Grading problems ----> 'probably' --> Grade change? --> how likely?

Watch
russian_vodka
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Last edited by russian_vodka; 5 months ago
rawkingpunkster
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Ok i dont know much, but if everyone is making noise then I'm sure there must be a problem.
I mean lets say you have been consistently getting a 6, you get predicted a 6, and hell in the exam you do the same old thing as ever.. you should be getting at least a 6. So if you feel injustice has been done then submit for remarking
andy_cole2
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
the fact that u could pick out the subjects so well says somethign in itsself. the IB must have pissed up somewhere especially with maths and english; we already konw the main problem wtih chem and lets face it that was their fault
CrouchingMooseHiddenLlama
Report 14 years ago
chem was gay...grade bounderies totally ****ed up by people who got their papers returned to them etc. o well. math seems fair to me...the only 'problem' with english seems to be the 6/7 boundery. Im not complaining, got a 6, cuz im fine with that, but others need that extra point. I dont think remark in english will get you a 7 from a 6, and math is streight forward, either you got the answer/method marks or you didnt. Chem cant do anything.
jadedIB
Report 14 years ago
i have problems with Physics HL grades, got 4, and I expected a 6, or at least a 5. I think IBO lowered our internal assessment grades since our teacher really didnt care much and gave high grades. now its the bitter reality. :eek:
*Mike*
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
IBO Examiners suck
russian_vodka
Rep:
?
andy_cole2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
yeah erm they need to sort this **** out its a joke. i mean how stupid is it that my whole style of essay writing will be shaped around the teacher who has taught me english yet someone else will mark my paper that hates this style lol they need to do some hardcore uniformation.
-x- Lici -x-
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Chemistry here is what happened:

1. IBO Exam Board said no periodic tables to be given out with the exam they normally are

2. Most schools did as they were told by the exam board, as mean to, and did not hand them out (our school). But the other two responses were,
a) defied the order of the exam board and gave out periodic tables
b) defied the order and gave out textbooks!!!! with the periodic table in, so obviously those individuals could cheat.

Hence the problem, some schools did it, some didnt. None should have as the board said no - although they were wrong.
andy_cole2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
what?! who got a textbook :P:
aluakz
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
wait wait wait... several things. why do you say that english was ****ed up? agree with chemistry (periodic table) and maths (HL paper 3), but the rest... if you were expecting something and did not get it, that doesn't necessarily mean that you need to blame someone and talk crap about the IB. there are people working there and not computers. people get things wrong from time to time, or misunderstand, or are unfair. that's what regrading is for... and what if you just set your expectations too high? and your teacher was incorrect when predicting your grade for one reason or another? who is then to blame? IB? for not giving you what you wanted?

people, i'm not telling you that you're wrong. i'm just saying that you should stop blaming someone or something else and understand how hard it is to coordinate the whole system. don't get the impression that i talk like this only because i got lucky and my grades are fine. i also got an unpleasant surprise, but i don't blame the IB for a C in chemistry extended essay, though i get 7's only in that subject. i might have missed something. i might have missunderstood what ib wanted from me. the examiner might have been in a bad mood (but hey, he is human... and i just got unlucky) and that's why i'll probably get it regraded. there are tons of reason apart from IB's fault. they are not perfect, or you didn't find that out yet during the two years?

ps: i wouldn't believe that students got textbooks. that just looks that someone is overblowing something. some did get periodic tables or in worst cases data booklets, but not textbooks. that's just plain ridiculous.
chevman
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
nice one from aluakz,nice one...we should try not 2 exagerrate issues and live up to reality
andy_cole2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
erm wat was so specifically wrong with paper 3 on the maths? no but 2b fair there are some strange things surrounding englihs, some person on here got an A for EE and a 4/5 (cantrem) for their IB grade in english HL u dnt just get stupid overnight...
aluakz
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by andy_cole2)
erm wat was so specifically wrong with paper 3 on the maths? no but 2b fair there are some strange things surrounding englihs, some person on here got an A for EE and a 4/5 (cantrem) for their IB grade in english HL u dnt just get stupid overnight...
math paper 3? the difficulty of the exam for people taking different options was far from equal. statistics was way too easy and series and differentiation was way too hard (and this is coming not just from me, but from my maths teacher and other teachers - she showed me the comments they send on IB teacher forums)

as i understood you are saying that you got an A for EE in english, and 4/5 in the exam? well, i got a 7 in the chemistry exam and a C in EE in chemistry. similar situation, isn't it? but did you take into concern that EE and the exam grade different aspects of the same subjects? examiner knows that in the exam you have time limit and pays more attention to other things. in EE they take a different approach when grading.

of course there is (or should be) some correlation between the exam grade and EE in the same subject. but it's not 1 to 1. if you get 3s and 4s in the subject throughout the course then you wouldn't probably get an A in EE. but if you talk about 4/5 in the exam only, then it might have just mean that you got unlucky or overly stressed (or something else) during those 3-4 hours of the exam. so... is IB to blame there?
russian_vodka
Rep:
?
HMSChocolate
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
my whole class didn't get what we expected in english either but i think the hassle of a remark is too much. you have to pay them loads of money to get the papers remarked anyway and often it doesnt does that much for your grade. just accept it. i think it must take more than 10 min to grade a paper, pluse reading and everything. it's really not that worth the time and money to try to get your grade changed anyway.
The legend
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by russian_vodka)
aluakz...dude, take it eazy man.... i understand ur point....and of course its never only 'one' side which is to blame in a situation....we are to blame for not putting that extra ounce of power, yet the examiners are also to blame for not carrying their work out as should be....yes i know, "they are humans" e.t.c. -----> but there is a minimum standard i personally expect them to all have... u know, the classical example with forgetting the periodic table ---> well they are humans, ok, but thousands of students are not making it into their university b/c they missed their offer by 1 point due to the whole issue with chemistry ---> since they actually spent so much time on the periodic questions.... that was once too much from the IB...and there are many other examples where the IB are to blame.... my teacher knows many examiners, and he tells me that for english they grade about 1 essay in 10 minutes ---> which is extremely quick ---> only to get more scripts and hence acquire more money ---> well, if you work in such a fast pace you are bound to confront such problems (i.e. english) with innacuracy....maybe the examiners should be a little less greedy for money and actually sit and extra 5 minutes and grade the work thoroughly....these extra 5 minutes will probably make the decisive difference which will get us into our 1st choice... our futures are priceless...

i kinda agree with you....cuz i kno my frens hu were like the dons in chemistry nd jst cuz of 1 or 2 points cudn meet their conditions...and now they r strugglin with places.....alaukz...i think u r too self concernd...u r forgettin these issues where jst 1 point!!! is now decidin their future....whether to go into future studies or jst stop it ....jst becuz u got wot u wanted dusn mean dat everybody is happy with wot they got.....personally i don ****ing care wot i get (cuz my results r still pendin)...cuz i have an unconditional offer in US....bt i can feel wot sm of my frens are goin through jst becuz of sm1's greed for money or nething....cuz its hard for me to believe a person hu is predicted 6/7 endin with a 4.
aluakz
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by The legend)
i kinda agree with you....cuz i kno my frens hu were like the dons in chemistry nd jst cuz of 1 or 2 points cudn meet their conditions...and now they r strugglin with places.....alaukz...i think u r too self concernd...u r forgettin these issues where jst 1 point!!! is now decidin their future....whether to go into future studies or jst stop it ....jst becuz u got wot u wanted dusn mean dat everybody is happy with wot they got.....personally i don ****ing care wot i get (cuz my results r still pendin)...cuz i have an unconditional offer in US....bt i can feel wot sm of my frens are goin through jst becuz of sm1's greed for money or nething....cuz its hard for me to believe a person hu is predicted 6/7 endin with a 4.
once again. the reason i am asking people to stop whining is not because i am happy with everything i got. i am in similar situation as everyone here. i just ask you people to take a serious approach to that and stop blaming everyone else like cry babies. i am not saying that IB is perfect. i am not saying that examiners are right. i am just saying that those are our grades and we are also responsible for what we got, be it a 4 or a 7. you're not satisfied with the grade? ask it to be re-graded. if you're right, you get your money back, you get that 1 point you need, and you get into your first choice. problem solved?
afoneleri
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by aluakz)
once again. the reason i am asking people to stop whining is not because i am happy with everything i got. i am in similar situation as everyone here. i just ask you people to take a serious approach to that and stop blaming everyone else like cry babies. i am not saying that IB is perfect. i am not saying that examiners are right. i am just saying that those are our grades and we are also responsible for what we got, be it a 4 or a 7. you're not satisfied with the grade? ask it to be re-graded. if you're right, you get your money back, you get that 1 point you need, and you get into your first choice. problem solved?
A point about the English grades, which you keep repeating are [B]our[B] 'fault' (can't think of a better word); Last year, one of the other campuses of my school recieved very low results overall for English - no 7s whatsoever, very few 6s etc. They had the entire lot regraded. The entire lot were upgraded. Are you honestly going to say that there wasn't a problem with the examiners?

The IB is a particularly difficult set of exams to moderate, because it's so spread out. And the examiners aren't trained to mark IB exam papers. They're given guidelines and markschemes and such, but no actual training, so how they interpret things is up to questioning. In subjects where things are more factual (maths, the sciences etc.) this isn't so much of a problem, but in subjects like English...
andy_cole2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
erm and it wasnt about me it was someone else that posted lol. but anyway i think if it alters ur uni applications then it is most iportant to regrade. say u don get ur offer and u say its being remarked do the unis wait around for that?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (66)
14.54%
I'm not sure (16)
3.52%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (153)
33.7%
I have already dropped out (8)
1.76%
I'm not a current university student (211)
46.48%

Watched Threads