The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

olliemccowan
Rooney's banned for the internationals too right?

Banned or not, he isn't in the squad, so he isn't going to play.
Reply 3981
talks have just begun on owen? where you hear that
morgo
talks have just begun on owen? where you hear that

Eh? Where did you read that? lol

Edit: I guess you mean Owen [Hargreaves]
A week ago Bayern basically said:

"There is absoloutely no way we are selling Owen Hargreaves".

At that time, talks cannot have been underway. If they have changed their mind, talks can only have begun in the past few days. It's not a question of source, simply a case of reading between the lines, as if often necessary when it comes to transfer speculation.

Also, United would not have enquired about Reo-Coker if we thought we would get Hargreaves. I'm not saying it's a 100% not, but I would be surprised if we got him. Pleasantly surprised, but still surprised.
BexTait
Yup, only 2 matches for the Internationals tho I think, so he'd be free for the next qualifiers.

Edit: on second thoughts, he missed the friendly not so long ago too, so it was a 3 match suspension, with 2 remaining.

Nah, he didnt play in the friendly because Steve McClaren wanted to try out players who could play in the qualifiers.
Berto90
A week ago Bayern basically said:

"There is absoloutely no way we are selling Owen Hargreaves".

At that time, talks cannot have been underway. If they have changed their mind, talks can only have begun in the past few days. It's not a question of source, simply a case of reading between the lines, as if often necessary when it comes to transfer speculation.

Also, United would not have enquired about Reo-Coker if we thought we would get Hargreaves. I'm not saying it's a 100% not, but I would be surprised if we got him. Pleasantly surprised, but still surprised.

From what I understand, Hargreaves had already agreed personal terms before the last England friendly. The plan was that he would stay on in Manchester after the England game to complete the deal, undergo a medical, etc. Hargreaves was quoted before the game saying that he was considering an offer from United, which would have needed Bayern’s permission, so it looks likely the jigsaw pieces were in place for a deal to be concluded. At that point, it seems Man Utd and Bayern had agreed on a £12m fee.

Then, for some reason, Bayern increased their asking price to, rumours say, £20m. United were obviously reluctant to pay that amount, and told Bayern where to go. This would clarify SAF’s comments that United would not pay over the odds for any player, regardless.

Bayern’s posturing is designed to try and get united to pay their asking price for him. I cant for the life of me see why OH would want to stay in Munich now, especially after what Hooness has been saying about him.

Between now and Thursday night, United have two options. They either pay what Bayern are asking, or they make a pretty quick decision to make a bid for someone else. The most likely one for me is that United will pay Bayern what they’re asking for.
Reply 3986
SILVESTRE CONSISTENCY IS KEY

Mikael Silvestre believes Manchester United have the squad to capitalise on their perfect start to the season so far.

The French defender scored the first as United beat Watford 2-1 at Vicarage Road to make it three wins out of three for the early Premiership leaders.

Sir Alex Ferguson's side opened up in the same fashion last term, though, before draws with Manchester City and Liverpool and a home defeat to Blackburn Rovers saw them slip down the standings.

But, while The Red Devils' only major signing remains £14 million Michael Carrick thus far, the return of Paul Scholes, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and Gabriel Heinze after their long-term injuries means there is a real sense of belief amongst the Old Trafford squad.

"We cannot afford to do what we did last year," admitted Silvestre. "But if you look at it, we have more players this term.

"In defence alone we have Gary Neville, Gabriel Heinze and Nemanja Vidic to come back into the side which is going to generate major competition for places.

"And the more players you have, the better everyone else has to play, so the performance levels should be high as well."

With Tottenham Hotspur and Arsenal to come in the top flight either side of their UEFA Champions League clash with Celtic in Group F, Ferguson will be anxious to avoid casualties from the first international break of the campaign.

The fiery Scot has been already been boosted by the news that Rio Ferdinand has escaped with a bruised toe after the weekend's second consecutive away win, and is now fit to represent England in the Euro 2008 qualifiers.

And the Reds will also be hoping to strengthen the squad still further ahead of Thursday's transfer deadline, with Owen Hargreaves looking the most likely new arrival.
Reply 3987
What do you guys think about Keano taking over at Sunderland?
Reply 3988
Daveo
What do you guys think about Keano taking over at Sunderland?

Its a tricky one, i mean Keane has no experience at manager level, he was a great player but its hard telling how he'll do at Sunderland as a manager, i wish him all the best!:smile:
Reply 3989
martin williams is right with his talk regarding hargreaves. just pay watever plz fergie
Reply 3990
morgo
martin williams is right with his talk regarding hargreaves. just pay watever plz fergie

Dude, we're not Chelsea...we can just fork out loads of money for one single player..i mean 17-18 millions seems a lot to me, Hargreaves is a class player but i wouldnt pay more than 18 million for him!
Reply 3991
#2(Laika)
Its a tricky one, i mean Keane has no experience at manager level, he was a great player but its hard telling how he'll do at Sunderland as a manager, i wish him all the best!:smile:
Lets hope he does alright cos he might well be our future manager :smile:
Reply 3992
I have been away for 7 weeks now, im back and very much like united raring to go on this forum. I have read some great things, some wierd things, and some things that will get you slapped and sent away from old trafford for good. I think Hargreaves will come, tevez wont. Keane as manager of sunderland, i think the fact that he is back in the game so soon only illustrates the hunger and passion he has for the game, having said that, we are all united fans here, if you dont understand the passion and commitment that man has for football then the air that fills your lungs at this very moment in time doesnt deserve to be there. I couldnt have cared less where he goes, lets just give him every best wish because this is the bottom of his manegerial ladder, and half way up it, i think you'll find united. There is no way keane would be able to march straight into the united job, he needs a few jobs under his belt, and i think sunderland is a place where he can prove his credentials, cause i dont know one person who wouldnt have him back at old trafford, i think he will take sunderland up, go down again, leave and then maybe a year or so on from that, come and manage united.

As for our start to the season, i have been very impressed, not so much with our attacking play, which is what everyone on here seems to enjoy going on about, but our solid defence, i think rio is back to his best, i think evra is going to prove a fantastic signing in the long run and i have been impressed with van der sar, even though he has not been challenged too much this season.

If we can maintain this form early that will be crucial, we will have a glitch, every team does, but as sir alex has already illustrated it is better to be top and losing, than second and on form. Everyone has got too excited by the fact chelsea lost to boro, its one result, they will be tough this season but im looking forward to the fight.
Reply 3993
Daveo

Yeh i hope so, Keano as our manager would be class!
Reply 3994
mancred
I have been away for 7 weeks now, im back and very much like united raring to go on this forum. I have read some great things, some wierd things, and some things that will get you slapped and sent away from old trafford for good. I think Hargreaves will come, tevez wont. Keane as manager of sunderland, i think the fact that he is back in the game so soon only illustrates the hunger and passion he has for the game, having said that, we are all united fans here, if you dont understand the passion and commitment that man has for football then the air that fills your lungs at this very moment in time doesnt deserve to be there. I couldnt have cared less where he goes, lets just give him every best wish because this is the bottom of his manegerial ladder, and half way up it, i think you'll find united. There is no way keane would be able to march straight into the united job, he needs a few jobs under his belt, and i think sunderland is a place where he can prove his credentials, cause i dont know one person who wouldnt have him back at old trafford, i think he will take sunderland up, go down again, leave and then maybe a year or so on from that, come and manage united.

As for our start to the season, i have been very impressed, not so much with our attacking play, which is what everyone on here seems to enjoy going on about, but our solid defence, i think rio is back to his best, i think evra is going to prove a fantastic signing in the long run and i have been impressed with van der sar, even though he has not been challenged too much this season.

If we can maintain this form early that will be crucial, we will have a glitch, every team does, but as sir alex has already illustrated it is better to be top and losing, than second and on form. Everyone has got too excited by the fact chelsea lost to boro, its one result, they will be tough this season but im looking forward to the fight.

Welcome Back :smile:
Daveo

Nah, that’ll be either Martin O’Neill or Mark Hughes.
Reply 3996
martynwilliams

I wouldnt mind Sparky....
martynwilliams

tbh, i would not want O'Neill, nor sparky, if it was upto me, i'd poach paul le guen off rangers as soon as his two years are up at ibrox - now there is a bright young manager...
Reply 3998
rotherhamlad
tbh, i would not want O'Neill, nor sparky, if it was upto me, i'd poach paul le guen off rangers as soon as his two years are up at ibrox - now there is a bright young manager...

Yeh he did quite well at Lyon but still i think id prefer a British manager....
Reply 3999
JUVE INSISTENT OVER TREZEGUET

Juventus insist they will keep World Cup stars David Trezeguet and Mauro Camoranesi despite links with Manchester United and Internazionale.

Reports emanating out of Italy suggest Trezeguet's father, who acts as his agent, flew to England to meet with Old Trafford officials at the weekend.

But having already lost world class talent in Fabio Cannavaro, Gianluca Zambrotta, Emerson, Patrick Vieira, Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Lilian Thuram as a result of the Italian match-fixing scandal, club president Giovanni Cobolli Gigli refuses to let any more players leave his squad.

"I don't know what they have in mind for Camoranesi and Trezeguet, but we won't give up. They will remain at Juve," Gigli stated.

Despite those assurances the Italian's agent Sergio Fortunato insists his charge would like a move to Italian rivals Internazionale now that negotiations with Lyon have broken down.

"Inter is a great team and it's what Mauro would like for his career from now on," Fortunato explained.

"He is looking for strong motivation and wants to play in a team that fights for the likes of the Champions League or the Scudetto.

"Inter has built a very strong team and Mauro has been seduced by the idea of playing there."

Meanwhile, Bianconeri have missed out on their only chance of playing in Europe this season after being knocked out of the Coppa Italia by their new Serie B rivals Napoli.

World Cup winner Alessandro Del Piero scored twice in the game and converted his spot-kick, but could do nothing to prevent Juve going out 8-7 on penalties in a thrilling away tie.

Coach Didier Deschamps was obviously frustrated by the result, which saw Napoli progress to the last 16 of the competition, but had no complaints.

"It was a good match to watch and play. I can't reproach my guys for anything, they had the right spirit, but unfortunately there are situations where you're just unlucky," the Frenchman reflected.

"Del Piero isn't 100 percent for fitness, but he's still a cut above. But the season doesn't end here.

"The league is the most important thing for me, but we are disappointed because this competition was an opportunity to earn a European place."

Juve have refused to give up on their appeals against their penalties incurred as a result of the Italian match-fixing scandal.

While Lazio have refused to take their 11-point penalty up in the civil courts, the Stadio Delle Alpi side look set to take the matter out of the sporting courts unless the Italian Olympic Committee of Arbitration (CONI) will hear their case.

The Italian giants are determined to overturn their relegation to Serie B and that looks set to be the major sticking point, which will determine their next course of action.

Latest