Turn on thread page Beta

The Manchester United Society watch

Announcements

(Original post by BexTait)
    Back from the game, decent atmosphere and another attendance record.

Not our best of performances, although we did have some good spells of play in there. VDS helped make sure that Spurs didn't punish us for not putting our chances away. Evra once again looked solid at the back with some cracking tackles, and he made some great forward runs too. Nice to see Giggsy on the scoresheet again, especially with him being given the player of the month award on the pitch before the match. Roll on Celtic.
    Cant wait, ive missed the Champions League.

ReputationRep:
    Thats twice Ollie has got the score right and Ive not been able to rep him :p: he got my + 17 the other day lol

Gonna rep him after ive repped a few people as it wont let me....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by #2(Laika))
    Cant wait, ive missed the Champions League.
    Same here, I love the European nights, I've not been to one since the Benfica game almost a year ago as I couldn't make the other group games. Just need to decide what flag to get to take to the Celtic game...

Same here, I love the European nights, I've not been to one since the Benfica game almost a year ago as I couldn't make the other group games. Just need to decide what flag to get to take to the Celtic game...
    :ditto:, you can just feel the atmosphere over the telly...it must be great to actually be there

FERGIE SEES 'MATURE' UNITED SIDE

Sir Alex Ferguson praised Manchester United's growing maturity after the 1-0 success over Tottenham Hotspur.

Ryan Giggs' ninth minute header secured a fourth consecutive win for United to maintain the sole 100 percent record in The Premiership.

Ferguson felt The Red Devils merited their victory, in front of a Premiership record crowd, and was happy with the attitude of his players.

"We probably just edged it to day," Ferguson told PremPlus. "It was a very open game, which we expected and Tottenham put a lot into the game, too.

"After the internationals, I'm very pleased getting that result as you see the other results for teams at the top and they found it hard today.

"It's a matter of all the players are away and you don't have them. Some didn't play in 14 days and you don't see them.

"They do come back with a sort of difference to them and it takes a wee bit of time to get them going.

"I thought in the second half we showed better composure than in the first half. I'm pleased with the result. We've beaten a good side today and they will make an impact on this league."

The United boss also reserved words of praise for match-winner Giggs, who has been a stalwart of The Premiership.

He added: "He is showing his experience and maturity, and is using his experience.

"He has always had a lot of ability and he has been a fantastic player for this club, he will always go down now as one of the greatest players of all time.

"He's using his experience and that's pleasing to me. We need players who can do that for us."

Ahead of United's return to UEFA Champions League action against Celtic in midweek, Ferguson believes his players are ready to impress in Europe this season.

Ferguson continued: "European football beckons again and we want to improve from last year.

"We will improve, there is a far better maturity and you saw that in the final stages of the match today.

"There was a good composure, we didn't panic and took our time, and that's what I call increasing maturity in a football team."

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys! Wasn't too confident in my predicting ability after the first goal was scored in the first 10 minutes, but it turned out fine :p:

Glad to get the three points though, as the match against Arsenal should prove slightly more difficult. Although having seen the way they're playing at the moment, I don't really understand what they're doing. In the meantime, bring on the Champions League

Scholes and Rooney back

STRACHAN: NO FERGIE FEUD

Celtic manager Gordon Strachan says there is no more animosity between him and Sir Alex Ferguson.

Strachan, who played under Ferguson at both Aberdeen and Manchester United, takes his Celtic side to Old Trafford to face The Red Devils in their opening UEFA Champions League group clash on Wednesday evening.

The former Coventry City and Southampton boss fell out with Ferguson after the former Scotland boss claimed Strachan 'couldn't be trusted an inch' in his autobiography published seven years ago.

Despite the comments, Strachan is not concerned about the past, as he looks ahead to Wednesday's big European clash.

"All the history between me and Fergie is an irrelevance to Wednesday's game," Strachan told the Sunday Mirror.

"He sat in my office recently for 40 minutes and we laughed and joked and talked about football and the old days.

"What anyone interprets from that is up to them."

Strachan knows the Scottish Premier League champions appear as underdogs to those outside of Scotland.

"Our fans actually expect us to go to Old Trafford and beat United," he added. "But the rest of the football world say we are the underdogs and can play without pressure.

"In Glasgow, and in Scotland as a whole, they'll want us to take the win - even though we are playing against one of the world's best teams in one of the world's best stadiums.

"I'm new to the Champions League and so are nearly all my players. The United boys have got years and years of experience of it. But there's no pressure off us going there."

Ferguson, meanwhile, is keen his United side do not turn Wednesday's contest with The Bhoys into a 'Battle of Britain' grudge match.

"I think the thing I have to get rid of for this match is the England v Scotland thing - we have to get rid of that completely because if we go down that road, then we will make it harder for ourselves," Ferguson said in The People.

"We have to rely on the quality and experience we have shown in most of our European games, particularly those at Old Trafford.

"The rivalry is the thing we have got to dismiss because if you get caught in the emotions of it, then it could be costly."

United are aiming to put last season's shock exit from the Champions League group stages behind them this term, with centre back Rio Ferdinand claiming the Old Trafford club have not been good enough in Europe recently.

"I came here to win trophies and try and take this club to the next level in Europe," Ferdinand told the News of the World.

"I arrived four years ago and in my first season, we won the league, but we didn't do well in the Champions League.

"In fact, since United won the Champions League in 1999, we haven't looked like getting anywhere near winning it, which has been disappointing.

"It's not been good enough - but we aim to improve."

GIGGS: UNITED SDQUAD IS STRONG

Ryan Giggs is convinced Manchester United's squad is strong enough to cope with the twin demands of Barclays Premiership and Champions League combat.

United begin their latest European quest with a mouth-watering Old Trafford tussle with Celtic on Wednesday knowing they must do far better than their abysmal group stage elimination in the tournament last season.

Sir Alex Ferguson highlighted a lack of midfield depth within the Red Devils as one of the major reasons why they let themselves down so badly 12 months ago, so it was a major surprise the transfer window shut with Michael Carrick being the only major addition.

Yet Giggs believes United have the flexibility to maintain a push for the title and make major inroads in the Champions League for the first time since they reached the semi-finals in 2002.

"Our squad is strong enough," he said.

"We have two or three players for each position, which is what you want with so many big games coming up and the Champions League just round the corner.

"The important thing is not to suffer too many injuries or have too many players out through suspension. Providing we have more or less a full squad available, I am sure we can cope."

With Gabriel Heinze and Nemanja Vidic sidelined, Giggs will not get his wish, although in Wayne Rooney and Paul Scholes, the Red Devils have two players who will be determined to make an impact.

Both men have been frustrated spectators over the past month as they served the three-match domestic suspension imposed for their respective dismissals in the pre-season encounter with FC Porto in Amsterdam.

However, given Giggs' recent form, they will have to play well to eclipse the Welshman's contribution.

Three seasons ago, the 33-year-old was being written off as a top flight force.

But, after returning to top form in central midfield at the back end of last season, Giggs has carried on where he left off this term, leaving to suggestions he is now enjoying the most consistent spell of his entire career.

"I just feel really fresh," he said.

"I was able to get a good rest in the summer, was pretty sharp in pre-season and just managed to keep it going."

Giggs also feels he is being helped by the desire of both Sir Alex Ferguson and Wales coach John Toshack to move him around the pitch.

Whether he is in central midfield, playing off a main striker or operating on the left wing, the Cardiff-born veteran is totally comfortable.

"I quite enjoy not knowing where I am going to play," he laughed.

"I have played in all the positions anyway at one time or another, so I am not fazed by it. I just try to do the best I can and see what happens."

A veteran of many testimonial matches between Britain's best two supported clubs - including his own in 2001 - Giggs is looking forward to United's first competitive clash against Celtic with relish.

He knows the Premiership side will start overwhelming favourites to beat a team they thrashed at Parkhead in pre-season but he is expecting an intense evening.

"There has always been a great atmosphere whenever we have played Celtic and I cannot see why Wednesday should be any different," he said.

"Both clubs respect each other because they have such great histories.

"On the pitch, the testimonial games are usually pretty decent and I expect this one to be the same."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 6+6=6)
    looks like thi might just be our season
    Hope not.

(Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Hope not.
    4 wins out of 4, 12 points, our best start to a season...and thats without Rooney and Scholes...will only get better

ReputationRep:
    4 wins out of 4, 12 points, our best start to a season...and thats without Rooney and Scholes...will only get better
    I think the next 7 days will determine quite a lot to be honest. Our first game in the CL against a fairly tough Celtic (very important considering last year's dismal performances), and then Arsenal at the weekend. If we can do well in both of those then we're looking very good for the season ahead

(Original post by olliemccowan)
    I think the next 7 days will determine quite a lot to be honest. Our first game in the CL against a fairly tough Celtic (very important considering last year's dismal performances), and then Arsenal at the weekend. If we can do well in both of those then we're looking very good for the season ahead
    I expect us to play at a high tempo in our next two home games, i really feel we can maintain a good position in the Premiership and the Champions League if we can stay clear from injuries, we've still got Gabby and Smudjer to come back into the team also, looking good

ReputationRep:
    I expect us to play at a high tempo in our next two home games, i really feel we can maintain a good position in the Premiership and the Champions League if we can stay clear from injuries, we've still got Gabby and Smudjer to come back into the team also, looking good
    God TSR annoys me so much these days, you write a reply to a post, hit send and it can't even guarantee it'll send it. Going to have to copy everything I write each time in case it just says "Cannot find server" again :mad:

Anyways, what I said was:

I definitely agree with the high tempo, with the pace we have running throughout the team, we should be able to definitely cause them major problems. With Giggs and Ronaldo on the wings, as well as Rooney and Saha up front, there's just pace everywhere. And with Evra and Neville supplying the support and some great crosses on the wings, I really think it's going to be an interesting game. Shame it's not on a Tuesday so I could watch it on ITV1

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure how tough Celtic will be, it is a European game so that should mean something. On the other hand, we beat them for Keano's testimonial, and also pre-season our reserves beat a near enough full strength Celtic team.

Be good to have Scholes and Rooney back, plus Smudger's ready to come back. Only down side is that Ronaldo's suspended for the game. Gonna be a cracker, I reckon it'll be 3-1 United.

I'm not sure how tough Celtic will be, it is a European game so that should mean something. On the other hand, we beat them for Keano's testimonial, and also pre-season our reserves beat a near enough full strength Celtic team.

Be good to have Scholes and Rooney back, plus Smudger's ready to come back. Only down side is that Ronaldo's suspended for the game. Gonna be a cracker, I reckon it'll be 3-1 United.
    Annoying that!

ReputationRep:
    Ah that's annoying, I didn't know that

Ah that's annoying, I didn't know that
    Yeh he was fined after Benfica game for gesturing at the crowd and banned for one match

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know if Mr Power is actually permantly banned from TSR? I just got a nice little message of him on msn.>
    over the bridge says:
    over the bridge says:
    3-0 3-0 oo u and ur crappy team jack mate, ure full of **** u lad, dont eat crouchs poo and study, ure gcses are **** and ure face looks like a tosser , get a grip and more importantly a life
    And people wonder why i have a hatred for mancs

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.