Report Thread starter 12 years ago
(Original post by s0301769)
Heil Rooney!
*Hail Rooney....Indeed
Rafa
Badges: 1
MAN UTD 5 - 1 FULHAM

Cristiano Ronaldo and Wayne Rooney teamed up for the first time since the World Cup to help Manchester United thrash hapless Fulham.

Louis Saha headed United in front on seven minutes and his cross then forced Ian Pearce to divert into his own net, prompting a Fulham collapse.

Rooney tapped in before crossing for Ronaldo to make it four in 19 minutes.

Fulham pulled one back through Heidar Helguson's deflected effort but Rooney wrapped up victory after the break.

Sir Alex Ferguson and his players had stressed the need for United to begin the season firing on all cylinders, but they could not have dreamed of a start like this.

Ferguson teamed up Ronaldo and Rooney for the first time since their World Cup disagreement and the pair responded with some delightful interchanges.

They did, though, have the luxury of playing against a shambolic defence.

United were ahead after only seven minutes, Ryan Giggs' superb cross falling between Pearce and Liam Rosenior where Saha was waiting to head in his third goal against his former club.

Pearce got in front of Rooney to try and cut out Saha's low cross but could only steer into his own net.

With Fulham in complete disarray, an unmarked Gary Neville crossed and though Antti Niemi parried Saha's volley, Rooney was on hand to sidefoot home before the England striker turned provider for Ronaldo to half-volley in.

It could even have been much worse for Chris Coleman's side at half-time.

Rosenior cleared a dangerous Giggs corner off the line and Paul Scholes saw his venomous strike canon back off the foot of the post, hit Antti Niemi and trickle back towards the goal-line before the Fulham keeper managed to collect.

Fulham's first-half display did not merit a goal but it got one when Helguson's shot hit Rio Ferdinand and looped over the stranded Edwin van der Sar.

It was a momentary relief for Fulham though because the misery continued after the break.

Michael Brown was extremely fortunate to escape with only a yellow card for a horrible two-footed lunge on Giggs.

The usually placid Giggs was clearly upset and was booked for a clumsy challenge on the Fulham defender before both players were substituted.

United exacted the perfect revenge after 64 minutes with a devastating attack.

Ronaldo picked up the ball from Scholes and fed the overlapping Wes Brown, who pulled it back for Rooney to shoot low into the corner.

United understandably took their foot off the pedal as the clock ran down but by then Fulham were too shell-shocked to take advantage.

Coleman must pick up the pieces quickly or it will be a season of struggles for the Cottagers.
morgo
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
evra motm for me
Rafa
(Original post by morgo)
evra motm for me
good choice :yy:
morgo
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
whos winning the predictions league then lol
non-centrally acting
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Great game!! Wouldnt have minded Rooney getting his hatrick why did neville come off??

Sweet goals Fulham might be going down this year!!!
non-centrally acting
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by morgo)
whos winning the predictions league then lol
probably ND. but its still early days! got the whole season left!

dont know where ronaldhinio has dissapeared to!! :eek: last season he was on top for most of the season, but then he dissapeared! :ninja:
Rafa
(Original post by darth_vader05)
Great game!! Wouldnt have minded Rooney getting his hatrick why did neville come off??

Sweet goals Fulham might be going down this year!!!
yeh Rooney desereved a hat-trick, Neville was taken off because his calf was playing up, it was just precautionary....he should be fine midweek
morgo
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
i think fulham will go down. neville must have that calf problem. I thought evra was fab.
WaW™
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Demolition in progress, a very decent game indeed however we should have scored more! lol

Fulham will not go down Coleman is a very good manager and has created a good side ona budget.

UTD all the way this season? I'm trying not to get carried away. But how can i not 5-1! WOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOO!
Rafa
(Original post by Weird and Wonderful)
Demolition in progress, a very decent game indeed however we should have scored more! lol

Fulham will not go down Coleman is a very good manager and has created a good side ona budget.

UTD all the way this season? I'm trying not to get carried away. But how can i not 5-1! WOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOO!
weve gotta stay consistent!....good game though
non-centrally acting
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Weird and Wonderful)

i know he's good, but he's going to have problems this year! last year it was a close run for them aswell

O Shea played pretty well aswell :eek:
Rafa
i know he's good, but he's going to have problems this year! last year it was a close run for them aswell

O Shea played pretty well aswell :eek:
yeh he did and always does to be honest...hes not world class but he gets the job done :yy:
non-centrally acting
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by #2(Laika))
yeh he did and always does to be honest...hes not world class but he gets the job done :yy:
I seemed to have a love hate relationship with that guy he sometimes plays rubbish, but yeah today he got the job done :cool: shame ole couldnt control it!
WaW™
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by #2(Laika))
weve gotta stay consistent!....good game though
Yeah we have missed that to be fair. Hopefully we will be more consistent.

O Shea played pretty well aswell
I think O'shea is under rated he is a very good player maybe not quite top class but very good. Hence why SAF has not sold him to Newcastle and another number of clubs that have been interested.
mc_watson87
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by morgo)
yer superb, evra what a player, proving his true worth. Also saha will easily get 20 goals this season. so good utd today.
I actually thought he was ****! So many mares. Blind passes so often... Several could have easily lead to goals. Defenders have to be mare free, he had at least 3 big mistakes in that game!
Rafa
(Original post by mc_watson87)
I actually thought he was ****! So many mares. Blind passes so often... Several could have easily lead to goals. Defenders have to be mare free, he had at least 3 big mistakes in that game!
he did give balls away but also made quite a few decent challenges aswell....
morgo
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
you got to be kidding, he was u p and dow the flank and did some boss challenges. what do utd fans think
non-centrally acting
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by morgo)
you got to be kidding, he was u p and dow the flank and did some boss challenges. what do utd fans think
he is a united fan :p: Evra wasnt MOTM for me, but defensively he did a great job. Although I partly agree with mc_watson87, he could have done more with the ball in forward positions. He did well to get there, but rather than passing it (to rooney once!) he crossed it out of play. But a job well done IMO.
Rafa
he is a united fan :p: Evra wasnt MOTM for me, but defensively he did a great job. Although I partly agree with mc_watson87, he could have done more with the ball in forward positions. He did well to get there, but rather than passing it (to rooney once!) he crossed it out of play. But a job well done IMO.
Rooney Man Of The Match for me...had a fantastic game!
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (205)
18.84%
No (661)
60.75%
Not really bothered about them (222)
20.4%

Watched Threads