The Manchester United Society Watch

This discussion is closed.
BexTait
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Juwel)
It's not just the Chinese and other overseas fans; I think more and more the current and new generation of preteen football fans, if not our generation too, see football in big business terms. And this is disappointing. What's most disappointing is the sheer emotional divorce between football and the clubs and fans, and the players and staff that represent them. Fans like us pour in our money and emotional investment and I'm disillusioned that the players are there to be permanently in the shop window and collect their pay and don't love their club in quite the same way as we do. I fear the new fans will be as clinical and not so passionate. I even fear that should I have kids they will grow to fall for football and footballers and feel the same disappointment that their feelings aren't reciprocated; I fear more the people in the game that are likely to serve as role models for the youngsters becuase, let's face it, football doesn't give this country the best of role models.
Sadly that's true, although there are still some players around that love their clubs. Ole being one of them, he is a true model footballer. Gone are the days when the majority of players only played for one or two clubs, now you have the likes of Ashley Cole and Shaun Wright-Philips moving for the money, not their careers.
Rafa
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
(Original post by Juwel)
Man he was good against Brazil. That volleyed pass to feed in Robbie Earnshaw: I creamed myself. As well as being a proper professional and shining example to the youngsters. Boy's a bit special.
class!
Rafa
ROONEY HAILS ROSSI QUALITY

Manchester United striker Wayne Rooney has tipped Giuseppe Rossi to take The Premiership by storm.

The 19-year-old completed a loan move to Newcastle last week to the surprise of many United fans, who felt he was on the verge of breaking into their first team.

Rooney feels that Rossi will make a success of his four-month stint at St James' Park, and praised the Italian's extraordinary goalscoring ability.

"Giuseppe is a great player and one to watch out for," hailed the England ace.

"I see him every day in training and he has really impressed me. His touch, feel of the ball and awareness are nothing short of brilliant.

"He is perhaps the best finisher at Manchester United and he will only get better."

Rooney is confident that Rossi will return to Old Trafford an improved player after consulting two men with first-hand experience of Magpies boss Glenn Roeder's talent for nurturing youngsters.

"I have talked to the likes of Michael Carrick and Joe Cole about the way Glenn Roeder brought them through at West Ham and the feeling at Old Trafford is that Giuseppe is in good hands with Newcastle," Rooney explained.
mancred
Badges: 0
Report 12 years ago
people say giggsys lost it, last night showed thats ridiculous
Rafa
(Original post by mancred)
people say giggsys lost it, last night showed thats ridiculous
Giggsy is a class player and has never lost it, his passion and desire is immense, hes a classic role model for kids, its a shame he isnt English....
mancred
Report 12 years ago
i know, you get fans of other clubs saying hes lost it, not the player he was, well his performance last night showed him at top performance, giggsy, ronaldo, carrick and scholes, makes good reading.
BexTait
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
He's been playing great so far this season, hopefully he'll keep it up and be able to put in the performances for a good few seasons yet.
Rafa
(Original post by BexTait)
He's been playing great so far this season, hopefully he'll keep it up and be able to put in the performances for a good few seasons yet.
I think hes done a great job in central midfield!
mancred
Report 12 years ago
last season we obviously were lacking in the midfield, but the reason why he does such a great job is because he is obviously fantastic in attack, but he also gets back and then plays almost a holding role
Rafa
last season we obviously were lacking in the midfield, but the reason why he does such a great job is because he is obviously fantastic in attack, but he also gets back and then plays almost a holding role
Thats experience for ya!
mancred
Report 12 years ago
there arent many other footballers with as much experience as him, thats for sure
Rafa
there arent many other footballers with as much experience as him, thats for sure
Well hes been here since the Premiership started...i think...
non-centrally acting
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by BexTait)
Sadly that's true, although there are still some players around that love their clubs. Ole being one of them, he is a true model footballer. Gone are the days when the majority of players only played for one or two clubs, now you have the likes of Ashley Cole and Shaun Wright-Philips moving for the money, not their careers.
I really don't like them players! I remember having an argument with my maths teacher about them, but really if you a choice to play for United and a club better than United (in the imaginary world ) who would you choose? Even if you were on basic wages at United?

I agree with what you're saying Juwel (hope I spelt that right) about our generation being different.
Rafa
Darth, when are you gonna fix us up a quiz again?
non-centrally acting
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by #2(Laika))
Darth, when are you gonna fix us up a quiz again?
soon I've got them somewhere, but have misplaced them somewhere!!!

Freaky thing is that I was thinking the same thing this morning :eek:
Rafa
(Original post by darth_vader05)
soon I've got them somewhere, but have misplaced them somewhere!!!

Freaky thing is that I was thinking the same thing this morning :eek:
BexTait
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I really don't like them players! I remember having an argument with my maths teacher about them, but really if you a choice to play for United and a club better than United (in the imaginary world ) who would you choose? Even if you were on basic wages at United?

I agree with what you're saying Juwel (hope I spelt that right) about our generation being different.
I'd choose United cos I'm a United fan! If I wasn't tho, I'd probably still choose United because of the club history and the whole atmosphere surrounding the club.
Juwel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by #2(Laika))
Well hes been here since the Premiership started...i think...
And even before. According to Manutd.com, he made his debut at Old Trafford vs Everton, 2nd March 1991. Having joined the club the previous July. He has made 675 United appearances (scoring 135 goals, exactly one goal per five games), 59 for Wales (scoring 11, similar ratio, also earning his only red card). Mr Ryan of Giggs, you sir are a true legend in a world that overuses the word. We are not worthy :adore: all bow down and worship the flying Welshman.

Juwel (hope I spelt that right)
You did good kid.

He gave us an extra dimension last season, with penetrative dribbling through the centre. Useful for a team who plays best and most often down the wings. And with a ball winner like John O'Shea alongside, Giggs' passing and technique is enough for him to excel in that position against most Premiership teams.
Rafa
(Original post by Juwel)
And even before. According to Manutd.com, he made his debut at Old Trafford vs Everton, 2nd March 1991. Having joined the club the previous July. He has made 675 United appearances (scoring 135 goals, exactly one goal per five games), 59 for Wales (scoring 11, similar ratio, also earning his only red card). Mr Ryan of Giggs, you sir are a true legend in a world that overuses the word. We are not worthy :adore: all bow down and worship the flying Welshman.
Indeed
Rafa
OPTA ANALYSIS: CARRICK V KEANE

Since Roy Keane’s departure by mutual consent in November of 2005, Sir Alex Ferguson has had trouble attempting to fill the void left in the central midfield anchorman role.

Ferguson has attempted to replace him with Juan Sebastian Veron, Eric Djemba-Djemba and even Alan Smith but Keane has until now been irreplaceable. Is Michael Carrick, the £18 million signing from Tottenham Hotspur the right man to replace him?

It would be foolish to expect Carrick to control the central midfield area in the same way that Keane would have done, as the two players are completely different specimens, Carrick lacks the imposing aggressive stature that made Keane such a fearsome player to face.

Carrick represents a different kind of player, the intelligent ball playing anchorman in the mould of Italy’s Andrea Pirlo, or in previous years Argentina’s Fernando Redondo or Spain’s Josep Guardiola.

Keane’s speciality was his tireless box to box running, whilst Carrick is renowned more for his elegant passes, and therefore prefers the ball to do the work.

Opta have looked at comparisons between the two players, the last full season for Roy Keane (2004-05) and the 2005/06 season for Michael Carrick.

Roy Keane had a high successful passing percentage of 89% compared to Carrick’s 80%, one factor affecting this may be Carrick’s inclination to play the long ball more often than Keane.

Unsurprisingly Keane conceded more fouls and also received more bookings than Carrick over the compared seasons but Carrick’s total of six assists promises to add a new level of creativity to the United midfield.

Code:
Player 	            Roy Keane 	                 Michael Carrick
Team 	     Manchester United 	          Tottenham Hotspur
Season 	               2004-05  	                       2005-06
Appearances 	         31 	                                   35
Minutes On Pitch       2,611 	                                3,123
Goal Attempts 	  	                                             
Goals 	                      1                                          2
Shots On Target          6                                         10
Shots Off Target 	 10 	                                   12
Shooting Accuracy      38% 	                                45%
Chance Conversion 	6% 	                                 9%
Passing 	  	 
Goal Assists 	             2 	                                       6
Total Passes 	          2,210 	                          1,938
Pass Completion % 	89% 	                                80%
Crossing 	  	 
Total Crosses 	            42 	                                     231
Cross Completion % 	40% 	                                31%
Dribbling 	  	 
Dribbles & Runs 	   123 	                                    108
Dribble Completion % 	 82% 	                                 79%
Defending 	  	 
Tackles Made 	           160 	                                    135
Tackles Won % 	          67% 	                                  74%
Blocks 	                        15 	                                 15
Clearances 	              47 	                              115
Interceptions 	              47 	                               60
Discipline 	  	 
Fouls 	                         37 	                                  19
Offside 	                 4 	                                   0
Yellow Cards 	              9 	                                 2
Red Cards 	               0 	                                 0
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have a role model?

Yes - I know them personally (294)
26.09%
Yes - they're famous (286)
25.38%
No I don't (547)
48.54%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise