Turn on thread page Beta

The Manchester United Society watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    wll whatever hes called lol. good morning to you 2. times running out!

(Original post by morgo)
    wll whatever hes called lol. good morning to you 2. times running out!
    Theres still time....

ReputationRep:
    why wont he put a transfer request in

HARGREAVES WAITS ON DREAM MOVE

Owen Hargreaves insists he still hopes to win a dream move to Manchester United, but admits the matter is out of his hands.

The 25-year-old Bayern Munich midfielder impressed at this summer's World Cup in Germany and was voted England's best player of the tournament in a Football Association poll.

United and Munich remain deadlocked on a deal for the Calgary-born player though, and with the August 31 transfer deadline looming large the player has refused to give up on a move to Old Trafford.

"I've given everything to Bayern Munich for the last nine years and I want to be treated with respect," Hargreaves told Bild.

"I simply want it to be accepted that Manchester would be a great step for me."

The Bundesliga champions insist that the player is not for sale, and have even threatened to report Sir Alex Ferguson's men to Fifa if they do not give up their pursuit of the wantaway player.

"The manager doesn't want to let me go. That's his right. But he knows exactly what I want," Hargreaves stressed.

"It's simply a great challenge. I'm an England player, part of my family lives near Manchester. A lot of things come together."

Hargreaves has meanwhile defended his decision to extend his contract at the Allianz Arena last year until 2010.

"It was a great honour for me at the time," he continued.

"In the meantime, a lot of things have developed for me in a different way. I have a great chance to become a key player for England."

With Michael Ballack having departed for Chelsea at the end of last season, Hargreaves' role for Munich has become even more important and the player believes he could still fulfil the weight of expectation in Germany if required.

"The coach knows what I can do," he added.

"And so do the fans. I always give everything I have. That won't change no matter where I play."

ReputationRep:
    I dont understand what all that means. Is he saying i will go or is he saying iwont.

(Original post by morgo)
    I dont understand what all that means. Is he saying i will go or is he saying iwont.
    He's saying he wants to go but he isnt in control of the situation!

ReputationRep:
    Will they budge, it took us a while to get rio and wazza...

(Original post by morgo)
    Will they budge, it took us a while to get rio and wazza...
    They will eventually...i hope...

ReputationRep:
    6 days is left isnt it

(Original post by morgo)
    6 days is left isnt it
    Yep...

ReputationRep:
    If he hands in a transfer request, and does a press conference saying he wants out like it was reported, then Bayern will let him go.

ReputationRep:
    yer you're right ronaldo , however will he?. From what ive heard he was to ill to hold a pc

UNITED WATCH NORWEGIAN STARLET

Manchester United are watching Norway international Kristofer Haested.

The Premiership giants put the promising midfielder under the microscope on Thursday night during IK Start's Uefa Cup tie with Drogheda United.

The Red Devils sent their Irish scout Joe Corcoran to watch the youngster and he confirmed he had been instructed to run a check on Haested.

"I got a message from United's chief scout Jim Lawlor to go to exclusively track Haested," Corcoran told Faedrelandsvennen.

Though Start lost the game 1-0, the Norwegian outfit still progressed to the first round proper of the Uefa Cup after a tense penalty shoot-out victory.

Haested is thought to have impressed in the match and was delighted that his 'favourite club' had come to monitor his ability.

"I didn't know they were here, but it is, of course, nice that my favourite club are here to see me," said Haested.

"If they were impressed by what they saw here today, I don't know, but generally I'm a bit fed up with the all the speculation over professional players."

United had also watched Haested in international action last week when Norway drew 1-1 with Brazil in a game which also featured current Red Devils favourite Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.

Sir Alex Ferguson will now decide whether to bid for the central midfielder, or continue tracking his progress, with Start due to face Ajax in the first round of the Uefa Cup.

UNITED IN RUUD HEALTH - GRAY

There's no doubt Manchester United have come flying out of the blocks this season.

Two wins and eight goals from two games tells its own story, but results aside, they have a different look about them.

Different in the sense that they know, after three years without a Premiership title, that it is time to deliver. Their fans expect it of them, and you just sense there is a little more intent there.

They also knew that a good start was imperative. They had to be on their game from day one, because as strange as it sounds after two games, they cannot afford to lose ground on Chelsea or any of the other top sides.

That was their problem last season, when I think they dropped seven points out of the first 18. Normally that is not a problem for Manchester United because Sir Alex Ferguson and the rest of football knows they are more than capable of putting a formidable run of wins together after Christmas.

But being safe in that knowledge is no longer enough. Chelsea won 18 out of 19 home games last season, dropping just two points, which is just ridiculous!

They have dispelled the idea of a strong finish winning the title. They have set the bar at new heights. Now you need to be at the races from the word go.

United have done that all right and this time, so far they've looked a more together, purposeful side, with a little bit of that old United confidence back.

I think the problems with Ruud van Nistelrooy cast a bit of a shadow over the club towards the end of last season and having sorted that out, it looks a much happier ship.

You cannot argue with the goals van Nistelrooy scored, but what Louis Saha brings this United side is a different set of options.

While Ruud liked the ball into feet and would drop deep to do get it, Saha has the pace and the ability to stretch sides.

He can drop deep as well, but as I said on commentary at Charlton, he also loves the ball over the top. He has got the pace to get in behind him and he is more than capable of running at defenders as well, and we know he can finish.

Whether or not they will miss van Nistelrooy's goals only time will tell, but so far the answer has to be no. I do think we will also see more of Ryan Giggs playing off the front man, when and as Sir Alex feels it necessary. Giggs' performance, particularly his touch, at The Valley was outstanding.

Cristiano Ronaldo also showed that he is big enough to deal with the stick he is going to get at grounds this season.

And don't forget United have been without some big names already.

You could say they were only up against Fulham and Charlton but they have swept them aside without Michael Carrick, Paul Scholes, Wayne Rooney, Gary Neville and Alan Smith at one time or another.

Getting Carrick back ahead so soon will be a huge boost and the thing about this United side is, I don't think they are anywhere near at their strongest.

They are a pretty young lot that have done the job so far, but I don't think this is side that can go and get results at Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal or in Europe against Barcelona and Real Madrid.

There are much bigger tests than Charlton and Fulham ahead, but then there are much bigger players to come back in. If you want to be champions, you can't afford to be left in the blocks. United haven't.

NEVILLE OUT OF EURO QUALIFIERS

As Manchester United's first team worries mount, club captain Gary Neville has now been ruled out of England's next two Euro 2008 qualifiers.

The Red Devils were forced to make three changes for their trip to Charlton Athletic on Wednesday from the side which won so convincingly in the 5-1 season-opener against Fulham.

United won the game at The Valley comfortably in the end, but now face the next two games at Watford and at home to Tottenham Hotspur without three of their key men.

Inspirations Wayne Rooney and Paul Scholes still have two more games to serve as part of their controversial suspensions, and The Red Devils have now lost their skipper through injury as well.

Neville has been struggling with a calf injury since returning from the World Cup and he broke down after just 45 minutes of the Cottagers game.

Sir Alex Ferguson has now ordered the right back to take a complete rest in the hope of a return for the UEFA Champions League game at home to Celtic on September 13.

That means he will miss Steve McClaren's first competitive games in charge of The Three Lions against Andorra and Macedonia in the first week of September.

The manager also revealed that centre back Nemanja Vidic had broken his wrist in training, although that should not prevent him linking up with the Serbia squad.

FERGIE WAITS FOR OWEN UPDATE

Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson says he is awaiting news from Bayern Munich regarding the possible transfer of Owen Hargreaves.

The England international reiterated his desire to move to The Premiership again on Friday but Bayern seem determined to hold onto the midfielder in an increasingly acrimonious transfer saga.

United have just six days to forge a deal before the transfer window closes, and as such have dispatched chief executive David Gill in a bid to find a resolution with their German counterparts.

The Red Devils have been publicly warned off continuing their pursuit for Hargreaves, who is a key player in the Bayern ranks, but Ferguson is not giving up on his quest to bring a second England international to Old Trafford after the capture of Michael Carrick this summer.

Whilst the Scot has no fresh news regarding any progress in the transfer as he awaits an update from Gill, who was in Monaco for the UEFA Champions League draw, the United boss stated that the Premiership club need Bayern to reveal their hand.

"We know what the situation is," Ferguson said on Sky Sports News.

"We really need for them to tell us what's happening.

"David [Gill] is in Monaco, I don't know whether he spoke to [Karl-Heinz] Rummenigge or [Uli] Hoeness.

"We're waiting to see where David is, if [he made] any progress himself yesterday.

"We'll wait and see what happens."

United are reportedly ready to spend £17 million to secure Hargreaves' signature, but Bayern have given no indication they are ready to lose the player who is contracted to the Allianz Arena until 2010.

ReputationRep:
    Woo just got tickets for tomorrow =)

(Original post by mc_watson87)
    Woo just got tickets for tomorrow =)
    Nice one, have fun :yy:

ReputationRep:
    #2(Laika) - I like what you've done to this. Just wondering, are all those articles taken off skysports.co.uk or is there another source? Thanks.

To everyone - Man Utd to win the Premiership this season!!!

(Original post by Flexon)
    #2(Laika) - I like what you've done to this. Just wondering, are all those articles taken off skysports.co.uk or is there another source? Thanks.

To everyone - Man Utd to win the Premiership this season!!!
    Thanks , most of the articles you see here are mainly from SkySports.Com, but sometimes i get them from other sources too such as The Times, Goal.com, ITV Sports, BBC Sports etc.

Poll
Do you like exams?
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.