The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

#2(Laika)
Welcome Back Ollie! :smile:

Thanks mate, any chance you could summarise the goings on of this thread while i've been away? Any more agro from Mr power and his various aliases? :biggrin:
Reply 3781
Welcome back Ollie, hope you enjoyed your holiday.

Anyways, my prediction for tomorrow's game is United 3-1 Watford

On a side note, anybody here who may end up going to the home CL game v Celtic, it's been designated as a European flag night, so bring along your flags and what not, and Big Lilly is due to be making her return for the game too :biggrin: I'll add more info about it once SEF have the flyer/poster sorted.
Reply 3782
olliemccowan
Thanks mate, any chance you could summarise the goings on of this thread while i've been away? Any more agro from Mr power and his various aliases? :biggrin:

Everythings been cool dude, nothing bad to report, Mr powers has been banned i think....and also ive been made thread starter so ive changed the first post, tell me what you think about it.
Reply 3783
SIR ALEX BACKS ROY'S RETURN

Sir Alex Ferguson admits he is surprised to see Roy Keane enter the world of management so soon after retiring over the summer, but his former mentor is sure that Sunderland is a superb opportunity for the fiery Irishman.

Keane may be appointed Black Cats boss in time for the Bank Holiday game with West Brom after it emerged on Wednesday night that he had been in talks with former Republic of Ireland colleague Niall Quinn.

The shock move comes just two months after the legendary midfielder retired from playing whilst at Celtic, bringing an end to a glorious career that included a trophy-laden 12 years with Ferguson at Old Trafford.

Although their famous partnership was brought to an acrimonious end last season, the Scot has always tipped his former charge to be a force in the managerial community after Keane displayed his leadership qualities and indomitable spirit as he became the driving force behind United's incredible success in the 1990s.

Whilst Ferguson admits he was slightly taken aback at the speed of Keane's introduction to the cut-and-thrust world of management, he is fully aware that such a chance may never have reared its head again.

"It's a bit earlier than I thought," said Ferguson on Sky Sports News.

"But in some cases in football, tomorrow may never come.

"The opportunity is there to take the job and, if he is taking it, maybe that's uppermost in his mind.

"You don't want to be out of the game too long.

"I got the same advice when I was quitting playing, in case these moments pass you by."

Whilst Ferguson set off on his management career path with Scottish minnows East Stirling in 1974, Keane is on the brink of joining a club with a 49,000 seater stadium and high expectations of a swift return to the top flight.

With a setup worthy of The Premiership, Ferguson is sure that Sunderland is a fantastic place for the enigmatic Keane to learn his trade, but the United boss had words of warning for the Irishman about the nature of the modern game for a young managerial hopeful.

"Sunderland is a great club with a great history, a fantastic support base and a good stadium," Ferguson added.

"Everything is there and apparently they've got a fantastic training ground. It's got most of the things correct about them.

"It wouldn't be easy, I don't think being a manager is today, it doesn't matter where you are.

"The way football is structured in terms of the media, agents, freedom of contract and players' power nowadays, it's completely different.

"It's not easy getting a job nowadays."

Ferguson also backed Keane's plan to appoint former Manchester United number two Brian Kidd as his assistant at The Stadium of Light.

"He knows Brian and that's probably the route most people would go down to take someone they know."
Reply 3784
FERGIE BEMUSED BY FA RULES

Sir Alex Ferguson has criticised The Football Association's disciplinary system for its inconsistencies and inaction.

The Manchester United boss has been left stunned by the English footballing body's decision to uphold bans for Wayne Rooney and Paul Scholes for their controversial red cards picked up in pre-season.

Further upsetting Ferguson is an amendment to the disciplinary system which means that players who are punished by the referee for an incident cannot then be retrospectively punished.

Though the fiery Scot was unwilling to comment on Manchester City defender Ben Thatcher's case specifically, he cannot understand a system that has allowed Fulham's Michael Brown to get away with a yellow card for his vicious lunge on Ryan Giggs in the opening game of the season.

"We think it's unfair," Ferguson told Sky Sports News.

"You see the tackle on Giggs which really was a career-threatening attempt, so you are just always bemused by the workings of the disciplinary situation and you will always be.

"In fairness, in this situation I don't know exactly who in Fifa changed it.

"They did change it, why they did I've no idea but once the referee has given a decision that's final.

"You go back to the [Michael] Essien tackle on [Tal] Ben Haim last year and that was followed up by several things that have happened since then.

"You are given a card and that's the end of the matter, nothing can be done with Brown or Thatcher.

"You have to live with it at the moment."
Reply 3785
AGENT:TEVEZ SET FOR ENGLAND

Carlos Tevez's agent has claimed that his charge is nearing a move to England.

Chelsea have been leading the chase in recent months, but Manchester United and Arsenal are also both known to be keen.

Tevez fell out with his Brazilian club Corinthians at the weekend when he walked out following their game with Botafogo - claiming he would not play for them again.

Corinthians coach Emerson Leao has not been shy in condemning the Argentine striker - who looks as if he could be on his way to Europe.

Adrian Rucco, Tevez's agent, admitted a move to The Premiership was on the cards.

"Tevez is very close to moving to an English club," said Rucco.

A host of clubs from Europe are interested in Tevez, with Milan and Bayern Munich also linked.

But Corinthians director Humberto Grondona confirmed that they were under the impression Rucco was setting up a move to England.

"I am convinced that Carlos will go away to some European league," Grondona told La Nacion.

"His representative, Adrian Rucco, was in Rome three days ago and now he has gone to England to look for a club for him."

Reports in France have already stated that Rennes have made contact with Chelsea about the possibility of taking Tevez on loan, should The Blues sign him and decide to let him leave immediately.
Reply 3786
BAYERN INSISTENT OVER HARGREAVES

Bayern Munich insist Owen Hargreaves will not be allowed to leave the club before his current contract expires in 2010.

Manchester United are trying frantically to tie up a deal for the England international before next Thursday transfer deadline.

However, despite Hargreaves desire to leave and United's keenness to land him - Bayern are refusing to budge.

"He is free to swap sides - but not before July 1, 2010," Bayern chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge told Welt.

"This is the last word. If I say this, then that is what it is going to be.

"He can swap sides on July 1, 2010 - no sooner."

Rummenigge earlier this week stated that Bayern were considering taking United to Fifa over their pursuit, but he now says the English giants have backed off after talks with Red Devils chief executive David Gill.

"Manchester United have stopped their activities," he said.

"I have been in touch with my colleague David Gill and they stick to what we have agreed to. That is correct and serious."
Reply 3787
My Prediction:

Watford 0 - 3 Man Utd
Reply 3788
Ive Updated The Predictions And Also Made A Table, Its At The Bottom Of The First Post :smile:
Reply 3789
end of hargreaves it seems
morgo
end of hargreaves it seems

He can just hand in a transfer request. They're not going to keep someone who doesn't want to play for them when they can get £17 million for him.
and the Tevez link looks exciting :smile: If we can get him and Hargreaves, the title is coming home :biggrin:
Reply 3792
Ronaldo VII
and the Tevez link looks exciting :smile: If we can get him and Hargreaves, the title is coming home :biggrin:

:ditto: :biggrin:
Reply 3793
tevez will be coming to OT from what his agent has said
Reply 3794
am saying 3-0 again to united, they simply dont look like there going to concede at the moment and are looking like scoring every time they attack.
3-0 to United: Giggs, Saha & Ronaldo :smile:
Reply 3796
2-0 to united. Oh and chlesea draw at Blackburn! :rofl:
INsider information: Boothroyd went to the United Fulham game and the first thing he sed to his players after coming back was, "We can beat them". Watford are also pissed off that Ferguson wont let Ben Foster play. The coachin staff at Watford tell their players they can win, but secretly themselves they know they've lost. :biggrin: (Source: Watford Assistant manager)
Reply 3798
Yeh Watford wont be able to stick with utd for the full 90 mins. Our class will show. I think Fergie may rest a few players though because he said in a news conference today about the amount of running ronaldo, giggs and park did and he was thinking of freshening up the side. Lookslike carrick is in line for his full debut. Hopefully
It isn't Fergies fault that Foster cant play, its a prem rule lol.

Latest