The Student Room Group

I can't find any good Sixth Form Colleges that do that coursers I want near me

Basically I've been looking for ages and I have posted before but thought I'd start a new thread since the other one didn't give me much response.

I want to study the following: Computing, Maths or Media studies (I don't know which to chose, long story, don't ask), History and Physics. I've been doing a lot of searching and the only two Sixth Forms that do all of my choices are Preston Manor (which is where I currently go) and Nower Hill. I haven't been able to go to Nower Hill's open evening so I don't really have much details on what each course entails.

All the good Sixth Forms I've searched for have been at least 1 hour away by bus, which is basically my only means of transportation (aside from walking obviously). I won't be able to afford going by train everyday.

Does anyone know of any good Sixth Forms that are near me, I don't want to give my actual address but I live in North Wembley. This is really stressing me out and I really don't know what to do, my Christmas break just started but I don't think it's going to be much of a break right now...
Reply 1
Go to the sixth form you're going to, if you have managed getting there for so long without any problems I'm sure its acceptable to continue. Also, choose Maths over Media. Media is considered an almost laughable A-Level by universities.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by staticas
Go to the sixth form you're going to, if you have managed getting there for so long without any problems I'm sure its acceptable to continue. Also, choose Maths over Media. Media is considered an almost laughable A-Level by universities.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I hate it when people say Media is a laughable A-Level, it totally depends on your own interests. I am currently studying Media at A-Level and I got offers from all my university choices. It is not just sitting and watching films like many people think, we do lots of in-depth research and raise interesting debates in one of the most prominent industries of the 21st century.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Nadindins
I hate it when people say Media is a laughable A-Level, it totally depends on your own interests. I am currently studying Media at A-Level and I got offers from all my university choices. It is not just sitting and watching films like many people think, we do lots of in-depth research and raise interesting debates in one of the most prominent industries of the 21st century.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I imagine you want to do something in that field though. By the first post I assumed sciences would be more helpful.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
I imagine you want to do something in that field though. By the first post I assumed sciences would be more helpful.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's why I said it depends on your own interests but I think it's a bit far to say it's laughable to universities.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5

Posted from TSR Mobile

The only reason I am considering other schools is that I'm not 100% sure my school is going to do Computing A-Level which worries me the most. Also the facilities for Computing based subjects aren't the best and I would prefer to go to a College rather than a secondary school.

I just want to have a few options to chose from
Reply 6

Posted from TSR Mobile

I find media interesting, the only reason I would consider it is because I'm not doing very well in Maths by that I mean all my confidence in my ability has gone and I don't think I will get it back in time for the exams. Considering that I was meant to have a maths GCSE exam in November but it got changed into a mock (thank goodness), I only got a C in that. Media is my backup subject it Maths doesn't go well.

Also Maths vs Further Maths? What's the difference and which is good enough to do Computing at uni?
Original post by RawringDino
I find media interesting, the only reason I would consider it is because I'm not doing very well in Maths by that I mean all my confidence in my ability has gone and I don't think I will get it back in time for the exams. Considering that I was meant to have a maths GCSE exam in November but it got changed into a mock (thank goodness), I only got a C in that. Media is my backup subject it Maths doesn't go well.

Also Maths vs Further Maths? What's the difference and which is good enough to do Computing at uni?

Maths and Further Maths aren't exactly two separate subjects but they are treated like that (qualification wise). You also have to take one to do the other. Maths is 6 modules over the two years of A levels and Further maths is a further 6 maths modules over the two years.
In maths you usually do Core 1, Core 2 and an applied module (usually stats 1 or mechanics 1). The following year you do Core 3 and 4 and another applied module. Further maths is similar except you only have to do FP1 and FP2 over the two years and the other 4 modules are decided by the sixth form.

Usually you wouldn't take further maths unless you had a very strong interest in maths. What Further maths shows is an extra level of ability in maths which aren't shown by the maths A level alone. So for example a university might not be able to decide between 2 applicants both with an A in maths, they are more likely to go with the applicant with a further maths qualification as well (although it would depend on the course). If you want to do computing at university (or computer science) most universities look for maths before computing because it demonstrates a way of thinking, although computing would also help. Only top universities (like Oxford and Cambridge) would probably ask for Further maths and I think even they only list it as 'preferred' and not 'essential'.
Reply 8
Original post by k4l397
Maths and Further Maths aren't exactly two separate subjects but they are treated like that (qualification wise). You also have to take one to do the other. Maths is 6 modules over the two years of A levels and Further maths is a further 6 maths modules over the two years.
In maths you usually do Core 1, Core 2 and an applied module (usually stats 1 or mechanics 1). The following year you do Core 3 and 4 and another applied module. Further maths is similar except you only have to do FP1 and FP2 over the two years and the other 4 modules are decided by the sixth form.

Usually you wouldn't take further maths unless you had a very strong interest in maths. What Further maths shows is an extra level of ability in maths which aren't shown by the maths A level alone. So for example a university might not be able to decide between 2 applicants both with an A in maths, they are more likely to go with the applicant with a further maths qualification as well (although it would depend on the course). If you want to do computing at university (or computer science) most universities look for maths before computing because it demonstrates a way of thinking, although computing would also help. Only top universities (like Oxford and Cambridge) would probably ask for Further maths and I think even they only list it as 'preferred' and not 'essential'.

Okay that's good. So Maths A-Level should be alright.

So what would happen if they had me apply with Maths and Computing then someone else with only Further Maths applied? How would that be judged?

---

Back on topic, I'm still having trouble finding any decent places. Is there a search tool I can use or something? Google isn't giving me decent enough results. Places are too far etc.
Okay that's good. So Maths A-Level should be alright.

So what would happen if they had me apply with Maths and Computing then someone else with only Further Maths applied? How would that be judged?

A lot of things like that depends on the University. The university of Birmingham seems more relaxed about maths and they have one of the top computer science departments in the UK so it often depends.

Back on topic, I'm still having trouble finding any decent places. Is there a search tool I can use or something? Google isn't giving me decent enough results. Places are too far etc.

https://www.ucasprogress.com/ You might have already been given this site since it's what is used to apply now for most places but this has most courses and colleges.
Basically I've been looking for ages and I have posted before but thought I'd start a new thread since the other one didn't give me much response.

I want to study the following: Computing, Maths or Media studies (I don't know which to chose, long story, don't ask), History and Physics. I've been doing a lot of searching and the only two Sixth Forms that do all of my choices are Preston Manor (which is where I currently go) and Nower Hill. I haven't been able to go to Nower Hill's open evening so I don't really have much details on what each course entails.

All the good Sixth Forms I've searched for have been at least 1 hour away by bus, which is basically my only means of transportation (aside from walking obviously). I won't be able to afford going by train everyday.

Does anyone know of any good Sixth Forms that are near me, I don't want to give my actual address but I live in North Wembley. This is really stressing me out and I really don't know what to do, my Christmas break just started but I don't think it's going to be much of a break right now...

Firstly a quick google led me to this page:
A quick google has led me to the course details of Nower Hill's A-Levels:
http://www.nowerhill.org.uk/curriculum-page/2049.html

Has all the details of the Nower Hill A-Level courses. I went there for a subject whilst at another Harrow 6th form and was pretty impressed with the school (certainly it was better than the one I went to).

Other than that I'm not really sure of anywhere else nearby. I used to live in Wembley and moved to Harrow and was disappointed by the number of decent sixth forms. I applied to Watford Grammar, St Doms (deadline was November 2013 if your in year 13 atm) Woodhouse College (still kinda far from Wembley even on the Tube)

If your household income is so low you can't afford to get on the tube/overground then have you seen if your eligible for bursaries at the 6th forms? There are still some available.

Quick Reply

Latest