The Manchester United Society Watch

This discussion is closed.
Mr power
Badges: 0
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by forkwise)
And Carrick for 3x that isn't?
im sorry but you need to look at your own team first pal. firstly,cygan at centre half is a dream for any striker. you're left back is on his way. experinced players have gone. ljjuberg will miss the start of the season. I would be very concerned...
Mr power
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by olliemccowan)
Agreed, I think everyone knows that we've paid over the odds for Carrick. However, a lot of people said that £30 million was too much for an 18 year old Wayne Rooney but he's been worth every penny. Only time will tell if it was a good investment or not.

carrick will prove a shrewd investment
DontBuyTheSun
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Mr power)
if lfcs midfield was so 'good' why didnt you pip utd to 2nd spot hey. the signing of carrick will only make us stronger. Also pennant for 6 milion is a rip off.
Because we had a very poor start to the season.
Pennant for £6mil is probably about right, he is an excellent crosser of the ball and put in the most crosses in the league while playing for a team that hardly saw the ball in a game.
Oh, and £15-18 mil for Carrick is a steal is it? Bear in mind Alonso and Sissoko cost us 10 and 4 mil respectively.
kpg
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
im sorry but you need to look at your own team first pal. firstly,cygan at centre half is a dream for any striker. you're left back is on his way. experinced players have gone. ljjuberg will miss the start of the season. I would be very concerned...
Just because someone supports a rival team shouldn't mean they can't comment on another club. There's no point someone criticising a signing or whatever and getting "haha, your **** anyway" thrown in their face.

IMO anyway

Anyway, has this signing been reported anywhere recently? All the reports in teh last 24 hours seem to have come from Setanta's 'exclusive' yesterday morning. Seems a bit odd
DontBuyTheSun
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
weve got 5 strikers
:confused:
Saha...'Fat fowler' has a better goals to minutes played ratio than him
Rooney..
Rossi..Being sent out on loan
Ole..Played 7 games in 3 years..
Smith..Now plays cm
Mr power
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by kpg)
Just because someone supports a rival team shouldn't mean they can't comment on another club. There's no point someone criticising a signing or whatever and getting "haha, your **** anyway" thrown in their face.
IMO anyway

Anyway, has this signing been reported anywhere recently? All the reports in teh last 24 hours seem to have come from Setanta's 'exclusive' yesterday morning. Seems a bit odd
well thats what mickey thomas does most of the time if not all the time so im copying my idol:p:. the news was on bbc wasnt it?
forkwise
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Dude I was not complaining how bad your team is :rolleyes: I don't hear you saying anything about Arsenal paying over the odds though...

BTW it's Ljungberg :p:
Mr power
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by calderstonesLFC)
Rooney..
Smith..Now plays cm

fowler- slow and overweight
bellamy- ??
crouch- took him for ever to get his first goal. hes slow, lightweight

so you have 3 strikers and yet you think we need 1 but u dont|?
Mr power
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by forkwise)
Dude I was not complaining how bad your team is :rolleyes: I don't hear you saying anything about Arsenal paying over the odds though...

BTW it's Ljungberg :p:

lol i know you werent got a bit carried away sorry. well you need to pay over the odds as you need some defenders:p:
white_haired_wizard
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by olliemccowan)
Agreed, I think everyone knows that we've paid over the odds for Carrick. However, a lot of people said that £30 million was too much for an 18 year old Wayne Rooney but he's been worth every penny. Only time will tell if it was a good investment or not.
its 18 million for carrick?? what a monumental rip. We all knew and know that Rooney was world class when we bought him, he proved world class at euro 2004 before getting injured vs portugal, then joining us from everton. I didnt feel 30 million was over the odds at the time, like many people. Carrick on the other hand, 18 million :eek: I hope i`m proved wrong with Carrick, i think he`s a good player, not an excellent one and one justified by this inflated price tag....

when ruud goes for 10million ish, and carrick in for 18 million, then yikes.....
not much logic here....i`m not happy personally.
mc_watson87
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by kpg)

http://news.google.co.uk/news?hl=en&...ck&sa=N&tab=wn
username9303
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by calderstonesLFC)
Rooney..
Smith..Now plays cm
Saha scored in practically every match in the games he was played in place of van Nistelrooy. Solskjaer has only just come back from injury, but everyone knows he's class, and he was impressive on the South Africa tour. And finally Smith is being played back in his normal role as a striker now we're bringing in some midfielders, SAF said so
non-centrally acting
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
just heard about carrick and i'm not sure what to make of it :s: i guess theres no chance of a swap deal for hargreaves now
LH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Carrick's a poor man's Pirlo - he dictates play from deep but certainly is not a rugged, defensive midfielder like Gattuso.
Mr power
Report 12 years ago
Tottenham remained silent today over speculation that England midfielder Michael Carrick is set to join Manchester United for a fee in the region of £18m (€26.4m).

Spurs, who rejected a bid of £10m (€14.6m) from United earlier this summer, are reported to have accepted an increased offer for Carrick.

Carrick’s move to Old Trafford would land Spurs a handsome profit on a player they signed from West Ham for £2.75m (€4m) two years ago.

But it would be a major blow for Spurs coach Martin Jol who helped the 25-year-old force his way into Sven-Goran Eriksson’s World Cup squad for the finals in Germany this summer.

The Dutch coach had hoped that Carrick, who celebrates his 25th birthday today, would repay the club’s loyalty by staying at White Hart Lane but Spurs would not agree to the player’s wage demands – reported to be around £50,000 (€73,000)-a-week.

Carrick has two years left on his Tottenham deal but rejected a new contract offer in the wake of United’s interest.

Spurs already have a ready-made replacement for Carrick in the form of Ivory Coast midfielder Didier Zokora.

Tottenham have already signed 22-year-old Benoit Assou-Ekotto from Lens and spent £10.9m (€16m) on Bulgarian striker Dimitar Berbatov but missed out on Chelsea’s left-winger Damien Duff.
username9303
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Exactly, Spurs shouldn't be too fussed about losing Carrick because Zokora is an absolute machine in midfield.
martynwilliams
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
From the official site:

United are close to finalising a deal for Tottenham midfielder Michael Carrick, according to Sir Alex Ferguson.

Speculation in Friday's tabloids claimed that a deal to bring the 25-year-old England international to Old Trafford was set to be announced.

When asked by MUTV about the alleged move, Sir Alex replied: "We're close to that. There have been some agreements on part of it but I think it’s to be finalised over the day or so.”

The Gaffer also went on to deny rumours of a swoop for Carrick's club and international team-mate Jermain Defoe, and admitted he is less than hopeful about signing Milan midfielder Gennaro Gattuso.

“Well there has been no interest from us on the Tottenham situation," he said. "We made a move for Carrick and that’s the only thing we did, that was the only player of interest to us at this moment in time.

"I think it will stay that way. I’ve got young Rossi to consider and I want to see him progress as a centre forward. He;s more likely to be staying here now.

"With Gattuso, we were always waiting to see what happened to AC Milan and now they're in the European Cup and still in Serie A, there’s very little chance of progress as he’s such an important player for them.”

Looks like we are defiantly after a defensive midfielder by what SAF is saying about Gattuso....(i still say its Mascherano)

He also said "We are targeting several players but we want to get value, but we aren't going to be stupid and give the clubs the price they want, so we have to be patient until we agree on a fee."
username9303
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by martynwilliams)
Looks like we are defiantly after a defensive midfielder by what SAF is saying about Gattuso....(i still say its Mascherano)
I hope so, he looks like a very assured player, and is still very young.

He also said "We are targeting several players but we want to get value, but we aren't going to be stupid and give the clubs the price they want, so we have to be patient until we agree on a fee."
Well that's interesting because it means that he considers the Carrick transfer to be value for money right?
Mr power
Report 12 years ago
yer well fergie im sure knows what hes doing. hes been at the club for long enough.
forkwise
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Hmmm I just heard it might be quite a bit less than the 18m everyone's talking about
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think the internet has made political discussion more aggressive?

Yes (36)
97.3%
No (1)
2.7%

Watched Threads