Turn on thread page Beta

The Manchester United Society watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Manutd.com, so not even a dubous one. It's one of the news stories in the little box thing on the main page (not the splash page)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BexTait)
    Mansion were the ones that we nearly had. Hadn't heard of them till then, they're now Spurs new shirt sponsors IIRC.

At least we've not got the AIG on the seats.

Ronaldo VII, where are you sat for the Preston game then?
    Bill Shankly Kop (away end), block Q, row 16, seat 157/158 :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr power)
    btw ndgaarondi what is the colour of ur gem? lol
    Black.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by #2(Laika))
    you guys still going after that Adu kid....
    Nope.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by darth_vader05)
    My sisters who've only watched the movies hehe, shame they didnt include him in the movies!
    Tell them that Sauron used to be a good guy (as Annatar).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ronaldo VII)
    I'm with the away fans too (given that United are the away team), but block n. Looking forward to it tho. Should be a strong team fielded with the WC players being back.

Likewise I suspect it'll be a strong team fielded tomorrow.

Preston's ticket office is so much more organised and easier to get through to than ours. Took me about 3 minutes total to get through and have the tickets ordered, and they arrived the next day! In contrast, I then tried getting thru to OT to find out what was happening with my ST, and still hadn't got to a proper human in 5 mins!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ronaldo VII)

ReputationRep:
    is football being killed???

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/foot...ea/5210082.stm

Quote:

Crespo owns a house in Italy and says returning there is more important than money - adding that he has turned down incentives presented by billionaire Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich.

"He offered me a house, a private jet and more money, but money and success doesn't come into it," Crespo said.

Ridiculous and rather sad, all this money being splashed around, like a toything for Abromavich, which Chelsea effectively are. Theres little soul to a team like chelsea, whose squad change more often than the seasons, where players display no loyalty and so on...how many times now has crespo said he wants to return to italy or wherever it is??? Chelseas way of winning the league title and small other things, makes it rather meaningless, and empty...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by calderstonesLFC)
    Thought that'd attract some 'pool fans :p:

Preston have had a decent share of top players, would've liked to have seen them promoted this time. Hopefully this season, after they've come close quite a bit recently.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by white_haired_wizard)
    is football being killed???

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/foot...ea/5210082.stm

Quote:

Crespo owns a house in Italy and says returning there is more important than money - adding that he has turned down incentives presented by billionaire Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich.

"He offered me a house, a private jet and more money, but money and success doesn't come into it," Crespo said.

Ridiculous and rather sad, all this money being splashed around, like a toything for Abromavich, which Chelsea effectively are. Theres little soul to a team like chelsea, whose squad change more often than the seasons, where players display no loyalty and so on...how many times now has crespo said he wants to return to italy or wherever it is??? Chelseas way of winning the league title and small other things, makes it rather meaningless, and empty...
    There is going to be a large turn-around of players at Chelsea, something I've said right since the takeover and player buying, which I kind of expected to perhaps mean that the team doesn't really play well together, or gel as a team. The latter hasn't happened particulary tho, but that could be to do with there being a core of players, like Lampard and Terry, that have been there for a bit, and are Chelsea, so will perhaps help the others. Might be different if some of that core disappeared tho...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BexTait)
    There is going to be a large turn-around of players at Chelsea, something I've said right since the takeover and player buying, which I kind of expected to perhaps mean that the team doesn't really play well together, or gel as a team. The latter hasn't happened particulary tho, but that could be to do with there being a core of players, like Lampard and Terry, that have been there for a bit, and are Chelsea, so will perhaps help the others. Might be different if some of that core disappeared tho...
    i struggle to see chelsea winning the european title, seriously struggle to see it. On the basis of european competition, i believe arsenal, liverpool and man united have nearly as good, if not equal, chance of achieving similar things, i.e look at arsenal last year, and liverpool as unexpected winners the year prior...

how can one support a football team, when there is such a turnover and little time to acquire a rapport with players, when before you know it, theyre either farmed off on loan or have moved back to a former club or another league in europe....

edit: i must go, im so utterly drained after travelling all day today, and i need some grub.

Punishments cut for Italian clubs

The Italian clubs implicated in a match-fixing scandal have had their punishments slashed on appeal.

Lazio and Fiorentina have been reinstated to Serie A - but with points deductions increased from 12 to 19 for Fiorentina and seven to 11 for Lazio.

Juventus' hopes of overturning demotion to Serie B were dashed, but instead of starting on minus 30 points, they have only had 17 points taken away.

AC Milan stay in Serie A with their penalty cut from 15 points to eight.

Milan have also been allowed to play in the Champions League qualifying rounds this season - having originally been barred from Europe.

But the Italian Football Federation (FIGC) sports court upheld the decision to strip Juventus of their last two Serie A titles.

The court also confirmed the five-year bans for former Juventus executives Luciano Moggi and Antonio Giraudo - the figures at the centre of the scandal.

In addition, Juventus and Fiorentina were told they must play their first three home games of the 2006-07 campaigns at neutral grounds. Lazio were given a two-match stadium ban and Milan one match.

The original punishments were handed out to the disgraced clubs by a Rome tribunal just five days after Italy won the World Cup.

All four clubs implicated denied the accusations.

Their appeals were held by the FIGC sports court in a Rome hotel on Tuesday, and fans of local club Lazio gathered in their hundreds outside to cheer the decision to promote the team back to Serie A.

Juventus are now the only one of the four implicated clubs to be demoetd to Serie B, and the Turin club immediately said on Tuesday evening they would now appeal again - possibly through a civil court if necessary.

Juve's club lawyer Cesare Zaccone told Italian news agency Ansa the appeal court's decision was "incredible."

And club chairman Giovanni Cobolli Gigli said in a statement: "We absolutely cannot accept this sentence. For this reason we have decided to push our case in every possible forum."

The scandal was uncovered as a result of a criminal investigation which was launched before the start of the 2004-05 season by the Naples prosecutors' office.

Telephone conversations between former Juventus general manager Luciano Moggi and an official in charge of refereeing appointments were tapped.

Uefa had extended its own deadline for national associations to submit the teams which will play European football this season - to allow Italy to sort out this saga.

Now Italy's representatives in the Champions League will be Inter Milan, Roma, Chievo and AC Milan. The Uefa Cup teams will be Palermo, Livorno and Parma.

The big losers from the appeal decisions are Lecce and Treviso.

The bottom two clubs in Serie A last season, they were reinstated to Serie A along with 18th-placed Messina after the original verdict.

But now Fiorentina and Lazio are back in Serie A, Lecce and Treviso will be relegated after all. Messina stay up, taking Juventus' place in the top-flight, although they will now fear the Turin club's next appeal.

ReputationRep:
    im pretty pissed off that juve arent just darn grateful for having their points slashing reduced....reduced to something like 17 or 13 from 30 - thats a significant reduction, with 30 points quite easily another relegation on their hands....

If i was a player playing for any of these clubs involved, i'd want out. i'd feel utterly ashamed and foolish playing for such clubs...

ReputationRep:
    what is going on with italy thing, stupid laywers. Looking forward to the utd match tonight.
    p.s anyone seen rios hair lol

ReputationRep:
    Click me!

ReputationRep:
    haha thats a funny toy but most kids would get really bored with it.

(Original post by Mr power)
    what is going on with italy thing, stupid laywers. Looking forward to the utd match tonight.
    p.s anyone seen rios hair lol
    yeh lol....

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson insists that the club are not in a "desperate" situation despite being unable to bring any new faces to Old Trafford this summer.

The Red Devils still seem short of top-quality options in midfield and moves for various targets have stalled since the likes of Michael Ballack, Mahamadou Diarra and Michael Carrick were considered as potential signings over the past months.

Ferguson is refusing to be unsettled by the lack of incoming movement and feels the fans will feel the same way if the current squad, fortified by the return of the likes of Paul Scholes, Alan Smith and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, remain fit.

"We're working on certain things," he told Sky Sports News. "Of course, the media try and make it into a desperate situation.

"If I were to start the season with all the players I've got available, all fit, I don't think the supporters would be disappointed - neither would I."

Doubts remain that Ruud van Nistelrooy will stay at the club but the Dutchman is still a United player despite Bayern Munich and Real Madrid's attempts to snap him up.

"None at all," Ferguson replied when asked if there was a change in the situation regarding the striker. "At this moment in time, without question [he's still a United player].

"He trained well yesterday. He had a good attitude to his training, which is good, therefore he's a United player."

ReputationRep:
    Ferguson praises Van Nistelrooy

Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson has praised the attitude of unsettled striker Ruud van Nistelrooy.
    Van Nistelrooy has handed in a written transfer request after a bust-up with Ferguson, and Bayern Munich are favourites to sign the 30-year-old.

But he has returned to training and Ferguson said: "At this moment in time Ruud is still a United player.

"He did very well in training on Monday. He showed a good attitude, which is good."

United are holding out for a £15m transfer fee, with both Bayern and Real Madrid having bids turned down, leaving Van Nistelrooy to return to training at Carrington on Monday.

Ferguson, who has flown to Glasgow with a young squad for Wednesday's friendly with Celtic, insists he is not panicking over a lack of new signings.

United have yet to make a purchase this summer, with Atletico Madrid forward Fernando Torres ruling out a move to England on Tuesday.

Tottenham midfielder Michael Carrick continues to be linked with United but Ferguson is unwilling to pay the £17m Spurs are believed to want for the England midfield player.

"We are working on certain things," said Ferguson. "Of course, people are trying to make out we are in a desperate situation. That is far from the case.

"If I was to start the season with the players I have now, all fully fit, I would not be disappointed."

Sir Alex Ferguson believes Alan Smith is ahead of schedule and could even return to action for the start of the Premiership season.

The former Leeds United star has been sidelined since sustaining a terrible leg injury against Liverpool in the FA Cup last February.

However, he made a surprisingly swift return to training this week and his appetite for action is giving Ferguson food for thought.

"I think it's all to do with his own personality," explained Ferguson to Sky Sports News.

"When he got injured, he was so philosophical about it. He just accepted it, whereas other players have worried and fretted.

"Sometimes, that can delay your comeback. It's just a mental thing.

"Alan's so strong there. No-one's amazed [at the speed of his recovery]. A bit surprised, but not amazed.

"The way he trained yesterday, I wouldn't put him off being ready for the start of the season. I must say, he was terrific."

Smith is being converted back into a forward after being used in midfield last term.

The Red Devils boss also paid tribute to midfielder Paul Scholes, who has returned from the eye problem that dogged him for the back-end of last season.

"Scholes was a revelation in South Africa," said Ferguson.

"They pick the man of the match, these things, I don't know how it works and who judges it. In the three games we played, I don't think Paul gave the ball away more than once.

"His possession of the ball was fantastic with his vision and brain working all the time.

"It was great to see that."

Poll
Do you like exams?
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.