The Student Room Group

A Level Eng Lit.

So basically, I'm planning to do English Literature in Year 12, but the thing is I'm worried I'm going to struggle because I wouldn't have done English Lit in a year; I did Eng Lit in Year 10 and got an A overall.

I recently looked at an old English Lit question and I had no idea how to answer it and all the poetic techniques etc all went out of my head. I was absolutely clueless.

In Year 11 we're just basically doing just Eng Language, and there's a piece of controlled assessment that was on OM&M, but we did that CA in Year 10 too so I won't even get a little recap of it.
Reply 1
I have the exact same problem, but because I am resitting English Lit for an A* (got an A), I'll be going back on techniques and exam prep in class to prepare for it. My real worry is that because I won't have done it in so long I'll do worse in the resit and come out with a B or a C..

Posted from TSR Mobile
A year is a long time, but when you consider that students in year 12 will have had 3-4 months without doing any work for any of the subjects that they're continuing, it doesn't seem that much longer.

When you start year 12, you'll have eight months to learn it all again until your exams. I doubt your school would make you do Lit in year 10 if doing so had a negative effect on performance at A-Level.

My advice would be to go for it if that's what you want to do. It's important to do subjects that you enjoy, and besides, you evidently have an aptitude for it. Well done for getting your A :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by staticas
I have the exact same problem, but because I am resitting English Lit for an A* (got an A), I'll be going back on techniques and exam prep in class to prepare for it. My real worry is that because I won't have done it in so long I'll do worse in the resit and come out with a B or a C..

Posted from TSR Mobile

Really? Wow, I don't think I could take on that extra workload but you seem to be dedicated. May I ask why you're not satisfied with the A?
Reply 4
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
A year is a long time, but when you consider that students in year 12 will have had 3-4 months without doing any work for any of the subjects that they're continuing, it doesn't seem that much longer.

When you start year 12, you'll have eight months to learn it all again until your exams. I doubt your school would make you do Lit in year 10 if doing so had a negative effect on performance at A-Level.

My advice would be to go for it if that's what you want to do. It's important to do subjects that you enjoy, and besides, you evidently have an aptitude for it. Well done for getting your A :smile:

Thanks, I think English Lit is one of the subjects I actually enjoyed, and I've decided I definitely will take it :biggrin:
I wouldn't worry too much as A level English Literature is quite different to GCSE. I'm with the same exam board as I was at GCSE and I didn't find AS Literature similar at all, nor do I find A2 similar. I didn't struggle at all even though I couldn't remember much, even after only a few months! The exam will probably be very different too, at AS, when looking at poems, we had to talk more about its narrative rather than the techniques used. I think you'd be absolutely fine. Perhaps brush up on a few things if you think it'd help, but you'll most likely receive direction from your teachers anyway; you're not expected to remember everything :smile: it's a great subject and I'd really recommend it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by chuckster111
Really? Wow, I don't think I could take on that extra workload but you seem to be dedicated. May I ask why you're not satisfied with the A?

I want some A*'s on my uni applications, and English is the only thing I'm naturally good at, so kind of the only opportunity to get 2 A*'s.
Reply 7
Original post by staticas
I want some A*'s on my uni applications, and English is the only thing I'm naturally good at, so kind of the only opportunity to get 2 A*'s.

Oooh, I see - good thing you're planning early and good luck! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending