The Student Room Group

Rejection from LSE

***I'm about to shamelessly look for sympathy/pity/encouragement from you guys and I apologise in advance for how cloying and melodramatic this is.***

But having got 3 offers from (Bristol, Manchester and Sussex) when I saw the 'UCAS status change" email today I was excited, as only the 2 London unis I applied to were left (LSE and KCL). Admittedly I'm really happy with all my choices and will have to spend time on visit days etc before I decide which is right for me, but atm London and Manchester float my boat.

Seeing that LSE "were no longer considering my application for Int Relations" is a downer as of the 5 I've applied to, as good as they all are, I think it's easy to say that LSE are the stand-out uni, am I right?

I understand LSE is competitive af but it is pretty **** to think that I don't have the opportunity to go there. Oh well.

***Sorry for rambling without any real direction.***

EDIT: Just found out my rejection was down to my PS being "not as sufficiently compelling as other applicants" despite being "well-qualified". Disappointing as I felt my PS was strong but fair ****s to them for replying promptly to my query. Thanks y'all for your kind words and I'm gonna use this rejection as motivation for my studies :biggrin: !
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Around 80% of those who apply will be rejected. I know it is very difficult but sometimes there is nothing we can di about it because they have limited places. Ive heard Kings is amazing for IR and i am sure you'll be very happy there and the social life is much better in there. At the end of the day, t isn't that much about which uni you've been to as much as it is about what grade you achieved there.
I am also awaiting a rejection from Oxford and I am sort practising ways to cope with it once it comes from now.
Reply 2
Original post by arminb
Around 80% of those who apply will be rejected. I know it is very difficult but sometimes there is nothing we can di about it because they have limited places. Ive heard Kings is amazing for IR and i am sure you'll be very happy there and the social life is much better in there. At the end of the day, t isn't that much about which uni you've been to as much as it is about what grade you achieved there.
I am also awaiting a rejection from Oxford and I am sort practising ways to cope with it once it comes from now.

I applied for International Politics acc at Kings but I'm guessing their department is the same/similar to IR lol.

Yeah I appreciate that sentiment that it's all about what you get at uni.

Reg. social life I'm not too sure how good my unis are for that so I'm fairly clueless! I think all are fairly comparable with perhaps Manny the standout.

Good luck on Oxford but if you're applying there I'm sure whatever uni you'll end up in will be very good!
Reply 3
Hey, cheer up! You have offers from other great universities as well and you haven't heard back from KCL (hopefully an offer comes your way :smile:) Just like you, I was quite upset when LSE rejected me and it was based on the fact that my PS wasn't good enough. :rolleyes: I remember it ruined my Friday night (they should refrain from sending rejections on Fridays lol) Anyways, don't let that bring you down and hey it's THEIR loss. (:
Reply 4
Original post by GrandMasterChe
I applied for International Politics acc at Kings but I'm guessing their department is the same/similar to IR lol.

Yeah I appreciate that sentiment that it's all about what you get at uni.

Reg. social life I'm not too sure how good my unis are for that so I'm fairly clueless! I think all are fairly comparable with perhaps Manny the standout.

Good luck on Oxford but if you're applying there I'm sure whatever uni you'll end up in will be very good!

LSE is notorious in terms of social life. I think I will go to LSE if Oxford rejects me but I don't really want to because Oxford education is WAY more serious than LSE. ANd LSE does not provide very good support and individual attention with studies compared to Oxford or even Kings.
I wish you luck with KCL. Seriously, you'll love it there.
Reply 5
Original post by arminb
LSE is notorious in terms of social life. I think I will go to LSE if Oxford rejects me but I don't really want to because Oxford education is WAY more serious than LSE. ANd LSE does not provide very good support and individual attention with studies compared to Oxford or even Kings.
I wish you luck with KCL. Seriously, you'll love it there.

Cool I'll definitely have to check out KCL should I get an offer (only looked at course content and strength of department + fact it's in London one of the coolest cities in the world when applying lol)

Yeah I've heard of a lot about LSE's social life or lack thereof, same with Imperial's, but the fact it is in London means you'll be meeting people from all the other unis and stuff so that sort of compensates for that doesnt it?
Reply 6
Cool I'll definitely have to check out KCL should I get an offer (only looked at course content and strength of department + fact it's in London one of the coolest cities in the world when applying lol)

Yeah I've heard of a lot about LSE's social life or lack thereof, same with Imperial's, but the fact it is in London means you'll be meeting people from all the other unis and stuff so that sort of compensates for that doesnt it?

I dont know about that very well, I haven't been there personally. I live in London. To be honest, the social life here is amazing but also very expensive. I can only afford to go out once a week.
Besides some unis provide meetings and social activities and apparently LSE does't pay much attention to that.
Reply 7
dw man It happened to me last year right after my c3 exam in jan that I failed, it's down there with one of the worst days of my life tbh.

It gets better
Reply 8
Original post by arminb
I dont know about that very well, I haven't been there personally. I live in London. To be honest, the social life here is amazing but also very expensive. I can only afford to go out once a week.
Besides some unis provide meetings and social activities and apparently LSE does't pay much attention to that.

I live in Harrow so I don't really feel like much of a Londoner (**** suburbia), so I don't know too much about the social life except from hearing that's "there's always something going on", "you can never get bored" and the whole inter-uni social life which appears to exist.
Reply 9
I live in Harrow so I don't really feel like much of a Londoner (**** suburbia), so I don't know too much about the social life except from hearing that's "there's always something going on", "you can never get bored" and the whole inter-uni social life which appears to exist.

Just dont get your hopes too high. But who knows maybe youll have a completely different experience than I had. When I was living in Brighton(and I am not gay) I think it was much more fun compared to here but everyone is different.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending