JosephineE
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi guys, I'm really confused here! Just had an email through to attend an interview which I'm excited about but still worried as I haven't yet sat my qts tests which are booked for next year. On the email though they said there will be a maths and English test, how comes ? Is this different to the qts ? Or a way of seeing if you would pass the skills tests ?

Help
bellylaugh
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by JosephineE)
Hi guys, I'm really confused here! Just had an email through to attend an interview which I'm excited about but still worried as I haven't yet sat my qts tests which are booked for next year. On the email though they said there will be a maths and English test, how comes ? Is this different to the qts ? Or a way of seeing if you would pass the skills tests ?

Help
A lot of universities will set you their own maths/literacy tests in addition to the QTS tests. In my interview, we had a 20 min maths & literacy test but it was pretty simple. I think they were Year 6 SATs papers actually so a lot easier than the QTS tests. Some universities may also ask you to write a piece of continuous prose in order to test your spelling/grammar/punctuation. If you're not great at maths, I'd perhaps do a few SATS papers as revision. Good luck!
JosephineE
Rep:
?
Oh no i'm so worried ! I've been trying to prepare for maths but its my weak spot even though i got a B at gcse ! Cannot get my head round it! Do you known if you fail their tests but pass qts ones you can still get on?
bellylaugh
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I assume your interview isn't until the next year now, so it gives you a couple of weeks to practise. Just stick with the revision you're doing for your skills test, as it was very similar questions to that (although without the 18 second time limit which is good). Make sure you know percentages/fractions/decimals etc as they seem to come up time and time again.

With literacy, I had to know things like:
- Common noun/Abstract Noun/Collective Noun/Proper Noun
- Prefixes and Suffixes
- Verbs/Adverbs/Adjectives/Nouns
- Passive and active voice
- Personal and impersonal form
- Contractions
- Synonym and antonyms
- Dependent/subordinate clause

If you look on BBC Bite Size for KS2 literacy, you'll find all of these things so don't panic.

I'm not sure these tests have a pass/fail mark, but I guess if you do really badly then they might question your ability, even if you have passed the QTS tests. BUt overall, I'd say that these are just one element of the recruitment procedure, so I'm sure they'll take into account how you do at the rest of the interview. If you're applying for a really competitive course though, it may be an easy way for them to rule out a lot of people, if they don't perform well on these tests?

Honestly, try not to worry. If you can pass the skills tests then there is nothing to worry about!
Shelly_x
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by JosephineE)
Oh no i'm so worried ! I've been trying to prepare for maths but its my weak spot even though i got a B at gcse ! Cannot get my head round it! Do you known if you fail their tests but pass qts ones you can still get on?
No, you can't. You need to pass their tests too. Many interviews have these tests at the start and only those who pass get to go through to the next stage.
Interrobang
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
These tests are probably at least in part a remnant of when the QTS tests were taken during the PGCE year
JosephineE
Rep:
?
Thanks for your answers guys! I have three interviews next year with all of them requiring extra maths and English test. Even though one of the interviews is in wales where they don't so skills tests. I've signed up for numeracy ready that I've heard is quick good, so best start working on it !
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think non-essential uni exams should be cancelled?

Yes, they should be cancelled altogether (216)
52.17%
No, they should still go ahead (58)
14.01%
They should be cancelled for everyone but final year (140)
33.82%

Watched Threads