Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    According to the Mail, Pepe, the defender Rooney 'fouled' and was red carded for, is Cristiano Ronaldo's cousin.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LH)
    According to the Mail, Pepe, the defender Rooney 'fouled' and was red carded for, is Cristiano Ronaldo's cousin.
    Is that why he was down for near enough 10 minutes? Cheating must run in the family:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Whats happened to Carrick? heard he got crocked and is out.

ReputationRep:
    Twisted ankle for Carrick, sounds like 2-3 weeks from reports I've heard.

Although it's only a pre season thing, the win in the Amsterdam tournament will hopefully boost confidence, although how the suspensions/injuries will affect us remains to be seen.

ReputationRep:
    Who are Man Utd sponsors? What do they do/sell?

ReputationRep:
    AIG are an insurance company (IIRC stands for American Insurance Group, something like that).

On that note, anybody know anything about the travel insurance thingy they've included with all season tickets? It says details are on the website, but I haven't been able to find them...

Edit: AIG are only shirt sponsors, they do not have their logo on the seats. The Nike tick has been relocated to the East stand, and the Stretty now says 'Stretford End'.

(Original post by Cindy)
    AIG...an American Insurance company

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spamking)
    Is that why he was down for near enough 10 minutes? Cheating must run in the family:rolleyes:
    :rofl: probably does :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BexTait)
    AIG are an insurance company (IIRC stands for American Insurance Group, something like that).
    It stands for American International Group...they sell insurance and "financial services".

United close on Senna

Manchester United are expected to tie up the move for Villarreal's Marcos Senna in the next few days.

Old Trafford boss Sir Alex Ferguson confirmed his interest in the Spanish international last week and is keen to push through a deal.

Both clubs have been locked in talks for the last weeks to try and thrash out a transfer.

Villarreal have now reluctantly decided to let the Brazil-born star leave for a fee in the region of €6 million (£4 million).

United are thought to have offered Senna a lucrative three-year deal to move from Spain to England.

Should Senna complete his move later this week he will become the second summer arrival at Old Trafford following the capture of Michael Carrick.

Ferguson faces daunting task

Unrest and injuries could spell trouble for United

JUST FOR A CHANGE, THEY WERE showing the 1999 Champions League final on Manchester United’s in-house television station yesterday. Even revisited now, that crazy evening, when United scored twice in stoppage time to defeat Bayern Munich, defies logic and explanation. “Football, bloody hell,” were the only words Sir Alex Ferguson could muster when a microphone was thrust in his face at the final whistle and, seven years on, they still capture the moment perfectly.

In his autobiography, Ferguson would reflect that the incredible victory took him to “a peak of aspiration that had sometimes seemed unreachable. In the turmoil of celebration, there was a private corner of my mind that was recalling some of the key stages of the climb”. It was a climb that, purely in terms of his managerial career, had taken him from the depths of the Scottish league with East Stirlingshire to the pinnacle of sporting achievement.

So what of the climbing analogy? If his first 25 years in management, culminating in that night in Barcelona, were a gruelling but ultimately irresistible ascent of Everest, the past seven have taken him on a hazardous journey across a series of precipices, his final destination unclear. The landscape of English football has changed before Ferguson’s eyes and, rather than the autumn of his career, it has felt like its winter, cold and unforgiving, as storms — a few undeniably of his own making — have raged around him.

Nor is it just a lack of silverware that has begun to unravel a little of the legend. There was the unedifying Rock of Gibraltar saga, which began with an argument with one of the club’s biggest shareholders over a racehorse and indirectly resulted, via a damaging smear campaign against him, in the Glazer family’s takeover of the club last summer. There have also been questions about many of the players he has signed (Juan Sebastián Veró n, Laurent Blanc, Diego Forlán, Eric Djemba Djemba, Kleberson, Liam Miller and so on) and in the dressing room, with Ruud van Nistelrooy the latest addition to a long list of leading players to have left after falling out with the manager.

One way or the other, Ferguson’s managerial career is heading towards a fascinating conclusion. At 64, he cannot be expected to go on indefinitely, so it is quite feasible that the coming season, his twentieth full campaign in charge of United, will be his last. That is not an attempt to write him off but merely to say that, just as every new season brings an opportunity to plot a route back to the summit, so each passing year brings him closer to the end, be it glorious, dignified or otherwise.

But if there are voices telling him that he is not getting any younger, and that this could be his last campaign, he is doing everything possible to ignore them. During United’s recent tour of South Africa, one reporter, having asked Ferguson whether he felt under pressure, was subjected to a mouthful of vitriolic abuse. Another raised the subject of disillusioned fans during a press conference and was angrily asked for evidence.

As it happens, there is plenty: not just on radio phone-ins and on the internet but via more traditional indicators such as the ticket office (where, despite reduced prices, seats for next Saturday’s “glamour” friendly against Seville at the expanded Old Trafford have been selling like, well, Michael Carrick shirts) and by talking to United’s supporters, who need little encouragement to tell you that disenchantment is not aimed solely at the Glazers.

Perhaps it is just as well that there are moves afoot in the transfer market. Marcos Senna should join this week from Villarreal in a £4 million deal to strengthen the midfield, while Ferguson remains eager to sign a striker to replace Van Nistelrooy, with Fernando Torres, of Atlético Madrid, still under serious consideration. Senna’s arrival is the more urgent, particularly since Carrick will miss at least the first fortnight of the new season after injuring ankle ligaments playing against Ajax in the LG Amsterdam Tournament on Saturday.

Increasingly with United these days, though, it is about the ones who are no longer there. In Amsterdam, the names of Jaap Stam, Roy Keane and Van Nistelrooy, all ruthlessly axed by Ferguson, were chanted by supporters and, as during previous friendly games away to Preston North End and Macclesfield Town, it sounded defiant, rather than merely affectionate. And affectionate is not a word that can describe some of the chants about the Glazers.

Faced with this backdrop of unrest and three successive seasons of “transition”, it can be hard to find good news involving United. The Amsterdam experience was a case in point, with red cards for Wayne Rooney and Paul Scholes overshadowing a 3-1 win over FC Porto on Friday before Carrick’s injury during the 1-0 victory against Ajax. It was easy to forget that United actually won the tournament. Look hard enough and there are positives to be found, such as the promise of Danny Simpson and Jonathan Evans, two teenage defenders who excelled against Ajax, strengthening Ferguson’s vision of a young team that will flourish long after he has departed.

But that, rightly or wrongly, is not how Ferguson will be judged. Going out on a high, whether in 2007, 2008 or another ten years from now, is what matters and that can mean one of only two things: recapturing the Premiership or the European Cup. In other words, arriving back at a peak of aspiration that has at times seemed unreachable.

Giggs offers to fill midfield gap

Winger Ryan Giggs says he is prepared to play in central midfield to help out Manchester United.

New signing from Tottenham, Michael Carrick, is set to miss the start of the season with an ankle injury and Paul Scholes may be suspended.

Giggs, 32, moved from the wing into the centre at the end of last season.

He said: "We have more options now but if the manager asked me to go back in there I would do so and I would enjoy it because I enjoyed it last season."

New signing Carrick was injured in the friendly against Ajax on Saturday, while Scholes - together with striker Wayne Rooney - was sent off against Porto.

However, United boss Sir Alex Ferguson says he is "confident" of signing at least one more player before the new season starts.

That player is expected to be Villarreal midfielder Marcos Senna.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cindy)
    Whats with the logo font, Times New Roman?

AIG

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by #2(Laika))

However, United boss Sir Alex Ferguson says he is "confident" of signing at least one more player before the new season starts.
    I should bloody well hope its more than one player, So far we've got Carrick and lost Ruud. As well as senna and maybe kuszack (or whatever his name is) I'd expect at least someone else either another midfielder, or torres.
    One more signing just wont be enough...

ReputationRep:
    Senna vs Hargreaves, who would you prefer?

I agree Daveo, we still need to buy another midfielder and a striker wouldnt be too bad aswell.

(Original post by darth_vader05)
    Senna vs Hargreaves, who would you prefer?

I agree Daveo, we still need to buy another midfielder and a striker wouldnt be too bad aswell.
    Hargreaves for me, hes got more energy and drive than Senna and hes also younger too......and hes English

(Original post by Daveo)
    I should bloody well hope its more than one player, So far we've got Carrick and lost Ruud. As well as senna and maybe kuszack (or whatever his name is) I'd expect at least someone else either another midfielder, or torres.
    One more signing just wont be enough...
    another midfielder and one stiker would be perfect!

Kuszczak nears Baggies exit

West Brom boss Bryan Robson believes a decision will be made "one way or another" this week over Manchester United target Tomasz Kuszczak.

The Baggies rejected United's latest bid of £2.5 million bid for the Polish international goalkeeper on Thursday.

Robson wanted any deal to include striker Guiseppe Rossi moving to The Hawthorns on loan for the 2006-2007 campaign but is now resigned to that not happening.

Albion chairman Jeremy Peace is set to meet with United chief executive David Gill after Robson made known his recommendations regarding the Kuszczak situation.

Robson said: "There is only one question mark about the future of any player in my squad and that is regarding Tomasz Kuszczak. That is because it is a club like Manchester United who are involved.

"I've given my recommendation to the chairman and now it's in the chairman's hands."

The Baggies boss has accepted that Rossi will not join the club and will have to turn his search for a striker elsewhere.

"Any deal for Rossi will definitely not happen. Sir Alex Ferguson has said Rossi will be staying at United and he is part of their first-team squad. That won't be part of the deal.

"I've told the chairman what I believe is the correct decision. It is up to the board. They run this club and it's their decision what to do with Tomasz.

"But I think sometime this week the decision will be made one way or the other about Tomasz because as a club we need to close that deal one way or the other and move on so we can all get focused on the season."

Kuszczak was left on the substitutes' bench for the 2-0 win over Hull with Robson preferring to play summer signing Pascal Zuberbuhler between the posts.

Robson said: "When a player has got a situation where he can go to a club like United, focusing on a game is very difficult and so for me that's why I brought in Pascal Zuberbuhler who is vastly experienced and a top international keeper.

"He is focused because he wants to get in the Premiership and that is why he has got the chance in the first place and Tomasz is on the bench."

Giggs to the rescue for Utd

Ryan Giggs is ready to answer another midfield SOS call from Manchester United.

When Sir Alex Ferguson found his squad decimated at the end of last season, he turned to Giggs to help stabilise the situation.

Now, with Michael Carrick injured and Paul Scholes facing the possibility of missing the opening game of the new campaign against Fulham on August 20 through suspension, Ferguson's midfield is again being ravaged.

Giggs believes the Old Trafford outfit are in far better shape to tackle the problem than they were 12 months ago. But, if Ferguson does call on the 32-year-old to fill the breach once more, he will be happy to accept the challenge.

"We have more options now because in addition to Paul Scholes coming back from injury and Michael Carrick arriving at the club, we also have John O'Shea and Darren Fletcher," he said.

"But if the manager asked me to go back in there I would do so and I would enjoy it, because I enjoyed it there last season."

With Carrick certain to miss the visit of Chris Coleman's men after sustaining ankle ligament damage against Ajax on Saturday, only his second game since completing the £18.6million move north from Tottenham, Giggs seems certain to be handed a central-midfield role unless either Scholes avoids a ban or Ferguson is able to bring in more reinforcements.

The United boss claimed he was 'confident' of landing at least one additional new signing within the next fortnight with Villarreal's Marcos Senna still being most heavily touted despite recent speculation which suggests Mahamadou Diarra and Franck Ribery could be back on the market.

For now, the fiery Scot must try to make the most of his available resources, which is set to provide a major cash boost to Conference outfit Oxford United on Tuesday.

Wayne Rooney, Louis Saha, Gabriel Heinze and Mikael Silvestre are all pencilled in to face the side managed by Ferguson's old mate Jim Smith, while Cristiano Ronaldo could also play for United for the first time since his controversial World Cup escapades.

The Wales skipper will probably not be involved having played an extensive part in United's pre-season campaign already. And he is acutely aware of the need for Ferguson to ensure the vast majority of his squad is battle-hardened for those testing early few weeks.

He added: "We have a top-quality squad with a lot of options, which we will need because we must make a good start.

"It is plain for everyone to see that Chelsea have improved over the last couple of seasons.

"But we got closer to them last year and hopefully, we will get even closer this season."

Ole heads for Fergie friction

Manchester United striker Ole Gunnar Solskjaer could be heading for conflict with Sir Alex Ferguson after being named in Norway's international squad.

Both United's fans and management have been heartened by the form that the Norwegian has shown this pre-season after nearly three seasons out of action because of knee trouble.

While Ferguson has claimed it would be too much for the 33-year-old to continue playing at the top level domestically and internationally, Norway's coach Age Hareide has not heeded the Scot's words.

The 'baby-faced assassin' has been recalled for his country's friendly game against Brazil in Oslo on August 16 and Hareide is hopeful of winning United's consent.

"We understand he (Ferguson) is concerned," Hareide told www.fotball.no.

"Ole has been out for two years but he looked very good in Amsterdam when I saw him there.

"With common sense we will find a solution."

Solskjaer impressed for The Red Devils in their 3-1 victory over Porto on Friday at the tournament at Ajax.

Both Paul Scholes and Wayne Rooney were sent off in the game, leaving Solskjaer to lead the line for the Reds.

He carried the game to the Portuguese side admirably and sealed the performance with the third goal of the game, seemingly announcing his return.

But Solskjaer could be key for United this season, particularly following the departure of Ruud van Nistelrooy, and the Old Trafford outfit are unlikely to take the decision lying down.

Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.