem all that difficult ?
Pride
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I think the difficulty is that you could make lots of silly mistakes here, but it's actually quite normal in terms of difficulty (compared to other A-level papers).
Phichi
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Stick to the question, no need to share opinions on difficulty when OP didn't ask for it.
Khallil
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Saif95)

For the tangents to be perpendicular in part iii, the product of their respective gradients must equal -1.

Regarding part iv, since there isn't a standard integral for \ln x that we know of, I suggest letting u=\ln x

The formula for integration by parts is

\displaystyle \int u \ \dfrac{\text{d}v}{\text{d}x} \ \text{d}x = uv - \int v \ \dfrac{\text{d}u}{\text{d}x} \ \text{d}x

and is derived from the product rule of differentiation.

If you're interested
\displaystyle \text{Let } u \text{ and } v \text{ be functions of } x \\ \\ \therefore \dfrac{\text{d}}{\text{d}x} \ uv = u \ \dfrac{\text{d}v}{\text{d}x} + v \ \dfrac{\text{d}u}{\text{d}x} \\ \\ \implies \int \dfrac{\text{d}}{\text{d}x} uv \ \text{d}x = \int \left( u \ \dfrac{\text{d}v}{\text{d}x} + v \ \dfrac{\text{d}u}{\text{d}x} \right) \ \text{d}x \\ \\ \implies uv = \int u \ \dfrac{\text{d}v}{\text{d}x} \ \text{d}x + \int v \ \dfrac{\text{d}u}{\text{d}x} \ \text{d}x \\ \\ \implies \int u \ \dfrac{\text{d}v}{\text{d}x} \ \text{d}x = uv - \int v \ \dfrac{\text{d}u}{\text{d}x} \ \text{d}x
Davelittle
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It's not that hard, think about what you've done in class and the advice given here and have a shot at it
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    The Bar Series: Applications and Interviews - London Bloomsbury campus Postgraduate
    Thu, 17 Oct '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (8)
6.84%
They might tell the bully (16)
13.68%
I don't think they'd understand (19)
16.24%
It might lead to more bullying (41)
35.04%
There's nothing they could do (33)
28.21%

Watched Threads